Author Topic: Vista Ultimate  (Read 4587 times)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2007, 07:41:41 PM »
OMG....I havent seen a Boardwatch magazine in years.

Oh those few years before the Internet and after....

Offline shooter1cac

• Zinc Member
      • http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/3707/sapplf6.jpg
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2007, 08:05:22 PM »
I didn't read this whole thread...I don't have to.
I'm pretty sure Bill Gates is the Anti-Christ.

One of the IT guys at work has Vista on his new system...now hardly anything works. Wonderful.
I think I'll stick with XP until something better comes along.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2007, 09:25:32 PM »
sounds like now might be the time to make the leap from Win98SE to XP :cool:
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Blank

• Nickel Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2007, 03:25:33 AM »
an article here with comparisons of games running under XP and vista which shows that for DirectX 9 gaming just as skuzzy said your gonna be getting less FPS in vista.

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6164940/index.html?sid=6164940

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2007, 05:55:44 AM »

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2007, 06:16:48 AM »
I bet Catalyst's REAL name is Bill, and he lives in a BIG estate near Seattle:lol
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Catalyst

• Copper Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2007, 07:45:13 AM »
this place hasn't changed at all, read my first post again and please tell me where I gloat about Vista....I said I had issues, they've been corrected, I didn't ask for comparisons, I know em already...still testing stuff out

max res. 55 FPS in XP to about 38 to 40 with Vista, I'm still testing some tweaks

stick to Linux you might go up in the world 20 years from now...wait that was supposed to happen already, open source and all, still, keep the faith, chu chu train 'MIGHT' come along...

The tech issues brought up by you folks have been known for awhile, for myself anyways, yet you bring em up like you just discovered them, fools assume...

I tested MY software Skuzz, some worked some didn't, I worked em all out in the end, If yours didn't, maybe you need to work it some more, or wait till they do(soft upgrade)...but your patience is limited by your frustration with MS products...

I never said you MUST upgrade to Vista...but you'll have no choice cause of your customers.

I've tested Vista on 4 different machines, installation mostly, no tweakin too much, but now I am tweakin and it ain't all that bad, again, yes performance loss but some other stuff compensate for it, like a much better Desktop etc etc.

will I go back to XP or 2000, hmmm not sure yet, still got some more checkin to do...

oh and btw, didn't need to BUY this Vista, was on the open Beta test...

well sorry for gloating if thats what perceived, not my intention...

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2007, 08:02:19 AM »
Originally posted by Catalyst
I tested MY software Skuzz, some worked some didn't, I worked em all out in the end, If yours didn't, maybe you need to work it some more, or wait till they do(soft upgrade)...but your patience is limited by your frustration with MS products...
I do not believe I am taking the quote out of context.  The software I own, which will not work with Vista, will never work with Vista.  It is not related to any bugs with the operating system.

It is related to design considerations MS made.  The reason ASIO and DirectSound are no longer supported in Vista has to do with DRM.  They could not figure out how to insure DRM would be applied to those API's.

ASIO was all done outside of MS, so they had no control over it (but they did find a way to kill it), and no one at MS understands DirectSound as the engineer who designed it left MS and MS has had zero success in replacing it or coming up with anything that remotely worked better.

So, none of the software I own for doing audio/video work will ever run on Vista unless MS redesigns the OS to allow support of ASIO and DirectSound again.

The problem HD video content is in the DRM of Vista.  If the entire chain of hardware in your computer (monitor, video card,...) does not have HDCP support, then Vista will decide you cannot watch HD content in HD resolution.
The upshot of that is, you can no longer edit or convert any content to HD.  You cannot copy HD content to another device.  These are all design choices.  They are not bugs.  They will not get fixed, as there is nothing to fix, as far as MS is concerned.

Anyone doing any serious audio or video editing will have to stay away from Vista if they want to continue doing that.

But the real reason to avoid it, for me.  It brings absolutely nothing to the table at all.  To me it is not an upgrade.  It is just something different.  XP is the swiss army knife, and Vista is the toothpick.  You can do just about anything you want in XP, but there are many things you cannot do in Vista.

I call that a downgrade.  A downgrade which forces you to buy more hardware to be able to run it at slightly slower speeds than a current XP system.  Sorry, but I do not see any benefit to the consumer here.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2007, 08:03:06 AM »
you can't mass market a product that needs tweaking, ordinary people want to turn it on and have it work out of the box.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2007, 08:16:25 AM »
Originally posted by soda72
Their coming to get you skuzzy...

:(

Pardon my input as I am in no way a tech expert on these matters

But I think thats pretty much how Skuzzy is going to feel as he is going to have to try to convince player after player after player as to why the game doesnt run as the player thinks it should.

I think he is forseeing many many "I have a brand new mega system with all the bells and whistles. what do you mean My machine cant run AH at XXX settings???"

and plenty of people blaming him, and the game for problems in the operating system.

As for me. It looks like Im gonna haveta build my new mega system within the next few months while I can still get a copy of XP Pro. ;)
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Mightytboy

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2007, 08:42:13 AM »
Originally posted by Catalyst

I've tested Vista on 4 different machines, installation mostly, no tweakin too much, but now I am tweakin and it ain't all that bad, again, yes performance loss but some other stuff compensate for it, like a much better Desktop etc etc.

You mention having to tweak it to make some software work AND having performance loss.

The problem is ALL software that worked with XP should work without having to tweak it. I didn't spend all that money on software so MS could come along and make a system that won't run it no matter how pretty the desktop is.

As far as the performance loss goes why would anyone buy it knowing it was going to be slower than XP?

I have over 3000 computers to take care of and there is no way in hell I would even consider putting this crap on any of them. No matter how pretty the desktop is.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2007, 08:45:20 AM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
As for me. It looks like Im gonna haveta build my new mega system within the next few months while I can still get a copy of XP Pro. ;)

Seems like you could just go buy XP in whatever version you choose and put it on the shelf until you are ready to build. According to Skuzzy you've got 7 years or so to load it while they still support it.

Now that Vista has debuted, we'll probably see XP's price start to drop too.

Heck, in 7 years they might even have XP running really well.  :)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2007, 09:05:27 AM »
Actually Toad, MS will continue to support XP Pro for 7 years from yesterday.  But, it will more than likely disappear from the shelves over the next 30 days, if not sooner.

It is why I bought 2 more copies of XP Pro last in December.  I figure that will last until XP is dead.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline republic

• Silver Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2007, 09:21:22 AM »
I had hoped my copy would be in today...looking like tomorrow.  I'm anxious to see what breaks and what continues to work.

I often archive my favorite dvd's and video games to my hard drive...anxious to see how that goes.  The software necessary to do those things are most likely suppost to be broken by Vista.

I do have faith in the anti-DRM community.  If I want to rip the dvd I bought, and compress it to a divx and watch it from any pc in my house networked...I should be able to.  By 'outlawing' that software because someone COULD use it for evil...is stupid.  Almost anything can be used for malcontent.  Should my car be taken away because someone COULD go on a rampage...or salt shakers...salt shakers COULD be used as containers of...nuclear material...ya...lets outlaw them too.  Oh, and pillows!  People can smother people with pillows, outlaw them!

DRM is so out of hand anymore.  Starforce for PC games...*shudders*

I also hate the idea that you have to have unique keys to even play in 1v1 multiplayer in most new games.  Lots of times I'll get a new game and want to play it vs my dad or something when I go to visit...but I have to have 2 keys...so frustrating.  They keys are easy enough to come by but still...

Bah...end rant.
P-47 pilot

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2007, 09:24:59 AM »
so skuzzy... if I get a new vista machine will I be able to play AH on it or not?

AH is the only game I play...   I may or may not play something else too in the future but for now... I won't buy something that won't play AH.

lazs