Author Topic: Testing Capture system in LW orange today  (Read 37681 times)

Offline Laurie

• Nickel Member
Testing Capture system in LW orange today
« Reply #345 on: November 30, 2006, 03:51:03 PM »
i have a slight modification which i think will please more than currnet one,

make say supply chains, you have to work along this chain to supply bases you capture,
so , more bases/ chains to start on rather than 1 long snake,
 make small islands immune to chains so CV[s can be useful again.

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #346 on: November 30, 2006, 03:51:20 PM »
I haven't played in a while, so let me see if I understand this correctly:

When I decide to take a base with some other players, I no longer have to worry about not seeing an enemy in the process and becoming bored to tears.

When I up for base defense, I won't be playing whack-a-mole hoping the lemmings will attack somewhere near me if I don't up from a vulched field.

This could change my mind about waiting for TOD to start playing again. Thanks!

Offline Laurie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #347 on: November 30, 2006, 03:52:25 PM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
I suggest you read more on the subject of D-Day.   Wow!  

Germasn belived ally's would hit further up the coast, so they sent they stronger units there., allys attacked a weak piont in defensive line.

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #348 on: November 30, 2006, 03:53:55 PM »
HiTech

Im a bit torn about this idea. You do adress my biggest concerns about the game at the cost of the most appealing potential of the game. Is this the tradeoff that has to be payed? Maybe, maybe not.

You do adress the fact that people are avoiding fights in a game that is all about combat.  You also create combat zones which is very good for EU hours when problem of people not wanting to fight is even bigger due to the small numbers.

But you do it at cost of "player driven strategy" basicly you paint a path that we have to walk. Well I cant blame you since we havent been utilizing the strategical element of the game at all we have just been hoarding and avoiding each other.

A negative side effect of your "path" system is that it generates quite few combat zones. I know Im contradicting the positiv thing this brings for the EU times. But when numbers rise we have huge fights in a few spots.

Once again good since we need fights in the game but for me personally I dont care much for the 20+ vs 20+ fights. They are too much about cherry pickin and too little about pilots going head to head pushing each others skill to the limmit.

Im the type of pilot who loves 5v5 sized fights. These are getting lost in the new system.

Im not sure that the path system is the "true solution to the problem".

As I see it the reason people avoid each other is that no one steps in the way of the other and that is because there is no incentive for defense.

Why defend a base when you can take 3 others in the same time? Heck yeah you trade 1 base for 3 bases.

Both teams start thinkin the same way and we have "the race". The race for who can take most bases in the least ammount of time. If you really wana pick em as fast as you can then you definatly wana avoid the enemy.

I mean if the incentive to defend was just as high if not higher then the incentive to attack then people would try to get into each others way.

For example if you wouldnt get ord, fuel and troops at a newly taken field util you have held it for say 2-3 hours.

Then you would have to defend it and just rushing on would steach your supply line and slow you down.

Would it be possible to accomplish what you are after by doing something like that instead?

Tex

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #349 on: November 30, 2006, 03:54:05 PM »
Originally posted by dtango
"So long, and thanks for all the fish!" :).  See if anyone gets it.

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs

It's the fourth book of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series written by Douglas Adams. Its title is the message left by the dolphins when they departed Planet Earth just before it was demolished to make way for a hyperspatial express route.

SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
« Reply #350 on: November 30, 2006, 03:54:06 PM »
Just to add my two (worthless) cents...

Speaking as someone who pretty much only flies after 10pm pacific time, I *LOVE* the new system. There's actually a reason to get up off the couch and turn off the TV at night.

The old system had combatants so spread out that finding a fight was a total crapshoot. Now I know where the fight is, and now I know where I should direct my base-capture efforts.

It seems to me that the new capture system should take into account the number of pilots sort of like this:

under 120 pilots online: 1 capturable base per country
121-190 pilots online: 2 capturable bases per country
over 191 pilots online: 3 capturable bases per country

In other words, a second or third front becomes a possibility only where there are enough pilots to make those battles self-supporting and worthwhile.

Three Cheers for HT!!!

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline Laurie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #351 on: November 30, 2006, 03:54:35 PM »
Originally posted by Stang
Haha, this whole whinefest has been about nothing then.  If people could just read, all would be well.   Thanks Skuzzball.

:D

Somehow I think the myths about this new setup will take weeks to get rid of though, as usual. lol.

only 4 or so fields are in capture list for each country though, 1/2 of these are v bases by the hq and unreachable.

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #352 on: November 30, 2006, 03:54:44 PM »
Originally posted by VOR
I haven't played in a while, so let me see if I understand this correctly:

When I decide to take a base with some other players, I no longer have to worry about not seeing an enemy in the process and becoming bored to tears.

When I up for base defense, I won't be playing whack-a-mole hoping the lemmings will attack somewhere near me if I don't up from a vulched field.

This could change my mind about waiting for TOD to start playing again. Thanks!

Yup that's it in a nutshell, no more whack-a-mole chasing the guys who flee from any defenders. Only part you left out is the whining from the moles who realize might have to deal with your hammer now.

Offline Laurie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #353 on: November 30, 2006, 03:55:31 PM »
Originally posted by llama
Just to add my two (worthless) cents...

Speaking as someone who pretty much only flies after 10pm pacific time, I *LOVE* the new system. There's actually a reason to get up off the couch and turn off the TV at night.

The old system had combatants so spread out that finding a fight was a total crapshoot. Now I know where the fight is, and now I know where I should direct my base-capture efforts.

It seems to me that the new capture system should take into account the number of pilots sort of like this:

under 120 pilots online: 1 capturable base per country
121-190 pilots online: 2 capturable bases per country
over 191 pilots online: 3 capturable bases per country

In other words, a second or third front becomes a possibility only where there are enough pilots to make those battles self-supporting and worthwhile.

Three Cheers for HT!!!

-Llama

that seems like a promising and interesting idea :)

<>,

Offline twitchy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #354 on: November 30, 2006, 03:56:02 PM »
Originally posted by Stang
Haha, this whole whinefest has been about nothing then.  If people could just read, all would be well.  

About nothing? Jesus H. We don't want to hit predetermined bases, I can do that kind of stuff all day long on gametap in games like Frogger and Galaga. SCREW FORCED FURBALLING. That's not the game I enjoy, if that's the game you enjoy, then play it that way. That's the joy of the game, it offers both types of gameplay. Oh My God, You mean some people don't like playing your way? Those filthy toolshedders. You guys are rich.
Founder & CO
Pigs on the Wing
Oinking Bases since 2000 AD

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
« Reply #355 on: November 30, 2006, 03:56:10 PM »
Originally posted by Laurie
Germasn belived ally's would hit further up the coast, so they sent they stronger units there., allys attacked a weak piont in defensive line.

O/T: how old are you laurie and what part of the UK are you from?

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #356 on: November 30, 2006, 03:56:26 PM »
Originally posted by Laurie

Almost undefended sure seems to imply it was a cakewalk.  Weak being a relative term to how Normandy was defended vs the Pas De Calaise.

We're not talking about a completely undefended AH base that 5 guys can take by themselves are we.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #357 on: November 30, 2006, 03:56:26 PM »
Shhhh....let folks keep fighting over a few bases....lol

pay no attention to Skuzzy's post.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #358 on: November 30, 2006, 03:56:48 PM »
twitchy: Know where in any of your post did I happen to see you say I love just looking for people attacking and then go defend a base. In fact I do not believe I have seen anyone post "defending open bases is there favorite way of playing".

So you are telling people to do stuff that no one has said that they enjoy doing.

Hence why the test we are doing.

HiTech

Offline twitchy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #359 on: November 30, 2006, 04:01:36 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
twitchy: Know where in any of your post did I happen to see you say I love just looking for people attacking and then go defend a base. In fact I do not believe I have seen anyone post "defending open bases is there favorite way of playing".

So you are telling people to do stuff that no one has said that they enjoy doing.

Hence why the test we are doing.

HiTech

Oh no you don't. I defend the living crap out of bases. I'd say about half my game play is spent defending bases, I'd go so far to say I enjoy defending. I actually put some effort into it, and I don't go whinning on the BB when a base goes undefended and gets taken.
Founder & CO
Pigs on the Wing
Oinking Bases since 2000 AD