Author Topic: Does this news from the Middle East surprise anyone here?  (Read 3224 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Does this news from the Middle East surprise anyone here?
« on: November 30, 2006, 02:58:38 PM »
Nothing new here, a majority suspected this all along, and a small minority discounted it. Our armed forces have confiscated Iranian arms and ammo made in 2006.  So what shall we do? I don't think there is much we can do...perhaps pull out of Iraq, and begin plans for Iran would be a good choice. What do you think?

http://abcnews.go.com/International/IraqCoverage/story?id=2688501

My question is this: Do you think this impeded the democracy process that the US tried to instill in Iraq after the war? Do you think that these arms, and trained insurgents, created the chaos that is now happing in Iran?

Skuzzy, I have indeed provided a link to a report. I've commented on this report. Is there anything else I need to do in order to keep this thread up, and civil? Let me know before you close it for one of the rules you've posted.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 03:01:44 PM by Ripsnort »

Offline kamilyun

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 03:03:05 PM »
If we know where the factory is, bomb it.  

And claim that it was an anti-Iranian militia operating w/o US knowledge or support. :rofl  :t

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 03:23:54 PM »
last I heard, the democratically elected leader of Iraq was meeting with Iran to discuss a future of friendship and cooperation. Highlights of the meeting between Iraqi President Jalal Talabani and Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad include (from the Chicago Tribune ):

* Iran would support Iraq's government in setting a timetable for U.S. troops to leave the country.

* Giving the Baghdad government a $1 billion line of credit.

* "Hundreds of millions of dollars" worth of no-bid contracts and trade pacts for Iraqi reconstruction. Under the agreements, Iran will help rebuild schools, hospitals, pipelines and power plants.

* At no time during the three days of talks was there any public mention of the militias blamed for much of the bloodletting in Iraq--notably *****e militias that could be influenced by leaders of the Islamic Republic of Iran.

* Talabani said the two countries "had complete agreement" in three days of talks.

It looks like we may have to reinvade Iraq before we get started on Iran -- they don't seem to be the type of democracy we had in mind when we started this whole thing.

Charon

Offline red26

• Silver Member
      • http://www.red25s.zoomshare.com
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 03:45:38 PM »
Turn them into a glass parking lot I say. All of thouse countrys are in this together from India to Iran NOOKEM!!!:t :aok
US ARMY LEAD THE WAY

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 03:58:41 PM »
Originally posted by Charon
last I heard, the democratically elected leader of Iraq was meeting with Iran to discuss a future of friendship and cooperation. Highlights of the meeting between Iraqi President Jalal Talabani and Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad include (from the Chicago Tribune ):

* Iran would support Iraq's government in setting a timetable for U.S. troops to leave the country.

* Giving the Baghdad government a $1 billion line of credit.

* "Hundreds of millions of dollars" worth of no-bid contracts and trade pacts for Iraqi reconstruction. Under the agreements, Iran will help rebuild schools, hospitals, pipelines and power plants.

* At no time during the three days of talks was there any public mention of the militias blamed for much of the bloodletting in Iraq--notably *****e militias that could be influenced by leaders of the Islamic Republic of Iran.

* Talabani said the two countries "had complete agreement" in three days of talks.

It looks like we may have to reinvade Iraq before we get started on Iran -- they don't seem to be the type of democracy we had in mind when we started this whole thing.

Charon

Which has me scratching my head...Iran creates chaos in Iraq, so that Iraq comes to terms with Iran...hmmmm.

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 04:53:24 PM »
No surprise at all. Iran has been supplying the Shia for a long time. If for no other reason than as a response to Sunni militants been supplied out of Syria. The Sunnis remember, essentially initiated the terrorism and insurgency. At the moment it is mostly directed at the Shias.

The whole Iraq situation has moved away from the idealistic and now with hindsight, the rather naive idea that by deposing Saddam, Iraqis would embrace democracy and unite, whether Kurd, Shia or Sunni to make a new Iraq free from tyranny.

In fact, with Saddam gone Iraq is revealed as cobbled together relic of imperialism peopled by disparate and squabbling tribes which was only held together because they were all scared of Saddam.  Like a lot of the middle east, Iraq is an artificial country. The borders could have been drawn almost anywhere.

In one sense, the coalition prescence is academic now. The real fight is between the Shia and Sunni and the split is a very real possibility. The Mahdi army with Iran's help probably mean to take over the south in due course. Iraq will cease to exist at that point. That's why the Iraqi government has gone to Iran. Probably in a vain attempt to stave off this possibility.  I think you will find that Iranian aid to Iraq will be spent mostly in the south.

In effect, whether by means of a coup or simple evolution. The Shia south will go it's own way with a substantial part of the oil reserves.

Some years from now Iraq could be in three parts, Kurdistan backed by the USA, Shiaistan backed by Iran and Sunnistan, Syria.

At that point we can all look back and decide if the sacrifice was worth it.

Offline kamilyun

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 05:01:36 PM »
The Turks will unleash a B****storm never before seen if the Kurds get their own country.  

Would be kind of interesting, though.  I don't see why the Kurds in eastern Turkery, northern Iraq and northwestern Iran can't have their own country.

Offline Flatbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 05:04:03 PM »
Umm, aren't IED's devices improvised from components found on the feild of battle?

Iranian-made munitions found in Iraq include advanced IEDs designed to pierce armor and anti-tank weapons. U.S. intelligence believes the weapons have been supplied to Iraq's growing Shia militias from Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps, which is also believed to be training Iraqi militia fighters in Iran.

How in the heck do you manufacture an IED at a munitions plant, wouldn't that then be a conventional device?

Someone seems to be, probably these annonymouse sources, spicing up a study or report to please their boss, naw, that NEVER happens, huh.

Interesting article though, I just wonder what the truth really is.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 05:22:23 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Which has me scratching my head...Iran creates chaos in Iraq, so that Iraq comes to terms with Iran...hmmmm.

We've known for years that Chalabi was an Iranian stooge, and as such was helpful in getting the Bush Administration to remove Saddam and the Bathists from power, and helping the Iraqi Shia to come to power.  

Now the Iranian Shia on the ground are getting aid in the form of weapons from Iran and the Shia politcos are getting in bed with them...what exactly is making you scratch your head?

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 05:43:24 PM »
Originally posted by cpxxx
The whole Iraq situation has moved away from the idealistic and now with hindsight, the rather naive idea that by deposing Saddam, Iraqis would embrace democracy and unite, whether Kurd, Shia or Sunni to make a new Iraq free from tyranny.

You know, some people actually had the forsight to predict this eventuality long before the invasion.

Welcome to the world Great Persia, thank the "coalition" for your existence.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 07:48:31 PM »
Apologise to Hussein let him out of prison and reinstall the Baathist regime NOW. Before the fediddleing Iranitards go nukular!
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 08:20:16 PM »
Originally posted by red26
Turn them into a glass parking lot I say. All of thouse countrys are in this together from India to Iran NOOKEM!!!:t :aok

how does India threaten the security of the United States?  Just because the majority of liquer stores and 7-11s in this country are owned by Hindu's doesn't constitute a threat to this country.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 08:27:26 PM »
Originally posted by cpxxx
No surprise at all. Iran has been supplying the Shia for a long time. If for no other reason than as a response to Sunni militants been supplied out of Syria. The Sunnis remember, essentially initiated the terrorism and insurgency. At the moment it is mostly directed at the Shias.

Syria also supports the Shi'ites as well.  Even though Assad is a secular muslim his Alawite sect is an offshoot of Shi'ite Islam and in 1973, Sadr who was the Grand Mullah of the Shi'ites before being killed by Hussein declared the Alawite sect as part of Shi'ite Islam.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 08:53:15 PM »
Nothing Iran has done since 1979 surprises me.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 09:21:24 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
how does India threaten the security of the United States?  Just because the majority of liquer stores and 7-11s in this country are owned by Hindu's doesn't constitute a threat to this country.

ack-ack

Hey hey hey!!!!! We MUST protect our stop and robs and our sacred liquor suplies!!!  :mad:  :noid :noid :noid
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown