Author Topic: Collisions  (Read 2445 times)

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Collisions
« on: January 09, 2007, 02:05:30 PM »
What's the deal with collisions, how do they work?

This has happened to me a few times now, but mainly with Lgay's. I'll normally try to avoid a HO but sometimes yea just can't do it, or I might think I have the advantage so I'll go ahead with it.

Seems mostly with the Lgayers that they will intentionally ram you while doing a HO. Last night for example during a HO that I was too late to avoid the La rammed me and killed me, yet he flys off with no damage. Wasn't smoking and I didn't see anything fall off his plane.

Then also last night, I'm fighting a A6 and I already have him smoking so he was damaged. Ended up getting a little too close to him when he did a high roll and I came up at him from below with the guns blazing. I hit him again but for what ever reason it wasn't enough to kill the plane and being I was too close to him we collied.

I was in a Spit XVI with no damage until the collision, yet I get killed and he flys off smoking with the system saying he shot me down.

So what I'm trying to figure out, is there some sort or rhyme or reason to why collisions never seem to damage both planes. Because on the same note I've had guys hit me and I wouldn't of even known it other than the system said I had collied with so and so.

So whats the deal with it?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 02:07:41 PM by crockett »
"strafing"

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
Collisions
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 02:15:14 PM »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Collisions
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 02:21:41 PM »
[duck]
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Collisions
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 02:22:37 PM »
I already did that but didn't see anything specific.
"strafing"

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Collisions
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 02:23:52 PM »
Originally posted by WMLute
The search button is your friend

did you look at what is returned as a result of that search?  how is that a friend.  what is needed to answer a question about collisions is a place in the Aces High documentation that clearly explaines just what goes into the collision model.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Collisions
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 02:45:27 PM »
Originally posted by Traveler
did you look at what is returned as a result of that search?  how is that a friend.  what is needed to answer a question about collisions is a place in the Aces High documentation that clearly explaines just what goes into the collision model.

Yes I read about the whole.. this guys computer sees this and this one that. But that doesn't explain away HO collisions and so on. Besides that it shouldn't be my computer or his that decided if we collided, it should be the server, at least that's how any other game I've ever played works.

If one player sees a collision the other player should see it as well. After all, how can I take damage if he didn't run into me on his screen? Seems the fix should be if both players don't see the collision, then neither of them should. The sever should decided if both planes were in the same space at the same time not each persons computer.

I'm well aware of net lag and so on, I've been playing online games for years. That's why that kind of explanation makes no sense at all to me.
"strafing"

Offline -sudz-

• Nickel Member
Collisions
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 02:56:14 PM »
oh god oh god oh god oh god[/COLOR]

Which do you prefer - others blowing up when your box registers a collision, you blowing up without apparent cause when his box registers a collision, or both you blowing up several hundred yards away from each other because the server decided you collided?

Now - no one post on collisions ever again. Please!

Offline DREDger

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Collisions
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 02:57:05 PM »
I never understood the collision thing either, although from what I gather there has been endless discussion about it.  I just chalk it up to luck of the draw when you collide.

The other night I was sneaking up on a guy that was target fixated, and I accidentally collided with him.  He never saw me and I would say it was 100% my fault.  I took minor damage and he went down in pieces, giving me the kill.

Other times I've hit people (never intentionally) and end up going down while they take minimal damage.

I've never really had a problem with people 'intentionally' ramming me.  If they can ram you they can shoot you, so what's the point.  If you engage in an HO with someone you can expect either a mouth full of lead or a collision, either way you're likely back in tower shortly.

Probably not the best answer to your question, but that's my take on it.

Offline NCLawman

• Nickel Member
Collisions
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 03:01:21 PM »
NEHEE -  NEHEE  

Quick some beat that horse one more time.  It must not be dead yet.

:lol
Jeff / NCLawMan (in-game)

Those who contribute the least to society, expect the most from it.

Light travels faster than sound.  This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline zorstorer

• Silver Member
Collisions
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 03:12:14 PM »
Originally posted by NCLawman
NEHEE -  NEHEE  

Quick some beat that horse one more time.  It must not be dead yet.

:lol

Some folks just dont want to let it die ;)

(cue the dead, decayed horse picture)

:aok

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Collisions
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 03:13:09 PM »
crockett:

how can I take damage if he didn't run into me on his screen?

It is very simple, if you ran into him on your screen (more precisely, if your computer has detected that some part of your aircraft touched a piece of the aircraft you are displaying as him on your system) , you take damage. And see the message "You have collided"

If he ran into you on his screen he takes damage. And you see the message "XXXX has collided with you"

Now understand that you both see some what different things, or more precisely the same thing at different times, do to internet latency.

There is really no more understanding needed as to why things are written as they are.

HiTech

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
Collisions
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 03:21:02 PM »
I agree the collision model can be frustrating, I  have whined about it myself a time or two.

More importantly though, I don't see how else it could be done.  IMHO, the collision model is as good as it can be, considering internet latency. I think Hitech and friends did the best they could with the situation, a good job actually.

Imagine if we turned collisions off... you think there is a alot of HO'ing going on now... it would  increase dramatically, methinks.  

Steve

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Collisions
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 03:44:23 PM »
Originally posted by -sudz-
oh god oh god oh god oh god[/COLOR]

Which do you prefer - others blowing up when your box registers a collision, you blowing up without apparent cause when his box registers a collision, or both you blowing up several hundred yards away from each other because the server decided you collided?

Now - no one post on collisions ever again. Please!

No the correct method IMO would be if one of the two players registers a collision on their system. Then neither of them should be penalized. As it sits right now, one player is penalized while the other gets off scott free because maybe he was lagger or vice versa.

So the only simple and fair way to do it, would be to allow both to get off scott free if one of the two doesn't register a collision.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 03:48:48 PM by crockett »
"strafing"

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Collisions
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 03:51:48 PM »
Originally posted by crockett
No the correct method IMO would be if one of the two players registers a collision on their system. Then neither of them should be penalized. As it sits right now, one player is penalized while the other gets off scott free because maybe he was lagger or vice versa.

So the only simple and fair way to do it, would be to allow both to get off scott free if one of the two doesn't register a collision.

I disagree.

If your Front End sees a collison (you hit him) then you pay the price. No reason for you or anyone get a free pass cause the other guy didn't hit you.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
Collisions
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 03:52:53 PM »
Originally posted by crockett

Life isn't fair. Ask either one of these guys.

[/IMG]

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$