Author Topic: curious - rear mirrors  (Read 1937 times)

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
curious - rear mirrors
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2007, 06:04:37 PM »
Originally posted by republic
Surely the average PC of today is more than capable.

Strike 2! HiTech doesnt like to be called Shirley
:rofl

Offline republic

• Silver Member
curious - rear mirrors
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2007, 06:27:50 PM »
*runs around waving a white flag flailing his arms wildly*

I surrender I surrender!  Please don't take my AH away!
P-47 pilot

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
curious - rear mirrors
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2007, 06:38:02 PM »
Originally posted by brucerer
Well then whats the point? Just look behind you.

Um, that WAS the point To keep the game from suffering a frame rate hit that would effect some of the slower machines you would need to set the "mirror view" in a frame by itself; you could access that frame with your view hat....but why have it coded in if you need to use the view hat to access it? You could just as easily use the same hat switch to simply look behind you.

Speaka' dee eengleesh? :lol

Offline Dr1337

• Zinc Member
curious - rear mirrors
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2007, 09:35:17 PM »
This thread is a waste of bandwidth.

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
curious - rear mirrors
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2007, 09:47:24 PM »
Originally posted by Murdr
Strike 2! HiTech doesnt like to be called Shirley
:rofl

LOL!

Roger
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline eh

• Copper Member
curious - rear mirrors
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2007, 12:48:28 AM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore
Lock On: Modern Air Combat has working mirrors, as does the lousy IL-2 series.

Well, dang! If AW could do it in 3D circa 2000, and Modern Air Combat and IL-2 can do it now (and who is to say that IL-2's graphics are simple?), why can't we!

If we can have the trees on the deck without the frame rate hit, I STILL don't understand why we cannot get a mirror six view. After all, if I can jump from pilot view in a B17 to a tail gunner's view and see everything with no FR hit, why is a mirror six view so danged difficult??????? Are the programmers in AW and other more modern flight sims such geniuses?

Offline stantond

• Nickel Member
curious - rear mirrors
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2007, 07:05:06 AM »
Air Warrior (AW) did not have working mirrors.  I still have the box program.  It did have the option to remove visible cockpit skins, which I am sure most would call a 'cheat'.

I have brought up the rear view mirror topic up before, and been rebuked accordingly.  It's not going to happen in AH.  While WW2 fighter aircraft did have rear view mirrors, the decision on how to model them (and whether they should be modeled) has been made.  I suppose this is putting words in HT's mouth, but after seeing this topic many times it's pretty obvious.

There are many ways and levels of detail associated with modeling mirrors.  However, even the simplest would be alot of work.  Since the current rear view 'works', adding another view or additional processing to an existing view would not add more information.

Regards,

Malta
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 07:11:16 AM by stantond »

Offline republic

• Silver Member
curious - rear mirrors
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2007, 08:06:10 AM »
Since developer time is finite, I'd much rather see that time devoted to bringing us new aircraft/units, than the mirror...if it is indeed so difficult.  It really would be nice to have a new gv, plane or derivative of a current unit every quarter or...even every 6 months.
P-47 pilot

Offline eh

• Copper Member
curious - rear mirrors
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2007, 12:07:15 PM »
Maybe i am wrong? Was the standard six view in AW set up so that you were looking backwards down the spine of the fuselage? Was it a mirror image? or was it as if you could poke your head over the seat and swivel your head like Linda Blair? If it's the Linda Blair view, that shouldn't be so hard to program, should it?

Malta, you're right on the futility of the suggestion about mirrors though. I have had the same arguments from the pilots over in Warbirds. To them, our system of adjusting and saving head positions is a travesty of ... cod only knows what... some warped view of what realism is. With their 6 view, you will never see what is behind you in an F6 or F4U for example.

So I guess the AH view isn't so bad, by contrast.  Nevertheless, the best Flight Sim in the business should strive for perfection, not just being the best, eh?

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
curious - rear mirrors
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2007, 12:53:45 PM »
Originally posted by Bronk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frustum

hehe still no help .

Bronk

A better description.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/directx9_c/Viewports_and_Clipping.asp

Also I do not believe AW ever had a mirror, it had a mirror view on some planes.

Republic: I never said it was very difficult to make a mirror. Reread my quote, I said it would have a sever FPS impact. It really is equivalently to drawing the entire world twice per frame.

HiTech

Offline Skyfoxx

• Silver Member
curious - rear mirrors
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2007, 01:12:47 PM »
Make the mirror with a toggle on and off like they do in Il2. Sure you will get a performance hit if you fly around with it on all the time, but just a quick look isn't going to hurt performance so much. Thats the key, just a quick look then toggle it back off.

If you are going to go to the trouble to make nice historically correct cockpits like the new F4Us have, then it makes no sense imho to leave out a mirror where there indeed was one in RL.

"Consider your own fortunes gentlemen the deepest circle of hell is reserved for traitors and mutineers."

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
curious - rear mirrors
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2007, 01:36:27 PM »
Originally posted by Skyfoxx
Make the mirror with a toggle on and off like they do in Il2. Sure you will get a performance hit if you fly around with it on all the time, but just a quick look isn't going to hurt performance so much. Thats the key, just a quick look then toggle it back off.

If you are going to go to the trouble to make nice historically correct cockpits like the new F4Us have, then it makes no sense imho to leave out a mirror where there indeed was one in RL.

"but why have it coded in if you need to use the view hat to access it? You could just as easily use the same hat switch to simply look behind you."

Offline Skyfoxx

• Silver Member
curious - rear mirrors
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2007, 02:07:25 PM »
I never said anything about a hat switch. You could assign it to any key.
Its not perfect, but an option.

"Consider your own fortunes gentlemen the deepest circle of hell is reserved for traitors and mutineers."