Author Topic: Fun in aceshigh doesnt get any better than this  (Read 2282 times)

Offline wooley

• Copper Member
Fun in aceshigh doesnt get any better than this
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2007, 04:35:11 PM »
I got a D800 kill last night during the same fight - speculative shot to try and scare an LA7 off a squady's tail. I only fired the lightest of bursts - maybe 10 rounds - next thing I know the LA is missing one wing and I get a salute from said squady.

Admittedly this was using a spit 9 with the 20mm rays of doom.

Out of interest, The RAF's Area Frighting Tactics used at during the Battle of France and early in the Battle of Britain (before they realised they were c@rp) dictated that the convergence on Hurri and Spit 1's be set to 800 yards. This was the recommended distance for engaging enemy bombers.

The pilots soon found out that all you were likely to do from 800 yards was let the other guy know you were there.

Nice shot by the way B@tfink - if you'd pulled it off a few seconds earlier I wouldn't have been swimming :-)

And Dallas' reaction was class!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 04:45:53 PM by wooley »

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2007, 04:51:07 PM »
Originally posted by storch
it also helps that the BS modelling on all things allied in this game works in his favor.

And that of the Me-109 works in yours.  It's only a hot turn fighter in simulators!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2007, 05:04:00 PM »
I'm certain you can't see any object one kilometer away.  

You're saying pilots can't see another aircraft at ~1000 yards?

Just how certain are you? Willing to bet the ranch on it?

1 kilometer = 1 093.6133 yards
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Re: Fun in aceshigh doesnt get any better than this
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2007, 05:16:17 PM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV

1000yrds killshot, and makin a well known big mouth mad in the same few seconds......lol....my dream day come true

I call BULLPUCKY!!! The shot was 985 yards. :D
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2007, 05:31:52 PM »
983 to be presise :p

sorry i couldnt be quicker wooley!
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2007, 06:04:29 PM »
 it also helps that the BS modelling on all things allied in this game works in his favor.

haven't heard that whine for a long time.

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2007, 06:51:22 PM »
WTG Bat,

That mouthy lil pm'ing goober needs killing every chance you get.
It's funny how every time someone kills him he pm's a "lucky shot" or "fly a real plane newby" message.

He's a miserable low esteemed little wretch.:aok :rofl
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2007, 06:55:19 PM »

ahhh ... yessss ... the LW conspiracy theory rears it ugly head after being buried for many months ... the galaxy is now whole again and will not implode.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2007, 07:14:09 PM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
counted no less than 27 hitsprites all around the cockpit, wingroots and tail section. that is no spray and pray.

I'm a 50 cal guy, seeing that I almost exclusively fly the FM2, but I find it incredible that you could land that many hits at that distance with a guns convergence set at 375 yards.

Not debating that it didn't happen or couldn't happen with 50 cals, cause they WILL  reach out and "touch ya" ... I just find it strange under those conditions.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Angry Samoan

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2007, 07:15:56 PM »
:eek: :O

Very nice Bat :aok

Let this be a lesson to the Pickers that run:aok

storch

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2007, 08:12:29 PM »
Originally posted by john9001
haven't heard that whine for a long time.
those that forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

Offline 0verlag

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2007, 08:14:27 PM »
killed a 262 from 1.2 with a 20mm shell..... and a german 20mm too...... i pissed my pants cos i was aiming like 2k above the target LOL.....

it is possible... you just gotta know when to "waste" ya ammo on long shots... gettin them to turn or gettin the lucky 20mm shot in a 9000rpm turbine blowing the wing off.......lol

Offline rauchen

• Zinc Member
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2007, 12:08:38 AM »
I wouldn't have believed it except I just did the same last night with an FM-2.  A Dora was running and I thought a few rounds over the canopy would spook him off the tail of the teamate I was trying to help.

I saw a few hit sprites & then I noticed him doing the no horizontal tail death loop.  I got the kill, too.  Maybe he was a little hurt already? I didn't hit him hard.

As for the range of a 50 cal - I read a book about Carlos Hathcock in Vietnam who used a 50 cal MG with scope & fired one round at a time.  He got a kill at 2500 yards.  The VC officer happened to cross the point Carlos had sighted in on earlier. Bad luck. Don't know if this story is true or not, but I do know the 50 cal is dangerous at least up to and farther than 1000 yds.

Regarding what you can see & how far - Many novice pilots emptied their guns at long range in their first encounter with the NME.  I read about a Wildcat pilot that emptied his guns on a Val, realizing he was over 1500 yards away and how furious he was that he had to watch it fly off. He'd gotten so excited he didn't pay attention to the range.  He never made the same mistake twice.

And finally, why is a guy in a 190 that runs away when he loses the advantage a Dweeb?  Why should he turnfight especially when outnumbered?  Besides, every time I see a 47N I run like heck cuz I figure it's Yucca  ;)

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2007, 12:30:20 AM »
1,000 yard .50 cal. shot is well within the realm of believability I have made this argument before in my first few weeks of AH. I sprayed the heck out of a cockpit once, several rounds right in the top of the pilots head as he pulled up easy & did nothing & that was only slightly off my convergence which was something like 475 iirc. A couple hundred rounds in the head & nothing.

But it is a game.

As I brought out then, the MIG pilots took more than one dirt nap from .50's at much greater ranges than they typically got kills in WWII & a whole butt load of people tried to say it was better sights. If anything had a major bearing on the trajectory it was, the higher you are, the thinner the air, the farther the bullets will travel....is that modeled in here anywhere? Does anyone know if altitude & thin air increases range of rounds fired in AHII?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2007, 01:47:47 AM »
I turned a P-51D into confetti at about 1000 yards with the Mossie's cannons once.  He was diving away from me and going nice and straight, so I just put the pip on him and held the trigger down as I pulled up slowly.

I used the same trick to nail a fleeing Fw190D-9 with the 30mm spud gun in the Bf109G-6 (this was prior to the Bf109s being redone) at about 700 yards, same result, dead runner.

In reality Beurling shot down a Bf109F at 800 yards using the Hispano cannons in his Spitfire Mk V, and he said it was a deliberate, aimed shot.

Don't say it "couldn't be done in reality" when it could be.

Also Storch, maybe you can't see anything at a distance of one kilometer, but the vast majority of humans can.  If we couldn't see things at that range, and much, much further, WWI and WWII air combat would have been essentially impossible.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-