Author Topic: curious - rear mirrors  (Read 1938 times)

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
curious - rear mirrors
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2007, 04:03:59 AM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
bunch-o-techno jargon
but he's got it right.

pretty much not possible in today's gaming industry overall, and with AH's view system, why would you need it other than not checking your 6 and having bad SA?
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Irwink!

• Nickel Member
      • http://msn.com
curious - rear mirrors
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2007, 05:44:32 AM »
I want side view mirrors too.

I want mirrors! I want mirrors! :p

Offline FBplmmr

• Silver Member
curious - rear mirrors
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2007, 06:25:45 AM »
Originally posted by DamnedRen
eh,

I'm pretty sure I was around during your drug years :) and I don't ever remember AW, in any version, having a working rear view mirror and when I hit fwd up on my stick I kinda, well, looked...fwd up. Hmmm, if it happened in the 60's I might not have remembered but AW?

Ren
The Damned

aw3 most definately had the mirrors... spit had the round/oval mirror, corsair had the curved rectangular, I don't remember what the cat had.

while I would like to see mirrors (if they had an option to turn em off) the next best alternative is to hope your enemy is using tracers:D   nothing gives away a position quite like a stream of bright pretty colored bullets in a belt full of tracer rounds.

its been a long time but maybee the mirror in AW was the back view?

(there was also a mirror in MONSTER TRUCK MADNESS!!!! BOOHAAA HAAA)

Offline FBplmmr

• Silver Member
curious - rear mirrors
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2007, 06:33:04 AM »
the more I think about it the more I am leaning to the mirror was just cockpit clutter in normal forward view and then when you hit back view it was still forward view but your focus was centered and zoomed on the rearview mirror and at that poin it was functional.

dont mess with my head I am sure I remember it!  and the older I get, the better I was!

Offline B3YT

• Silver Member
curious - rear mirrors
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2007, 07:39:30 AM »
i know that US navy fighters has mirrors.  Air fleet defender had mirrors. even BoB on the C64 had mirrors. and i'm sure that Flanker 2 has mirrors, F16 falcon series has mirrors too.  Janes IAF has mirrors.   wings over........Shall  give more examples?
As the cleaners say :"once more unto the bleach"

Offline Hwkeye

• Copper Member
Problems aside...
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2007, 02:04:34 PM »
...I still want it!  Make the look up (at the mirror) an automatic zoom function which will negate a lot of the two images issue and increase the size of any image shown in the mirror,

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
curious - rear mirrors
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2007, 02:25:21 PM »
AW had a mirror view, not working mirrors.  When you used the rear snap view, it was reversed, like looking in a mirror.

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
curious - rear mirrors
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2007, 02:37:12 PM »
I want the big trailer mirrors with electronic adjustment from inside & some curb feelers.

Seriously though, I'm sure there is a way to put the mirror in without ruining the frame rate but I bet it would be hard to code so that it actually gives an accurate representation of what is going on behind you. It would probably need to be placed so that you had to move your view to look at it & in that case, you could just look behind you with the same motion on the stick.

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
curious - rear mirrors
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2007, 04:40:45 PM »
Originally posted by Brenjen

Seriously though, I'm sure there is a way to put the mirror in without ruining the frame rate but I bet it would be hard to code so that it actually gives an accurate representation of what is going on behind you.  

I think you got that backwards (Reference the quote from the Master Couder).  If they correctly represented the mirrors, I doubt it would do much good seeing anything except an aircrafts prop chewing on you tail.  It might make a good makeup mirror?? :)

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
curious - rear mirrors
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2007, 06:10:57 PM »
I don't think I have it backwards at all. If they modeled the mirror so it was in a frame by itself it's not going to effect the frame rate at all, think about it. If they did that so you would have to use your view hat to look up at it you could just as easily look behind you.

My saying I thought it would be difficult to code was referring to getting the image reversed & the distance accurately represented, not the position of the mirror stuck on the windscreen in your forward view.

Offline aqhawasi

• Zinc Member
I support rear view mirrors
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2007, 06:57:40 PM »
The mirror doesnt have to be placed on the screen at all.  It could be displayed on  its own when pressing a key.  

The main reason i would want to see it implemented is so that I could sneak up on Betty while she is applying makeup to her cartoon character and blow her out of the sky.  :aok

Peru

Offline brucerer

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.miraclehat.net
curious - rear mirrors
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2007, 07:17:33 PM »
Originally posted by Brenjen
...If they did that so you would have to use your view hat to look up at it you could just as easily look behind you.

Well then whats the point? Just look behind you.

Oh and as far as i'm aware, creating a mirror doesnt involve creating a double of the whole world. The mirror just acts like another camera displaying the same world from another angle. There is still only one 'copy' of an object and framerate is only affected when that object is in view. You could have a thousand planes right behind you but out of your field of view and your framerate would not be affected (though your processor / internet connection could be going haywire to cope with all the information so you might get warping etc). It only when objects get drawn to the screen that your framerate suffers.

But meanwhile i agree with the 'mirror would be too small to be usefull' argument.

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
curious - rear mirrors
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2007, 07:34:25 PM »
Note the quote in the third post by Murdr in this thread.
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline FBplmmr

• Silver Member
curious - rear mirrors
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2007, 07:41:27 PM »
ok ...then how about a cupholder?:D

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
curious - rear mirrors
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2007, 10:51:58 PM »
The mirror doesnt have to be placed on the screen at all. It could be displayed on its own when pressing a key.

I'm seriously against this.

If there is a mirror which would be used as a means to look straight back in the game, then it should be implemented with all its disadvantages. The small size, the shakes and blurs, and the very teeney tiny bit of detail depicted which just might allow a pilot to catch glimpse of something behind him.

Otherwise if a separate 'mirror view' will put up a screen which lets you see everything behind your 6 in full-size, sort of like how EAW used to, then we might as well ask HT for transparent cockpits too.

Personally, I'd like to see mirrors in the game as well, but if we're not gonna have them the right way, then we're better off not having them at all.