Author Topic: Poll: Complex Engine Management  (Read 4357 times)

Offline Old Sport

• Nickel Member
Poll: Complex Engine Management
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2007, 09:00:14 PM »
As an option I think it would be great to incorporate more functions of engine management, and flight control. But I don't think it would fly as standard operating procedure for each plane. And to model each plane's engine management peculiarities would be, as Skuzzy hinted, a nightmare. Doubt if it's gonna happen.

Originally posted by FLS
Noob: How do I start this thing?

Helpful Vet:What are you in?

Noob: Spit.

Helpful Vet: Set the fuel valve on. Ignition switch off. Open the throttle just a bit. Set propeller control full forward. Set idle cutoff full back. Set supercharger switch to auto. Set carburetor air intake closed. Switch on main tanks booster pump for 30 seconds then switch off and set idle cutoff forward to Run position. Switch ignition on and push starter and booster coil buttons, thats ctrl-alt-S and ctrl-alt-B, at the same time.

Oh, and by the way, after takeoff you must pump the carriage retract handle 16 (?) times.

Offline outbreak

• Nickel Member
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2007, 09:06:09 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
From a player perspective:  No.  I have a hard enough time getting the plane down the runway as it is (cue Furball).

From a support perspective:  OMG!!! ARE YOU INSANE!!!!!!

Well put Skuzzy :D :aok

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2007, 10:45:26 PM »
Originally posted by Gumbeau

I'm not really sure why people believe they would enjoy this other than some sort of ego thing.

They must believe they would be so much better at it it would give them an advantage.

Not necessarily... the reason I want it is because it would just be fun to do a REAL startup. I find things like that FUN. I ENJOY complex, realistic processes.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2007, 10:52:47 PM »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
During durability testing of the C series R-2800 by Republic, it was decided to find out at what manifold pressure and carburetor temperature caused detonation. The technicians at Republic ran the engine at extreme boost pressures that produced 3,600 hp! But wait, it gets even more amazing. They ran it at 3,600 hp for 250 hours, without any failure! This was with common 100 octane avgas. No special fuels were used. Granted, the engines were largely used up, but survived without a single component failure.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wasnt 100 octane fuel used ONLY by the Americans?

Also, those RPMs are easy to maintain WITHOUT a load, as was stated above. The engine has to work harder to maintian those RPMs when you have a MASSIVE propeller on the front. I dont know any pilot what so ever who doesnt cut RPMs at least slightly, even those who tow ENTIRE GLIDERS cut it back And immidiatly get as much cold air over the engine as possible when they release to cool things down.

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2007, 11:01:32 PM »

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2007, 07:07:33 AM »
Originally posted by Old Sport
Oh, and by the way, after takeoff you must pump the carriage retract handle 16 (?) times.

Yes, but the real fun part would be using the emergency extension system after a hydraulics failure.  I'd love to spend five minutes pecking away at a key trying to lower the landing gear.  Of course, everyone else would just belly it.

In the pathetic IL-2 series, manual undercarriage retraction for the F-4F was modelled, but incorrectly.  You had to repeatedly tap a key to simulate the hand crank, and it took roughly the proper time to raise the gear.  However, you only had to tap the key for half of that time.  After that, the gear would continue to rise.  So what I would do was keep tapping to key until the gear was fully up, since in the real thing the pilot had to keep cranking.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 07:09:52 AM by Benny Moore »

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2007, 11:15:27 AM »
F4f had a hand crank to drop gear, but some pilots just rolled plane and used centrifugal force to do same ( I'm guessing that went against the manual)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Apar

• Silver Member
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2007, 01:05:59 PM »
Yes

Offline CHECKERS

• Silver Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/1502/index.html
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2007, 02:33:49 PM »
NO!
Originally posted by Panman
God the BK's are some some ugly mo-fo's. Please no more pictures, I'm going blind Bet your mothers don't even love ya cause u'all sooooooooo F******* ulgy.

Offline opiewon

• Zinc Member
« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2007, 03:03:10 PM »
b-17

check fuel transfer switch to make sure in off position or waste fuel.
check intercoolers are in the cold position.
make sure fuel shut off switches are all open.
cowl flaps must be in the open position.
Make sure turbos are off during engine start.
fuel mix should be in the AUTO-RICH position.
move throttles to the 1000 rpm setting.
propeller controls in high RPM.
Master switch ON!
Check parking break is on.
Ensure 4 fuel booster pumps are in the on position.

Engine 1!

turn ignition switch on.depress starter switch 10 seconds.
now depress mesh switch for about 6 seconds judge by ear when engine has started correctly.
turn the starter and mesh switch to there nuetral spots.

now guess what 3 more engines

and thats the dumbed down way.

Offline Flint

• Copper Member
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2007, 03:15:53 PM »
Yes - I have far too many buttons on my stick as it is! 3 modes available and I only use one for dogfighting. The 2nd one is coms and intel so there's a whole 3rd mode free as far as I can see.

To futher the realism aspect of this superb game, which surely can be the pure intent of the OP, I suggest he adopt like many true AH's, a simpit, trackir, stereoscopic goggles, that chair that's like a g simulator, as well as "shoot.exe" for vox comms (radio only).

Then again maybe not.

I appreciate the sentiment of the post, which I read as something to do on the way to combat, but during - no way. And I don't reckon THEY didn't either. If you're bored on the fly-in then make some friends on the country channel - or even better, some enemies on 200.

Offline Wizer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2007, 03:27:22 PM »
No

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2007, 04:14:51 PM »
Originally posted by Serenity
During durability testing of the C series R-2800 by Republic, it was decided to find out at what manifold pressure and carburetor temperature caused detonation. The technicians at Republic ran the engine at extreme boost pressures that produced 3,600 hp! But wait, it gets even more amazing. They ran it at 3,600 hp for 250 hours, without any failure! This was with common 100 octane avgas. No special fuels were used. Granted, the engines were largely used up, but survived without a single component failure.

Wasnt 100 octane fuel used ONLY by the Americans?

Also, those RPMs are easy to maintain WITHOUT a load, as was stated above. The engine has to work harder to maintian those RPMs when you have a MASSIVE propeller on the front. I dont know any pilot what so ever who doesnt cut RPMs at least slightly, even those who tow ENTIRE GLIDERS cut it back And immidiatly get as much cold air over the engine as possible when they release to cool things down.

That series of tests performed by Republic (overseen by P&W) used a "club prop" which is designed to load the engine without generating the thrust and prop wash associated with a normal propeller installation. Aircraft engines are never run at max power without a load.

The fuel used was standard grade AN-F-28 100/130 avgas. All Allied fighter aircraft were using at least 100 octane fuel in combat zones by 1941. By mid 1944, the 8th AF was using 150 octane fuel in their fighters.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2007, 04:18:25 PM »
Originally posted by CHECKERS
He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches.......George Bernard Shaw

He who cannot teach, teaches gym........ Corollary by Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2007, 04:28:21 PM »
I thought that was Jack Black :)