Author Topic: Vista Ultimate  (Read 4588 times)

Offline Catalyst

• Copper Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2007, 09:46:52 AM »
its does play AH, but you get a performance loss...but remember I did my test in full visual mode( AH and desktop set to Ultimate not Basic)...not recommended to play AH in full mode...

as for ripping DVD's, I've done it successfully, torrents etc etc all work...

VISTA is just not for hardcore gamers, damn even XP is not for hardcore gamers either....2000 "is" in my opinion, but others have diff. opinions...

sorry never liked XP never will...

and yes I agree with pretty much everything Skuzzy says, too a certain degree, I prefer testing myself...

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2007, 09:59:02 AM »
From HP website:         We are sorry to inform you that there will be no Windows Vista printer driver available for your HP product. Therefore your product will not work with Windows Vista.

If you are using the Windows Vista operating system on your computer, please consider upgrading to a newer HP product that is supported on Windows Vista.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2007, 10:19:31 AM »
I never used Windows 2000 but M.E. S-U-C-K-E-D! XP is problem free & has been for me since day one, seven years ago...home & pro.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2007, 10:55:03 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
so skuzzy... if I get a new vista machine will I be able to play AH on it or not?

AH is the only game I play...   I may or may not play something else too in the future but for now... I won't buy something that won't play AH.

lazs
It will be a crap shoot.  I already have run into a couple of players who cannot get Aces High II to run on thier Vista machines.  Both have NVidia graphics cards in them.

It looks like you will need about 4GB of RAM (if you have Aero enabled) to effectively run Aces High II near the levels of performance a 1GB XP system gets.  It will still be slower than XP, regardless.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2007, 02:16:27 PM »
so let me get this straight....

I can buy a new machine with the best hardware in it that is made and it will run everything slower than last years machine with xp on it and...

I may not even be able to run AH or my printers and such?

How does it do on hooking up CH controllers?

lazs

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
it's been Bill Gates plan to control everything from the very beginning..
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2007, 03:14:19 PM »
wasn't it the same for some hardware when windows jumped from Win98 to XP?

my father in law has a scanner that does not work under XP but works fine with 98...

it is all a plot by the industry to drive you to upgrade/replace your hardware

if it isn't bloated code, it'll be drivers ... one way or another, we will never reach the point that our computers are "finished".
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2007, 03:36:04 PM »
Skuzzy, you are spot-on on the assessment of Vista.  One of my customers'  industry specific software we run will REQUIRE Vista when the new version is released in December 07.

I Did the Beta tests for Vista.  I liked a lot of the desktop conveniences but there is no way that the few nice tools added should require the OS to be such a resource hog.

The company i am speaking of is notoriously cheap when it comes to spending money on hardware (Except for the magazine department - all macs there, of course)  I dont mind the trouble i see ahead because I already know it will mean more money for me ultimately for troubleshooting and ultimately hardware upgrades.

I have personally found that you should be running a dual-core processor with a MINIMUM of 2 GB of ram just for it to operate at a decent clip.

As a thought Skuzzy... as harsh as the hardware requirements will be for Vista to operate I wonder if we are going to get a new XP type OS as a stop-gap like MS did with WinME when W2K was released?  I am no fortune teller but with all of the celeron chips and other single core chips in use now, I can see MS actually needing to do this to help ease many of us into the next level.

I am just glad I only have a pool of 200 or so that call me for support... I dont envy you having a couple thousand. LOL
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2007, 03:51:35 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
so let me get this straight....

I can buy a new machine with the best hardware in it that is made and it will run everything slower than last years machine with xp on it and...
Yes.

I may not even be able to run AH or my printers and such?
True.

How does it do on hooking up CH controllers?
No clue.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2007, 03:53:21 PM »
I wonder, does MS Vista come with a jar of Vaseline? or do you have to buy that separately?

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2007, 03:54:54 PM »
Skuzzy, there appears to be NO support of any kind for "gameport" devices with Vista.
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2007, 04:08:09 PM »
Ah...yes....

Looks like VISTA will be the best thing to have happened to Mac and Open Source in years.

Think I'll take Skuzzy's lead though, and grab an extra copy of XP Pro while still available just in case.

Got 1 XP Pro laptop, 1 64-bit XP game system, and still have Win2K on the old server (sharing space with 7.2 SUSE and APACHE) ....  but I think It's time for me to go back to SUSE or one of the SELinux flavors, and try my hand at a Mac Server-grade system for the network.

Nothing I hear about VISTA is encouraging.

Offline Yknurd

• Silver Member
      • Satan Is Cool...Tell Your Friends
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2007, 05:30:25 PM »
But, but, but...Catalysts says he's having no problems.

And he's not even suffering any performance loss.

And AHII runs beautifully.

And Vista is the bestest, most goodest, uber-est OS out there.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2007, 06:48:24 PM »
Ok next question.

What is it about Vista thats "supposed" to make it so much more special and preferable then VP?

What IS MS touting it as thats "supposed" to make it great?
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2007, 07:02:26 PM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
Ok next question.

What is it about Vista thats "supposed" to make it so much more special and preferable then VP?

What IS MS touting it as thats "supposed" to make it great?

It's new....and shiny.... and the screen looks like a Mac....err...new and shiny.....

...and...it will make you and your data.....safer......so long as you have automatic updates running .... all..... the......time........  

... and you get to replace most of your peripherals..... isn't shopping fun?

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2007, 07:49:13 PM »
And because its new and will have years of problems to figure out, they can charge people out the wazoo for tech support for well into the forseeable future, whereas XP is getting rather stable in comparison.  They havent found a new security leak in X in months.