Author Topic: Fun in aceshigh doesnt get any better than this  (Read 2283 times)

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Fun in aceshigh doesnt get any better than this
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2007, 02:45:43 PM »
TY Poof.

Not sure why I thought it was in feet.

Must be the fluoride in the water.

:noid :noid :noid

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2007, 03:19:37 PM »
You've got WAY too much time on your hands mate! :D

But no, firing beyond 300 isn't a waste of time or ammo if you use US 50 cal.

Do the same with a german weapon and you're screwed. As are you with most other weapons, part from Hizookas.

Was a very nice shot though, congruats!
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2007, 04:07:39 PM »
Originally posted by mussie
I have to wonder if you can see a fighter from 1K away...  

If you've ever flown for real, or even listened to ATC, they routinely point out traffic that is 3, 4 or even 5 miles away...  I know I've been a C172 and had another C172 pointed out by ATC at 3 miles (6076 yrds) and a bit higher and he was easier than hell to see, even his direction and attitude (and my vision sucks), and a 172 is smaller than a ww2 fighter.

I aint sayin you would be able to shoot em, just that they would be most definately visible, in fact, scary close at 1000 yds..
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 04:10:49 PM by kvuo75 »
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2007, 05:16:01 PM »
Originally posted by storch
I'm a fair shot but 1000 yds takes training to hit at, hell 500 yards is a long way too.  

Check last month's "American Rifleman."  Some of those .50 people can keep groups under 7 inches at 1000 yards.  I find that almost unbelievable.

- oldman

storch

« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2007, 05:50:31 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
Check last month's "American Rifleman."  Some of those .50 people can keep groups under 7 inches at 1000 yards.  I find that almost unbelievable.

- oldman
yup but those are trained shooters utilizing a barrett or a mcmillan sniper rifle built to very close tolerances shooting match grade ammunition.  the M2 has been used in single shot semi auto mode for sniping since korea but again mounted on a tripod and equipped with a unertl scope.  not the same as a sloppily mounted and marginally bore sighted bank of aviation M2s.  I think tony williams had an interesting write up on this very topic.

anyways again not to detract from bat's excellent shot and kill, it's gamey but after all it is a game.

Offline thehares

• Zinc Member
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2007, 06:00:56 PM »
I shoot planes down at 1000yds all the time with 50 cals
Must say an M16 is good at that
;)

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2007, 06:33:42 PM »
ah but the m16 is a US weapon, so obviously it must be hugely overclocked and have laser trajectories... :noid
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline rauchen

• Zinc Member
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2007, 09:38:55 PM »
German cannon in the game aren't that bad!

I get kills at  d600 in the Dora ALL the time. D800 is a bit more rare, but if they aren't dodging I'll try it anyway.  I hate landing with lotsa cannon rounds remaining ;)

Offline BluKitty

• Nickel Member
      • http://
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2007, 12:55:50 AM »
Originally posted by storch
go out measure 1000 yards and try to shoot a deer sized target.  for me it was humbling experience.  I can hit a coke can at 100yds almost every time as well.  I can also kill rats at 100yds with ease.  I killed a swimming duck 100yds away with a single shot pellet gun on a dare.  I'm a fair shot but 1000 yds takes training to hit at, hell 500 yards is a long way too.  as I stated previously I won't shoot at game beyond 300yds, I feel it's beyond my ability to insure a good humane kill at those extreme distances.

You act like you know guns then defeat your own logic .. it's kind of funny....

It's a pixelated simulation and is pretty accurate for the avaliable technology that the consumer market can afford.  My dad taught my sister and me to shoot at 100+ yards with guns smaller than even AH's 303 rounds, let alone 50's.  Ya it is pixels and a compromise .. but I bet I could hit a 'bus' at 800 yards on a calm day IRL......with a single shot let alone 8x50's.  And if you think shooting in a plane is like jumping with a rifle .... you might want to try flying 'smooth'... and stop jerking your flightstick around.   Ya .. AH doesn't model 'tubulance'.... but many days, at a given place, there is none IRL.

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2007, 08:09:03 AM »
I regularly practice at 500 yards on human profile targets with my M-14 & I can keep a nice grouping in the head or chest save the stray "flyer" here or there. But Purpose built sniper rifles are not exactly what is being discussed here, it's like comparing apples to oranges. Both fruit, both sweet, both grow on trees but there are few other similarities.

1000 yard .50 cal wing mount A/C to A/C shots are not impossible, not very common irl WWII combat I'm sure we can all agree, but possible. Nose mounts would be even easier but probably not much more common because of the nature of the combat. If you die here, it's no big deal, if you died in real life combat it turns out, that was a very big deal. It's not as likely that anyone would have chased a target for as long or as far as we do in AHII in enemy territory etc. without frantic radio calls for "Get this freakin' guy off my oscar people!" being answered in force; where here in AHII we ignore the pleas of our comrades because it's all in fun & they can just pick out a new ride & up again. :aok

Edit: Nice post Bat, I like the explanation with pictures, it holds my attention better than text alone lol