Author Topic: Vista Ultimate  (Read 4592 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2007, 09:08:53 AM »
Nilsen, as avatars are representative of the person they are attached to.  Would that mean you are bloated, slow, problematic, unreliable, and just generally irritating?  :D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 09:30:02 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #136 on: February 02, 2007, 09:21:20 AM »
You forgot buggy and has a lot of patches,  its a pirate thing ya know, AAARRrrrr

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #137 on: February 02, 2007, 09:41:38 AM »
Thanks for the answers..   as a computer illiterate I always greet new OS's with trepidation.  

When xp came out everyone was having some troubles here and there but someone somewhere always had a way to work around.

I don't think you are correct catalyst about only one or two people in the oclub playing ah...  probly closer to 25% or more.   Ah is very important to me to play and I have hundreds invested in CH controllers and I like the way they work.

USB.... Digital... windows... windows 98... XP  every one of these things was greeted with some trepidation by me but... so long as I could get my mail and get on the internet and play AH.. who cared?   In fact..  it got easier to set up my controllers and keep em running as the new things came out...

No more spikes no more pots... no more complex settings... I am running an AH now that wasn't even dreamed of (by me at least) 10 years ago with a lot better controllers.

This vista... it seems different tho...  it seems to want to make things worse not better..   Maybe it is focus... I can't believe that they don't realize how many people use computers for games but... maybe games on computers are not where we are going.. maybe security is the most important thing.

Maybe some x box thingie will be the AH machine of the near future and my vista computer will run my email and internet?   Who knows

For now... I will just stick with XP tho.

Should I buy a copy and keep it around for my next computer?   Will dell and the rest sell an XP computer in the near future?

When will it be impossible to buy a computer with XP on it new?

lazs

Offline republic

• Silver Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #138 on: February 02, 2007, 09:46:47 AM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Nilsen, as avatars are representative of the person they are attached to.  Would that mean you are bloated, slow, problematic, unreliable, and just generally irritating?  :D

roflol!  :rofl
P-47 pilot

Offline Catalyst

• Copper Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #139 on: February 02, 2007, 09:50:28 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
Thanks for the answers..   as a computer illiterate I always greet new OS's with trepidation.  

When will it be impossible to buy a computer with XP on it new?

lazs

thats actually a very smart move laz, read about it and let some time go by is just the smart way for peeps less involved in computers...

I had no choice...

I heard most new computers are coming out with the Vista package installed, as for XP, guess that will be up to the computer manufacturers, still lots of "just don't know"

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2007, 09:56:21 AM »

You have no idea how spot on that is :D

Offline Catalyst

• Copper Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #141 on: February 02, 2007, 10:00:27 AM »

Bloated = a little, but thats what happens when you add new stuff...but I tend to agree with Skuzz(little bit)

Slow = really haven't noticed that much, for me, it works just like my XP or close too it...so it all depends what ya gonna do(gaming, editing etc)

Problematic = thats to be expected with ANY new sofware, ya'll should know that...skip this nonsense

unreliable = well, up too now, since Nov'06, I just don't agree with that POV

irritating = as all new softwares are till you just get used too it, just like I felt XP was damn irritating...

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #142 on: February 02, 2007, 10:29:45 AM »
It was meant to be a bit of levity there Catalyst, but now that you have gone there.

There is $15,000.00 worth of software sitting on a shelf which will never run on Vista due to the changes MS has made.  I call that problematic and irritating of a company to intentionally kill some very high end software applications.

Unreliable means you really do not know what is going to work and what is not going to work until it is too late.  I already have customers who cannot play the game due to the various problems with Vista and the drivers.  Yes, those will eventually get solved, but it does make it unreliable right now.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #143 on: February 02, 2007, 10:41:01 AM »
Skuzzy or Catalyst...

if you buy a box and get force fed Vista is it going to block you from wiping the hard drive and reinstalling XP?
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #144 on: February 02, 2007, 10:44:37 AM »
Shouldn't Dichotomy.  You can always ask the OEM you are buying from.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #145 on: February 02, 2007, 11:07:10 AM »
Home Basic lacks a lot of the tools XP has, but is essentially a stripped down XP with all the DRM and .NET drivers attached.

Gah!!  :huh    What, is this supposed to pay homage to Windows ME and early versions of Lindows?   That's gotta be the worst of all worlds there!

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #146 on: February 02, 2007, 11:17:28 AM »
Skuzz, With the new computer I'll be getting, is a NVidia graphics card a good thing to have w/ the XP?

Nilsen, I'd change my avatar; But I have a 1 yr. commetment to the one I have.
Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #147 on: February 02, 2007, 11:37:02 AM »
I had your avatar for a few weeks but that was enough :) Did it to show my respect to 68KOs wife and kids but i never had that one year clause to it.

Back on topic.. Id very much like to try Vista Ultimate on a pc that could handle it, but i wont shell out any money on it as XP does what its supposed to do.

I just wish that MS could have made clean start and skipped things like registry and whatnot and sold it as an alternative OS and not something that was supposed to take over from XP... sorta like what apple did when they juped off OS9 to OSX and made everything from scratch.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #148 on: February 02, 2007, 12:04:31 PM »
Have not read the whole thread so this may already have been said.

If you buy the upgrade for Vista.... it will void your XP serial so that you can no longer use your XP. So going back to XP is not an option if Vista is a problem.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Vista Ultimate
« Reply #149 on: February 02, 2007, 12:41:01 PM »

Well being Norwegian one thing is clear: He like Vista is expensive.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone