Author Topic: Winning TT Map  (Read 4547 times)

Offline DREDger

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Winning TT Map
« on: January 22, 2007, 11:05:03 AM »
I think we are all familiar with the TT (Tank Town) island map, it's been on LW orange now for a month.

I've put a good deal of thought into this map and how it can be won by any one country.  I am convinced that like in chess, control of the center of the board is the route to victory.  Once you have that, you fight and push the enemy outwards.

To that end, this weekend I organized a number of missions to capture TT and with a good degree of sucess (rooks).  It was alot of fun running the missions and we had fairly good turnouts.

Of course, I was lambasted by numerous players on ch200, and even from my own countrymen for doing this.  For some reason people consider this bad form, like there is some 'unspoken rule' to leave the TT bases alone and fight captures on the periphery of the map.  

I can understand their point I suppose, many people just want to up for a quick battle at the shooting gallery, or a quick plane flight to drop a bomb or two then dogfight a little.  (People enjoy this game in different ways and I don't want to presume to tell them how)

The fun for me however, is organizing raids and making good captures to 'win the war and map'.  To that end, I will continue to try to win the center and I am sorry if that ruins fun for others.

So I have a proposal (which maybe should be under wishlist). Make the center island bases UNCAPTURABLE  .  I think this would make many people happy.

The way the map is currently configured though, these bases are capturable.  I have to assume the HTC made it this way for a reason.  Until this uncapturable suggestion is made, I will continue to fight this map in the way I've described.  (and so will my squad and whoever joins my missions)

Offline MotorOil1

• Copper Member
Winning TT Map
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 11:16:39 AM »
There are other maps setup where fun town can't be captured.  My vote is to leave Isle map as is.  

If you don't want your field taken over then defend it.  Makes for a good fight.  Besides DREDger, if the fields weren't capturable you wouldn't be making those cool raids against them.  And then what fun would that be!

I enjoy the organised raids as well.

:aok
MoterOil
-=Most Wanted=-
"These are detestable murderers and scumbags. They detest our freedoms, they detest our society, they detest our liberties." - General Hillier July 14, 2005, on Osama bin Laden and his ilk

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
Re: Winning TT Map
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 11:42:43 AM »
Originally posted by DREDger
Make the center island bases UNCAPTURABLE  .  I think this would make many people happy.

I think they should be capturable. There needs to be meaning beyond the brainless tank-quake and spawncamping.

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
Winning TT Map
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 11:46:03 AM »
forget the unwritten rules...the sheer stupidity of this many people keeping this map alive for as long as it has been is beyond comprehension.

die TT map.  die like the dog you are.

(i am all for taking ALL capturable bases)

:aok
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 12:33:08 PM »
I think we are all familiar with the TT (Tank Town) island map, it's been on LW orange now for a month.

I've put a good deal of thought into this map and how it can be won by any one country.  I am convinced that like in chess, control of the center of the board is the route to victory.  Once you have that, you fight and push the enemy outwards.

To that end, this weekend I organized a number of missions to capture TT and with a good degree of sucess (rooks).  It was alot of fun running the missions and we had fairly good turnouts.

Of course, I was lambasted by numerous players on ch200, and even from my own countrymen for doing this.  For some reason people consider this bad form, like there is some 'unspoken rule' to leave the TT bases alone and fight captures on the periphery of the map.  

I can understand their point I suppose, many people just want to up for a quick battle at the shooting gallery, or a quick plane flight to drop a bomb or two then dogfight a little.  (People enjoy this game in different ways and I don't want to presume to tell them how)

The fun for me however, is organizing raids and making good captures to 'win the war and map'.  To that end, I will continue to try to win the center and I am sorry if that ruins fun for others.

So I have a proposal (which maybe should be under wishlist). Make the center island bases UNCAPTURABLE  .  I think this would make many people happy.

The way the map is currently configured though, these bases are capturable.  I have to assume the HTC made it this way for a reason.  Until this uncapturable suggestion is made, I will continue to fight this map in the way I've described.  (and so will my squad and whoever joins my missions)

I don't buy it.

From what I saw you rooks took the island and stopped at that.  I did not see any push "outward" after the island was taken.

Why not just take the air bases on the island and leave the v-bases alone?  You could still push the fight outward as you say with no threat from the inside v-bases.

All and all I don't buy your justification for taking the entire island.  But if it makes you feel better...

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 12:38:59 PM »
Snip

Translation: Way too many of my fellow countrymen are burning up valuable resources in TT.  Since they wont aid us in our glorious map reset we will force them by taking the center Island.  You now have to play my way neener neener neener. :p

Bronk
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 12:47:41 PM by Bronk »
See Rule #4

Offline DaPup

• Copper Member
Winning TT Map
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 12:41:12 PM »
^^ lol

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
Winning TT Map
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 12:48:21 PM »
The IRONY of Spawn Campers thinking another play style based on teamwork and fair play lame.

I think TT doesn't get attacked/captured enough.  It opens up the map and creates some new and interesting fights in places other than the same old 'Race to the SE'.

Let them holler.  It is up far more than it is down, and if they REALLY want to preserve it, they CAN do something about it.
JG11

Vater

Offline DaPup

• Copper Member
Winning TT Map
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 12:52:25 PM »
^^ another lol for that one

edit: sorry I see you were being serious :rolleyes:

Offline DREDger

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Winning TT Map
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 12:53:17 PM »
From what I saw you rooks took the island and stopped at that. I did not see any push "outward" after the island was taken

I was trying Donzo, but was unsuccessful.  Can't win all the time or be everywhere at once.  Every try rallying enough players for a mission, it's like hearding freaking cats!  Plus Bish got angry and started fighting back like maddogs (took their bone away and they responded)

Translation: To many of my fellow countrymen are burning up valuable resources in TT. Since they wont aid us in our glorious map reset we will force them by taking the center Island. You now have to play my way neener neener neener

Bronk, you crack me up!  Just remember I could hardly do it alone.  Those bases are TUFF captures man.  And I know you enjoy TT play, so no hard feelings.

What do you think though, of my suggestion at making TT bases uncapturable?  Seems to me to solve the problem, or I guess I would have say, 'sorry charlie, thats how it is supposed to be played'
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 01:00:58 PM by DREDger »

Offline DREDger

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Winning TT Map
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 01:06:17 PM »
DreDger, your going to get complaints because it amounts to the same thing as dropping the FT hangers. I will say that I think it's lame but what you do ingame is your decision not mine.

A fair enuf response DaPup.  I enjoy TT every once in while when I only have a few minutes as well.  That's why I say make them uncapturable.

Frankly, I am so sick of the TT map I am playing to have it reset to something new.  Thats the only way I see it happening.  Fighting on the periphery just does't work, cuase the enemy always has the TT center to fight outwards from.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Winning TT Map
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 01:08:24 PM »
Dredger please forgive the lack of intent.
This is more of a poke in the ribs to try and get you to look on the side of the coin.
  And no hard feeling.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Winning TT Map
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 01:10:51 PM »

A fair enuf response DaPup.  I enjoy TT every once in while when I only have a few minutes as well.  That's why I say make them uncapturable.

Frankly, I am so sick of the TT map I am playing to have it reset to something new.  Thats the only way I see it happening.  Fighting on the periphery just does't work, cuase the enemy always has the TT center to fight outwards from.

There is another LWA .

:noid :noid :noid

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
Capturability....
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 01:11:59 PM »
I think ALL airfields and GV bases, and their Towns, should be uncapturable and undamagable. This preserves my personal albility to launch from any field, anywhere, in any Country, and not have to worry about anyone ruining my personal fun, and allows all of the GV, Furball and Bomber Folks to have unlimited fun without my interuption of their ultimate enjoyment.

N'est pas?

Patches
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline Auger

• Nickel Member
      • AKs Home Page
Winning TT Map
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 01:13:21 PM »
IMNSHO, TT can stay unmolested as long as the fight stays on the island.  I'm all for giving the furballers and quakers their own sandbox. But when missions start rolling out of there for other islands, it becomes just another base to shutdown or capture.