Author Topic: Collisions  (Read 2447 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Collisions
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 04:07:34 PM »
Crockett, its like this.... at the same moment in time you see an La7 slamming into the front of your plane, the other guy....flying across the world from you.... sees your plane 200 out, fires and rolls out of the way.

You die! Getting a packet to cross the world to your computer is not instant so there will always be lag. The server doesn't compare what each computer sees and THEN decides the out come, YOUR computer decides what it has and sends the out come to the server computer.

If HTC would "allow both to get off scott free", then how many fights would we have with nothing but HOs!! Its bad enough as it is !!

The simple way to avoid a colision is to NOT GET CLOSE ENOUGH !! If you are going to try and get closer where you may have a colision, you have to take that into account and accept the consequences. Much like chasing a con into his ack, its your choice.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Collisions
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 04:21:11 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
crockett:

It is very simple, if you ran into him on your screen (more precisely, if your computer has detected that some part of your aircraft touched a piece of the aircraft you are displaying as him on your system) , you take damage. And see the message "You have collided"

If he ran into you on his screen he takes damage. And you see the message "XXXX has collided with you"

Now understand that you both see some what different things, or more precisely the same thing at different times, do to internet latency.

There is really no more understanding needed as to why things are written as they are.

HiTech

I know that I have gotten the message "XXXX has collided with you" and I got the damage while the other guy flew away.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
Collisions
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 04:27:28 PM »
Originally posted by Traveler
I know that I have gotten the message "XXXX has collided with you" and I got the damage while the other guy flew away.

He shot you before/as he collided with you.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Collisions
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 04:28:43 PM »
Originally posted by Traveler

One of many easy explanations: He did shoot you at close range. And the collision did only minor damage to him, maybe losing a flap or so.

Another one: Many people just see the "XXXX has collided with you" message and overlook the "You have collided" message (which is written in another colour btw)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
Collisions
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 04:38:35 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
I disagree.

If your Front End sees a collison (you hit him) then you pay the price. No reason for you or anyone get a free pass cause the other guy didn't hit you.

Slap...another view:

My front end sees a collision (he flys into my 6), I pay the price.  He didn't see it because on his end he pulled up.

I see why people see this as unfair given the above situation.

What would be the drawbacks to registering it as collision only if both FE's saw the collision?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Collisions
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 04:46:12 PM »
Because no two computers can be perfectly synchronized, it would have the net effect of disabling collisions altogether Donzo.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
Collisions
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2007, 06:23:05 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Because no two computers can be perfectly synchronized, it would have the net effect of disabling collisions altogether Donzo.

I see your point.

But if I get 2 messages (I collided, he collided), the other person also gets 2 messages.  Since the server knows to send 2 messages to both, why not apply damage when this condition is met only?  
How would that net to disabling collisions?

Offline The Fury

• Silver Member
Collisions
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2007, 07:16:48 PM »
i have played other flight sims online and if i ram another plane we both die why is it so different for AH2?

Im not that bothered about the collision model and i wasnt gna post this but cmon its gotta make ya think surely.
The Few
England    www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
The Few  (Tour 77)                                                                                            Currently Flying as Fury

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
Collisions
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2007, 08:30:07 PM »
Originally posted by The Fury
i have played other flight sims online and if i ram another plane we both die why is it so different for AH2?

Im not that bothered about the collision model and i wasnt gna post this but cmon its gotta make ya think surely.
You are stuck on your first assumption -- that AH is like other online games.  It is not.

The "server" in AH is little more than a data transfer point.  The game's "reality" is entirely on YOUR machine, not the server.  Therefore, what happens on YOUR machine affects your plane when it comes to deciding whether two objects occupy the same space (i.e. a collision occurs).  

Meanwhile, the opponent's computer is deciding whether his plane occupies the same space with another object or not.  Due to internet lag, his reality is not the same as yours.

There is no 'third reality" that decides what really happens.  Only yours and his.  Thus the possibility for differing outcomes exists.

This isn't BF1942 with 32 people essentially dialed in to one computer.  This is hundreds of computers playing hundreds of independent games sending data to one another.  Understand that and the collision model is no longer a big deal.  Avoid collisions in your reality, and you will not collide.  Let the other guy worry about what is going on in his.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
Collisions
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2007, 11:33:05 PM »
Originally posted by E25280
You are stuck on your first assumption -- that AH is like other online games.  It is not.

The "server" in AH is little more than a data transfer point.  The game's "reality" is entirely on YOUR machine, not the server.  Therefore, what happens on YOUR machine affects your plane when it comes to deciding whether two objects occupy the same space (i.e. a collision occurs).  

Meanwhile, the opponent's computer is deciding whether his plane occupies the same space with another object or not.  Due to internet lag, his reality is not the same as yours.

There is no 'third reality" that decides what really happens.  Only yours and his.  Thus the possibility for differing outcomes exists.

This isn't BF1942 with 32 people essentially dialed in to one computer.  This is hundreds of computers playing hundreds of independent games sending data to one another.  Understand that and the collision model is no longer a big deal.  Avoid collisions in your reality, and you will not collide.  Let the other guy worry about what is going on in his.

Well said E25280

This has got to be the first realistic and crystal clear explaination as to why collisions are delt with the way they are in AH that i have ever read.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Collisions
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2007, 12:53:49 AM »
I haven't been bothered about the collision system even though it seems I'm on the losing end more often than I'm on the winning end but here's my question:

In real life if 2 planes collide don't they BOTH suffer damage?

It seems to me both should suffer damage based upon the point of impact for each.  Letting one fly off scott free, even if it's me just doesn't seem right.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Collisions
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2007, 12:54:53 AM »
I think a lot of folks are absolutely stumped when it comes to figuring out how things like shots and collisions actually work. That is a good explanation of things in a simple form.

Granted, that won't stop the collision whines and threads, but at least he tried. ;)
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline zorstorer

• Silver Member
Collisions
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2007, 01:07:25 AM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
I haven't been bothered about the collision system even though it seems I'm on the losing end more often than I'm on the winning end but here's my question:

It seems to me both should suffer damage based upon the point of impact for each.  Letting one fly off scott free, even if it's me just doesn't seem right.

Lordy where is that dead horse picture?

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
Collisions
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2007, 01:18:56 AM »
Originally posted by -sudz-
oh god oh god oh god oh god[/COLOR]

Thanks for the sig material, sudz :aok
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Collisions
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2007, 03:31:34 AM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl

In real life there is no internet lag :)

the current system is the best IMO:

- it's your job to shot down enemy plane(s)
- it's also your job to avoid collision.