Author Topic: The Flawed Updated AH  (Read 2976 times)

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
well not to give hitech pause but?
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2006, 01:33:04 PM »
You basically have 2 games going on at once. This in and of itself creates the problems most of us complain of. You have people who want nothing more than to furball/mix it up as you call it, fine. But you have people who want to play the game as a "risk" base game, which captures lead to the eventual completion of the game.
Until you figure out how to split the 2 from the same arena, 1 will always interfere with the other. This creates easy kills for the kill/stat flier, and nothing but headaches and bad blood for the "risk" type player. The kill/strat player has no mission and nothing to lose by attacking. He defends no base, attacks no base for no other purpose than to furball/vultch. Great life there, nothin to lose.
Were does the fun for all factor kick in when your being shot down by someone who has no mission in the game?
I drive 100 miles to work every day, that is my mission, to get to work, what if i go out and get hit head on by a kid just running around for the fun of it because he had nothing better to do? Who won the game there?

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
The Flawed Updated AH
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2006, 02:07:47 PM »
I drive 100 miles to work every day, that is my mission, to get to work, what if i go out and get hit head on by a kid just running around for the fun of it because he had nothing better to do? Who won the game there?

I believe neither won in your case, but it does in no way say your "mission" is better because you are driving 100 miles, vs the person who's mission is just to enjoy his car and the outdoors. Nor should you have to build 2 separate road systems for the 2 different reasons for driving. And really would it make any difference to you if you were hit by someone also on a work mission? Outcome is identical.

He defends no base, attacks no base for no other purpose than to furball/vultch

And it makes no difference what his reasons  are. If he is uping from a base and killing people, he is having an influence on the fight and field defense. If he is killing people at a field, he is influencing a base attack.

And as to 2 different games/play styles. There are a lot more than just 2.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 02:12:47 PM by hitech »

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
The Flawed Updated AH
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2006, 02:10:40 PM »
Originally posted by Ghosth
RTGorkle, yes basically it is, because it would then be up to the 15 knights who logged on to help balance sides again.

Side balance is everyones problem, until everyone learns to do it its going to be a pain in the posterior.  Its really not that hard, people who flew regularly in the AvA arena do it all the time. And unlike the AvA, here it doesn't even make you change your ride.

Amen Ghost!
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
The Flawed Updated AH
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2006, 02:15:34 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
The difference, though, is that in AvA there is no time limit on side switching.  In the MAs you get one switch, basically.  At low number times this means that people entering the arena really have to be careful where they go, I would think.

- oldman

The limit in the EWA, MWA and LWA's is a whole 1 hour.   Not tough at all, either switch or deal with the consequences.   I have never liked "chesspiece loyalty".   When I started in NAZGUL, we'd switch on any given night.   I then went to CAF and tried to get the squad to switch for ONE NIGHT and wing with The Flying Circus, "chesspiece loyalty" nixed it.   Now, my 3 squaddies switch to help out balancing.   A shame others are selfish, but it comes around eventually to bite em.  

If one cannot stand to be "Away from their friends for one hour", you should see a shrink because there's something you should be treating.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
The Flawed Updated AH
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2006, 02:25:27 PM »
if you are worried about side balance, and dont wana switch sides, switch SERVERS.

whenever i come on to a server and knits have extra players i go else where. I also try to drag my squad and others with me.
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Online rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
The Flawed Updated AH
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2006, 03:07:48 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
Rabbit, if you can find a way to lure people into an arena while retaining 1:3:9 odds with no penalties, restrictions, or balancing mechanisms, you're a pretty smart guy.

Whether it's 1:3:9 or 100:300:900, the low numbered side is getting the shaft. I don't see any benefit in trying to screw them over more, or the high numbers side any less. There is no reason whatsoever to rationalize lopsided country populations, no matter how large or small.

What I am saying is that the dynamics are different when you have 13 people in the arena vs 1300.  Even one or two guys logging off will affect the entire dynamic when there is only 20 in total.  That dynamic resolves itself with scale and balancing acts using carrots (perk bonus) and sticks (ENY limiter) become more effective.  When there is under 150 or so in a respective arena you would be best served by getting those numbers higher and then worry about slapping them around and having less there.  Even in a small arena less than 100 or so is pretty imbalanced no matter what because you lack critical mass.  Without critical mass you have a bunch hitting one place and just a few defenders while another group outnumbers others elsewhere.  Ever notice that it takes so many before there are actually even numbers spread throughout?  Thats my opinion.

Offline Wurger

• Copper Member
Re: playing the game or rolling furball?
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2006, 03:32:18 PM »
Originally posted by wrongwayric
Some play the game to fulfill the actual parameters that it was designed for, which is to overcome and conquer bases, and eventually the country, thus winning the war/game.
By jumping sides, and no effort to capture or kill anything in the game, you are the furballer/horde people that are the ones i complain about. You have no serious interest in the overall game play, just want to log kills.
I enjoy seeing my kill's go up and my stats getting better also, but i play to capture and overcome the map, not just to up with no purpose in mind and no end goal other than my stats.
1 dimensional thinking, log kills.
3 dimensional thinking, base capture, win war/game, check stats.
I guess this is a debate that could go on forever, as we both pay to play as we like.  
It's "rock em sock em robots" V.S. "risk"!:lol

Just because one likes to dogfight (or furball as you call it), does not mean one is a 1 dimensional thinker.  You also appear to think that because you like to capture bases and track your stats you are the only one who has a "mission" (as referenced in your other post after this one).

Now, let me assure you that if you are engaged in a furball or dogfight, you'll never get better, or even survive if your thinking 1 dimensionally as you claim.  You need to be thinking about where you are in relation to goodguys/badguys/bases/ack, etc, what your opponent will do next (and possibly after that), as well as how you are going to counter it and gain advantage.  As for a "mission", my personal mission in AH is to up, fight, learn and get better, and land.  If I don't do all of these, then my "mission" has failed.  Now, this certainly sounds more "Risk" (yes I used to play this game frequently) like as opposed to "Rock-em/Sock-em Robots.

The real point here is that we are fortunate to have an excellent, affordable, fun game in which many different individual goals can be realized.  Don't hate on others because their goals are different than yours.
Bazi
The Flying Circus

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
The Flawed Updated AH
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2006, 03:33:08 PM »
Originally posted by Overlag
if you are worried about side balance, and dont wana switch sides, switch SERVERS.

whenever i come on to a server and knits have extra players i go else where. I also try to drag my squad and others with me.

This is what I do too.

Hate to say it, but I've given up on having balanced arenas altogether. If its 2 big countires and one getting swarmed, I've stopped even trying to help the low side. I'll look for a nice fight or a fun capture (ie not undefended); if I cant find one, I just leave the arena and go somewhere else.

It doesnt help the arena, and it doesnt help the game at all, but that's the hand we've been dealt. I'm playing to have fun, not to enable social justice....even if the society is a game.

I dont see how to do anything else until either there are enough willing to balance things on our own, or until HT changes the system to enforce balancing better somehow or other.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
The Flawed Updated AH
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2006, 04:17:10 PM »
Originally posted by Simaril

Hate to say it, but I've given up on having balanced arenas altogether.

same here.

the number 1 issue now, is if a side isnt having fun they goto another server.. making the server (and the server THEY goto unbalanced).

this then leads to making it a race to reset.

some say people are leaving servers because they are getting reset, but its often not the case, you might have 3 even sides all having fun, then slowly side B starts to quit and goto server B. which leads to them loosing ground making more leave. its a vicious circle.

mean while in server B, side B has double the numbers and and side A and C arnt having fun so side A and C start to leave this server to join server A...  so now we have

A B C
A: 120:40:120 (B quitting to go B)
B: 40:120:40 (A and C quitting to go A)

utterly silly and still nothing is done about it.
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Online rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
The Flawed Updated AH
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2006, 05:16:28 PM »
Originally posted by Simaril
This is what I do too.

Hate to say it, but I've given up on having balanced arenas altogether. If its 2 big countires and one getting swarmed, I've stopped even trying to help the low side. I'll look for a nice fight or a fun capture (ie not undefended); if I cant find one, I just leave the arena and go somewhere else.

It doesnt help the arena, and it doesnt help the game at all, but that's the hand we've been dealt. I'm playing to have fun, not to enable social justice....even if the society is a game.

I dont see how to do anything else until either there are enough willing to balance things on our own, or until HT changes the system to enforce balancing better somehow or other.

Same here Simaril.  I fail to see where its my obligation for the same.  I think the "you get put on the side with the lowest numbers in the EW and MW arenas" is a great idea until they reach a critical mass on thier own.  You can always switch from there if you want but most won't and that will do far more for balance than ENY or perk bonuses.

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
The Flawed Updated AH
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2006, 08:09:09 PM »
Did no one see thats 2 post's by HiTech, and No spelling Mistakes. Come on. wheres the real HiTech :)
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
The Flawed Updated AH
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2006, 08:24:18 PM »
he's probably using Firefox with the built in spell checker.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
The debate continues
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2006, 12:50:50 AM »
Originally posted by hitech
I believe neither won in your case, but it does in no way say your "mission" is better because you are driving 100 miles, vs the person who's mission is just to enjoy his car and the outdoors. Nor should you have to build 2 separate road systems for the 2 different reasons for driving. And really would it make any difference to you if you were hit by someone also on a work mission? Outcome is identical.

And it makes no difference what his reasons  are. If he is uping from a base and killing people, he is having an influence on the fight and field defense. If he is killing people at a field, he is influencing a base attack.

And as to 2 different games/play styles. There are a lot more than just 2.

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
to dispute
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2006, 01:29:31 AM »
UH let's see, we have secondary roads and primary roads. A primary road is an interstate which was desiged for the transportation of goods and military hardware, at least that was the original design, not for holiday travelers and joy riders. Secondary roads were actually left in place and it was thought that people would use them for that purpose, to take a holiday, sight see, or just to get out and enjoy there ride.
Unfortunately businessmen and women found that by using the interstate they could get to work faster, which was ok, but then the holiday traveler found he could zip to his picked vaction spot faster, still ok, then came the joyrider/killer.
This individual be he drunk or just out for a quick thrill ride made the overall interstate a killing field. He may just zip on at one ramp cut across 3/4 lanes, go 1/4 mile, zip across 3/4 lanes and exit. He doesn't have a mission or purpose and doesn't care who he kills, after all he's just doing his thing. Just out driving his ride, getting a thrill on.
He doesn't care that you will fail in your mission, your family is seriously injured or, god forbid, killed! Remember, he's just doing his thing.
I guess the best thing to do in the game is get rid of the country/base capture, field killing should be impossible. Why have all that if you just want a bunch of us flying around killing each other? Oh ya, might as well disband all the squads to, what the heck no need for co operation, as there is no goal.
We have a dueling arena, why donn't the killers go there? We have a special event arena, why donn't they go there?

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
The Flawed Updated AH
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2006, 01:48:57 AM »
wrongwayric, what name do you fly under?  I want to check something.

(never understood people posting on the bbs and not giving the name they fly under)
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit