Author Topic: sounds  (Read 841 times)

Offline newguy

• Nickel Member
sounds
« on: July 05, 2001, 09:00:00 AM »
Ok, I have a strange problem here. Ever since I DL the new MA terrain, my sound has been kicking out on me. When I first boot up, all sounds seem to eork, then after a few minutes I lose my damage and gun sounds. When I have to replane, I lose engine sounds, and my gunsight turns into a large whit block. My video card is a voodoo3 2000, and I have a ESS 1869 (i think thats the number) sound card. I have never had a problems running AH, untill this last DL. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

newguy

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
sounds
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2001, 02:44:00 AM »
Newguy, I KNOW exactly what your problem is.  Guaranteed!!!

You have a virus on your system called w32.hybris.gen.  Get virus definition updates for your virus scanner and you can fix it.

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
sounds
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2001, 02:54:00 AM »
BTW: I just scanned the terrain file and then the executable to install it.  They are virus free.

This virus (as far as I know) is 100% spread by e-mail attachments.  The usual subject line is "snow white and the 7 dwarfs", but there are about 10 others.

Offline newguy

• Nickel Member
sounds
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2001, 10:09:00 AM »
Thnx Bloom, I'll check it out tonight. I hope this works cause this game is real frustrating with no sounds  :)

Offline newguy

• Nickel Member
sounds
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2001, 10:10:00 AM »
double post

[ 07-06-2001: Message edited by: newguy ]

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
sounds
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2001, 06:23:00 PM »
No need to check it out.  The symptoms you described are like a perfect DNA match to the problem.  You do need to take this seriously though, every email you send is spreading this virus.

If you don't have the virus I described, I will fly c202 for a week.  :D

Offline newguy

• Nickel Member
sounds
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2001, 11:52:00 PM »
Ok bloom, you were correct, I do have that exact virus, so you can rest easy about the 202  :D  My problem is that after I erased it (and I had to erase it a number of times), the game still didnt work. In fact I started losing mapped buttons on my stick, and keyboard. I reinstalled the game, but I still couldnt play. I am very unfamiliar with viruses, this is the first time I have really had anything that has affected a program, so any advice you could give me would be appreciated. I used Macafee to find and delete the virus. I am running Win95se.  Also, no other program seems to be affected. Hope you can help me get back up in the virtual sky  :)

newguy

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
sounds
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2001, 01:32:00 AM »
Are you sure the virus is gone?  If it is, the only thing I can think to do is to uninstall AH, but in addition you are going to have to remove the settings directory.  (I would back up your sounds directory though.)

Now install AH again.  The uninstall for AH does not remove the settings directory.  This particular virus causes many problems with AH.  When removing this one from my parents computer back in December I found temporary AH files in my Windows folder!  The actual virus files themselves were all random characters and random extensions and were saved in the windows folder as well.

I'm not exactly sure why this virus affects AH the way it does, so I can't really tell you exactly how to fix it.

Does your gunsight still turn white?  If it does, you still have the virus.  After trying the uninstall/reinstall as I described above if it still doesn't work, let me know.

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
sounds
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2001, 01:47:00 AM »
Ok, you might want to look at this:
 http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=98873&

And particularly trying this:
_____________________________ ________________
Windows 98/2000
- Click the START MENU|RUN, type SFC and click OK.
- Choose Extract one file from the installation disk
- Type C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WSOCK32.DLL in the box and click Start.
- In the Restore from box type C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS or browse to the Win98 directory on your Windows98 CD-ROM
- Click OK and follow remaining prompts

Wsock32.dll file exists within the Precopy1.cab cabinet file on the Windows 98 CD-ROM.
_____________________________ ________________

This should restore this file for sure.  Make sure you are not reinfecting yourself by continuing to try and open the e-mail attachment that gave you this virus to begin with.

Offline newguy

• Nickel Member
sounds
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2001, 02:37:00 PM »
Holy chit, this is one annoying little bugger. I found the virus on my C drive and I cant seem to remove it. I get a message that says:
unable to delete file      W32/Hybris.dll@MM. This file is either in use or it resides ona write protected media

I seem to have cleaned off my D drive, which is where I have AH, but I cant get it off C. It gave directions on how to remove the bug off Win95 in your link so I'll try those and see what happens. Hope I dont kill the comp  :)

Offline newguy

• Nickel Member
sounds
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2001, 02:56:00 PM »
well, I still cant get it off. It seems that the directions are for restoring the WSOCK32.DLL once you have deleated the infected one. The problem for me is, that I cant seem to delete it, with Mcafee anyway. Right now I am ready to toss this sucker out the window  :) I was going to be putting Windows 2000 on my comp shortly, would this virus be gone if I wiped out my hard drive and then put the new OS in?

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
sounds
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2001, 04:31:00 PM »
Give me your e-mail address.  (Please don't put me in your address book though, I don't need copies of this virus.  ;) )

I *may* be able to help you some more...  :D

Offline newguy

• Nickel Member
sounds
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2001, 05:44:00 PM »
I'll give you my hotmail. I think the virus is on my outlook express address.   eddy_the_finger@hotmail.com

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
sounds
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2001, 08:39:00 PM »
Before I do what I was going to do, try this for me:  Use windows explorer to navigate to the windows/system folder.  Find wsock32.dll and click it once and pick properties.  Make sure that "read-only" is not selected.

Offline newguy

• Nickel Member
sounds
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2001, 10:38:00 PM »
I have winzip, and yes. Thanks for all your help. I have win95