Author Topic: which Corsair?  (Read 2710 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
which Corsair?
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2007, 02:51:20 PM »
Not necessarily as you can also zoom at high AoA's as well. The Hog can do both exceptionally well.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
which Corsair?
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2007, 03:15:34 PM »
Originally posted by Petee
What exactly is a zoom climb?

Zoom climb  is most times  explained in 2 ways -

some will tell you to just  "UNLOAD" the stick (unload the G's/pull).meaning pull back to your desired angle of climb and let go of the stick, let it climb under normal G-Load ( usually about  + 1G ).others will explain it as after having speed built up say 300 mph +   pull up into about a 30 deg to 70 deg climb angle, then unload the G's and use a gentle forward push to rest the G - Meter on the "0".meaning a No- G-Load climb ( ie---ZOOM) as your speed drops off level out.both of these will gain you more Altitude quicker than using a constant pull while climbing......

edit: the 30 deg to 70 deg   angle of climb suggestion is for examples only, use what works best for the situation.......
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 03:18:31 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
which Corsair?
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2007, 03:35:05 PM »
Zoom climbing is a good way to maintain an energy advantage.  If you are above an enemy, you have an altitude advantage, and if you are at a decent speed, you likely have an energy advantage as well.  Not always, because a lower plane could be faster than the higher plane, and actually have the energy advantage.  That's not really the norm though.

If you have an alt/energy advantage, you will generally need to dive down on your enemy to gain the angles advantage needed for your shot.  So you are turning an energy advantage into a positional or angles advantage.  After your shot, or when you lose your window for making the shot, most pilots will "zoom" back up to regain the energy advantage, and try again.  So you're are turning an energy advantage into an angles advantage, and then transitioning it back into an energy advantage again.  This is basic BnZ or "boom" and "zoom" flying.  The "boom" being the dive, and the "zoom" being the climb.  Done correctly, you will end up high again, at nearly the starting altitude, with nearly the starting speed.  Avoid the black out at the bottom, as this is a sign you are scrubbing energy.  You can repeat this attack until you are successful, or until you squander you're E advantage and need to "extend" or die.

Most people squander the alt/speed advantage they have, and then die as a result.  It's not always bad to dump the energy, but if you fail to turn it into a successful angles advantage and make a killing hit, you've given up your advantage and will need to finish the fight on even ground, or even from a disadvantaged state.  

The three ways people inadvertantly destroy their energy advantage are by turning too hard, turning flat, or flying level for too long, generally while chasing the enemy plane.  Turning too hard is pretty obvious.  Turning flat causes you to loss speed, with no way to recover that speed other than diving, hence you will be lower/slower than when you started.

Flying level at the bottom of your "boom" is a more subtle way to kill your "E".  Each plane has a top speed at a given altitude.  That is the speed where thrust=drag.  If your top speed is 350 at 10k, and you start at 15k at 375, when you dive to 10k you will be above your top speed.  If you stay level at 10k, you will eventually slow down until you are flying at 350, even if you are WEPed at full throttle.  You will be lower and have lower potential energy as a result.  Not always bad, but not always good.  

TnB fighting is generally slower, often at low alt, and is almost a race to get slower than the other guy, so he will be forced out in front of you to be shot.  Obviously scrubbing too much E is fatal though.  The pilot/plane who can maintain control at a slow enough speed to stay behind his opponent, but with enough speed to keep him from getting away, will usually win.

Somewhere between BnZ and TnB fighting is where Energy or "E" fighting resides.  It is a mix of the the two styles, and in my opinion the most efficient way to score consistant kills.  The way I look at E fighting is similar to a rollercoaster.  In a rollercoaster there is an initial climb to gain energy, and then a series of manuevers designed to minimize energy loss, but maximize the "fun".  Fast rolls, loops, etc, but low G's, and always with frequent trips back upwards to avoid flat turns and the resulting energy loss.

This is a pretty basic description, and not the only way to fight.  Just an idea of some of the things the successful pilots know intuitively, and are constantly considering.

In a corsair, true TnB fighting is tough.  With proper flap usage and throttle control you can surprise lots of the better known "turn-fighters" though.  Some do it better than others, but the Hogs are not great accelerators.  So even if you win the fight, it is easy to lose to the next red guy to come along.  It takes time to rebuild your speed and/or alt again.  Very good SA is needed to be successful here.

True BnZ fighting is tough too, but safer.  It is hard to turn a large speed/alt advantage into a good angles shot, especially if the lower/slower guy knows how to deal with you.  Your shots will be brief too, because your closure speed is so high.  Assist city!  It's also more boring than most floks want to deal with.  It is safe though because a higher faster plane can stay out of the lower guy's sights.

E fighting kind of gives you the best of both worlds.  The cosair is fast enough to get away from the planes it can't out-turn, and can turn well enough to out-turn the planes it can't get away from.

MtnMan
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
which Corsair?
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2007, 05:18:16 PM »
A very good write-up Mtnman!
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
which Corsair?
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2007, 11:24:38 PM »
I've never looped a hog. Just line up with the strip, cut power, lower flaps, lower gear, add power until it just hangs in the air. Continue down and level out above the field. cut power and let it settle. Just before it touches down flare (pull back on the stick to keep it floating) and let it settle. you hit the runway so slow just apply breaks or let it coast down. Works every time.

Offline stantond

• Nickel Member
which Corsair?
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2007, 11:55:22 AM »
Just to add a comment that I think hasn't been mentioned in this thread.... keep elevator trim slightly below or at the centered indicator when landing.  That way, you don't have to pull back on the stick much at 80 ias to lock the tail wheel.  Locking the tail wheel eliminates ground loops both on landing and take off.

With that in mind, the Corsair is pretty easy to land.  I've come in at 400 ias on the deck 1k away from the field, chopped throttle, lowered gear, barrel rolled, dropped flaps, then crabbed into a three point landing.  On the other end of the envelope, I've landed a F4U-1 without a wing tip, elevator, or ailerons using manual trim, the throttle, rudder,  flaps, and engine.  Although with that much plane damage, I usually belly land.

I like the F4U1, mostly because that's the one where I've spend the most time.  Greebo used to have a FU4-1 land camo skin available so I could pretend it was a spitfire.

Good luck and have fun,

Malta

Offline Crispy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.thegreenmountainboys.com
which Corsair?
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2007, 04:41:43 PM »
Originally posted by mtnman

In a corsair, true TnB fighting is tough.  With proper flap usage and throttle control you can surprise lots of the better known "turn-fighters" though.  Some do it better than others, but the Hogs are not great accelerators.  So even if you win the fight, it is easy to lose to the next red guy to come along.  It takes time to rebuild your speed and/or alt again.  Very good SA is needed to be successful here.

MtnMan

What MtnMan said about acceleration on the hog is maybe a bit of an under statement.  It is the hogs biggest weakness.  It accelerates awefull.  Don't get slow in it unless you have tons of room to get back up to speed. A slow hog is ussualy a ded hog if there are some fairly proficient enemies around.  At the other end of the spectrum its top speed & zoom and the way it handles fast are its strongest points.  Yes it can turn with a spit 16 at speed but if you don't get the kill in a couple turns you better bug out.  If the guy is good the spit will begin to get the advantage.

Another thing I noticed with the hog it seem more sensative than average to fuel load.   Under 50% gas it is very nimble...at 100% it is a brick so plan your fight accordingly.  If you want to turn fight under 10k I throw my hat in with the -1, mainly because I take 50% gas and don't have to mess with unloading the wing tanks first and I do think it rides the edge better.  And you can fly quite a while with 50% in the -1.  Plus I think the views are a pinch better in the -1 over the -1A.

No matter what plane your in 95% of the skill is in your SA, position of your plane and its energy state, know what your ride is capable of and what the othe plane can do, also a plan & sticking to it, and all ways knowing where your safe zone is.  It is NOT how well you can yank & spray.  Think 2 or 3 moves ahead...not just the 1rst move to point at bad guy.  95% of the guys out there are "point & shoot" guys, use that to your advantage and anticapate and have second or third move planned.

IMHO   cris