Author Topic: Anybody Using Vista?  (Read 9484 times)

Offline Irwink!

• Nickel Member
      • http://msn.com
Anybody Using Vista?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 07:06:49 PM »
I've been badmouthing Vista as it exists now too. But I always have to remember when XP was rolling out. Same kinda gloom and doom talk. "I'll hold on to '98 for as long as I can and then switch to xyz only when I'm forced to", or "its the worst OS ever", etc.,etc., etc. Few people have to switch right now and for everyone else why switch right now? Just like XP, let the smoke clear.

I recently installed XP on what was a brand new box only eight years ago. It hardly even runs. It came with 98 installed. Eight years from now we'll probably be recalling those old outdated boxes we ran with XP on 'em. Im not trying to say that Vista is as big an improvement over XP as XP was over 98 - just that all the gloom and doom sounds real familiar five+ years after XP premiered.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Anybody Using Vista?
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 04:06:28 AM »
You're wrong. Vista takes DRM to a whole new level and it oppresses consumer rights. When XP came it was relatively open with tightening DRM schemes with every mediaplayer update.

Mediaplayer 10 and upwards prevented users from backing up their media licenses i.e. limiting play to a single computer / lose money and media if harddrive breaks. That was the first step, now Vista takes it to the next level.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Anybody Using Vista?
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 04:33:19 AM »
Originally posted by MrRiplEy[H]
You're wrong. Vista takes DRM to a whole new level and it oppresses consumer rights. When XP came it was relatively open with tightening DRM schemes with every mediaplayer update.

Mediaplayer 10 and upwards prevented users from backing up their media licenses i.e. limiting play to a single computer / lose money and media if harddrive breaks. That was the first step, now Vista takes it to the next level.

the later version of MP 9 has the same bs in it ... it will lock you out of music if its not licensed and alot of other abtrusive stuff ... I have the earlier version of MP 9 befor that bs was added ...i'll host it up if anyone wants it .

My XP pc freaks out with music ive coped to it from cd to play in the late version of mp9 ...talk about stupid .

As for Vista .... I still havent gotten the right drivers in the 64 bit ver. to make anything work correctly in the game world ... the 32 bit ver. works but darn its slow ... even worse with a second harddrive connected .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Anybody Using Vista?
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 05:57:38 AM »
Originally posted by Irwink!
I've been badmouthing Vista as it exists now too. But I always have to remember when XP was rolling out. Same kinda gloom and doom talk. "I'll hold on to '98 for as long as I can and then switch to xyz only when I'm forced to", or "its the worst OS ever", etc.,etc., etc. Few people have to switch right now and for everyone else why switch right now? Just like XP, let the smoke clear.
Because this is not doom and gloom talk.  It is real and well documented.  Vista is a bloated pig.  That is real as well.  

On top of it all, Vista does absolutely nothing for the consumer except take more control of your computer away from you.  That is a fact.

You have no idea how many things you will not be able to do with Vista. that you can do with XP.  That's called a giant step backwards.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Irwink!

• Nickel Member
      • http://msn.com
Anybody Using Vista?
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2007, 07:17:22 AM »
Originally posted by MrRiplEy[H]

Wrong about what? That all the gloom and doom sounds familiar? It all sounds very familiar to me. Did I tell you that Vista was cool? Did I tell you it was better? Did I get into the internals of Vista and tell you that any part of it was better or worse? I advised to let the smoke clear. After the smoke clears you may go out and buy a Mac, you may run XP for the next 20 years, 5 years from now you might be running an OS that Google produced. Who knows? Get a grip. I'm pretty sure the sky is NOT falling.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Anybody Using Vista?
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »
No, because it's not gloom and doom talk. That's where you're wrong. It can't be compared to the times XP was introduced.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline jodgi

• Nickel Member
      • http://forum.mercair.net
Anybody Using Vista?
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2007, 02:03:54 PM »
Irwink, would you bend over and take anything just because you know the sun will rise tomorrow?

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
Anybody Using Vista?
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2007, 02:55:25 PM »
I see what Iriwink is trying to say & he is right about the fact that all the "ooh XP is the devil" talk was abundant. I knew people that said they wouldn't switch to XP & were still running 98-SE the last time I talked to them.

BUT (notice the big but); I completely agree with what Skuzzy & Ripley are saying about Vista, everything I have read from testers echoes what they are saying, or vice versa.

It's a bloated resource hog that is going to try to limit what you do with your PC whether you like it or not. Even Microsoft doesn't deny that all the bells & whistles aren't going to do anything but make it look more appealing to the eye & it will devour two gigs of ram doing it; that means a minimum of four gigs to do anything other than look at your desktop & surf.

Then you have all that ani-piracy crap; I have yet to see anyone address what Vista is going to do when you introduce self created content. How is it going to deal with video or music you made & put on it? It won't be digitally signed & have the stamp of approval from uncle Bill & the recording industry if it's original content. I'm not saying it will have a problem, but I can see where it might & haven't heard that area addressed at all by anyone. (It may have been & I just haven't seen it yet)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Anybody Using Vista?
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2007, 06:44:26 PM »
Originally posted by jodgi
MrRipley is right. Those "features" are lunacy.

For those who aren't afraid to read a bit; this is VERY interesting:

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

I usually look forward to new things, even MS ones, this time I hope they die a horrible corporate death... (we won't be that lucky though)

Has anybody else read this? The guy's obviously biased in his choice of words, or perhaps "frustrated at the BS logic MS uses" would be a better way of putting it, but the info he presents is fairly good, despite his interjections here and there.

Basically Vista cripples your video and sound output. I don't mean JUST by eating up cycles to encrypt its own PCI bus in real time but literally making high-quality sounds fuzzy, and downgrading high-quality video or (in cases) displaying nothing at all. All on purpose, mind you.

He makes a comment in there, about how at one time intermittent sound fuzziness fading in and out depending on what you were playing was once a sign to take your hardware back to the store for a refund or exchange, but now it means the drivers are working properly.

I don't think most folks realize how FUBAR vista really is, on the inside.

P.S. long read

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
Anybody Using Vista?
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2007, 07:02:50 PM »
Originally posted by Coshy
I said the same thing about DOS 6.2 :lol

Could DOS 6.2 lock you out of your legit ripped music and movies like VISTA?

Regards,
Sun
Freedom implies risk. Less freedom implies more risk.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Anybody Using Vista?
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2007, 07:23:18 PM »
It's not just MS....

MS is designing the DRM system so that, if you want to get a liscense to produce content or hardware, you need 3 Hollywood movie studios to sign off on it, basically giving Hollywood movie corporations control of what CD-ROM, sound card, NIC, video card, or monitors are made for the next generation.

As we all know, Hollywood always sticks to the best of the best for all concerned, right?

Right?

(*crickets*)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Anybody Using Vista?
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2007, 09:57:38 PM »
Originally posted by Brenjen
Then you have all that ani-piracy crap; I have yet to see anyone address what Vista is going to do when you introduce self created content. How is it going to deal with video or music you made & put on it? It won't be digitally signed & have the stamp of approval from uncle Bill & the recording industry if it's original content. I'm not saying it will have a problem, but I can see where it might & haven't heard that area addressed at all by anyone. (It may have been & I just haven't seen it yet)
Don't bother buying an HD camcorder if you plan on using Vista.  You will only be able to edit the content in SD (standard defiantion) mode.

A lot of this stuff in Vista will not rear its ugly head until you try to do anything HD related.  Then it will hit you up side the head like a baseball bat.

And at that particulat point in time, you will be beating your head against the wall for tossing out XP.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
Anybody Using Vista?
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2007, 09:05:26 AM »
My wife & daughters are all about photography, video & music. From everything I've read, I'll be hanging onto XP until they pry it from my cold dead hands.:aok

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Anybody Using Vista?
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2007, 11:10:01 AM »
But Brenjen, think of all the excuses you just gave up on to buy new hardware so you could run the same programs 10 to 15 percent slower than before!!!!

And think of how funny it would be if you Wife could not do her editing and making of movies.  Wouldn't that just be too funny?

:D
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Anybody Using Vista?
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2007, 11:34:58 AM »
<--- Pictures Skuzzy buying and hording thousands of OEM boxes of XP for future Black Market get rich scheme :lol