Author Topic: Spitifres  (Read 2007 times)

Offline devil956

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Spitifres
« on: February 12, 2007, 01:06:48 AM »
Ok,the spitfire is overmodeled(said by many) and im wondering if it would be hard to correct that overmodeling, so people will stop saying you are a noob just for being in any bloody spitfire.

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
Spitifres
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 01:09:34 AM »
Who cares what they say? I'm going to fly it all the time now just to annoy people.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
Re: Spitifres
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 01:46:16 AM »
Originally posted by devil956
Ok,the spitfire is overmodeled(said by many) and im wondering if it would be hard to correct that overmodeling, so people will stop saying you are a noob just for being in any bloody spitfire.

Don't listen to what folks say.  If you want to fly the Spit, fly the Spit.  Besides, by what basis can people say its "overmodeled"?

Enjoy the game.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Spitifres
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 01:46:29 AM »
Not a single player in the game has actually flown a real Spitfire that I know of.

Until we get a Spitfire pilot who has flown combat to tell us it's wrong, I'm gonna trust that HTC has done the best they can.

As for people complaining.  let em whine.  If you are having fun, who cares?

Fly Spits if you want, and don't apologize for it :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
Re: Spitifres
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 01:49:47 AM »
Originally posted by devil956
im wondering if it would be hard to correct that overmodeling, so people will stop saying you are a noob just for being in any bloody spitfire.

The problem they are not overmodeled. Ppl whine on spits because its far easier to accuse spits as overmodeled than to admit his own loosy skills and learn to fight it.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline Atoon

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Spitifres
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 02:14:11 AM »
Yea, im sure the AH flight model of all the spit models is spot on. After all, it's not like a game would have any benefit from making certain models alot easier to fly & kill in. That would be like offering a form of leverage for the NEWBIES to combat the LEARNING CURVE.

Leverage for newbies to combat the learning curve-

Is there an echo in here?
Thanx for addressing the signature issue FAIRLY, I am morally aloud to patronize your business again. I am Anton & Uknome, Current game-ID Anton1.   *-Brown Nosers STINK!-*

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
Spitifres
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 02:32:56 AM »
Ignore them. As long as you steer clear the XVI, all the other planes seem pretty accurate. If you like speed, fly the IX. If you like to turn, fly the V. If you like a challenge, fly the I. But ignore the dweeb moniker in any spitfire ('cept the XVI. And Im NOT going to answer to WHY I feel the XVI is bugged)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Spitifres
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 02:35:34 AM »
Atoon.  Just to put it in perspective.  While in England a couple years ago i was talking to a guy who flies Spits currently.

His comment on the Spit was that it's too easy to fly.  They were flying a Hurricane and Spit V to Malta for an airshow and the two pilots took turns on the two planes because the Hurricane was the bigger challenge to fly.

He said that they probably should have started new pilots on Spits and then moved them on to T-6s and such.

What an amazing testement to the designer of the Spit that he could create such a great combat fighter yet give it such ease of handling that newbie Spit pilots could have a chance to survive in it as well.

Don't blame the Spit for being the plane it is.  And quit with the game somehow made one plane easier so newbies could get some confidence.

Your combat Spit flight time is how much? :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Spitifres
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 02:39:40 AM »
Spits are excellent targets. Up them as much as you like and dont bother with what others say about it.

Im pretty sure that after a while you will find more challenging and fun planes to  fly. :)

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
Spitifres
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 02:47:22 AM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
Atoon.  Just to put it in perspective.  While in England a couple years ago i was talking to a guy who flies Spits currently.

His comment on the Spit was that it's too easy to fly.  They were flying a Hurricane and Spit V to Malta for an airshow and the two pilots took turns on the two planes because the Hurricane was the bigger challenge to fly.

He said that they probably should have started new pilots on Spits and then moved them on to T-6s and such.

What an amazing testement to the designer of the Spit that he could create such a great combat fighter yet give it such ease of handling that newbie Spit pilots could have a chance to survive in it as well.

Don't blame the Spit for being the plane it is.  And quit with the game somehow made one plane easier so newbies could get some confidence.

Your combat Spit flight time is how much? :)

In flight, sure, but Ive always heard they could be widowmakers on take-off and landing, both because they had a tendency to strike the prop, and with that big nose it was hard to see. I beleive the spitfire is overmodeled in that I have never had a prop strike on takeoff or landing ;)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Spitifres
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 02:52:38 AM »
We did have one Spitfire pilot from New Zealand try AH a few years back.  He said the AH Spitfire was mushy and harder to control than the real one was.  He said it felt like it was worn out.

So there you have it, the AH Spitfires are undermodeled according to a guy who flew real Spitfires in real combat.

(I have no idea how accurate his memories were or if he had enough stick time in AH to really get a feel for it.  I am just posting a paraphrase of what a real Spit pilot said about AH)
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Spitifres
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 02:58:24 AM »
Originally posted by Serenity
In flight, sure, but Ive always heard they could be widowmakers on take-off and landing, both because they had a tendency to strike the prop, and with that big nose it was hard to see. I beleive the spitfire is overmodeled in that I have never had a prop strike on takeoff or landing ;)

And you've heard this where?  What mark of Spit they talking about etc?

It's that kind of generalized "I heard somewhere" stuff that drives me up the wall.

You base your comments on the modeling on how much actual Spitfire time? :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
Spitifres
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 03:07:36 AM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
And you've heard this where?  What mark of Spit they talking about etc?

It's that kind of generalized "I heard somewhere" stuff that drives me up the wall.

You base your comments on the modeling on how much actual Spitfire time? :)

It was a joke. But... Spitfires mk I and II, heard from:

Spitfire Ace part 1
"Fly for your life" stated by spitfire pilot Robert Stanford Tuck
Top Ten: Fighters (Though that show is woefully inacurate)
AX-something (A world war two newsreel produced in America about the modern RAF aircraft)

So yeah, it is hard to take off because it has such a large prop. New pilots had a tendency to push the nose over a bit too far and strike the prop. Didnt kill ya, just abbreviated your flight. And the nose thing was notorious. Tuck talked about how he was told by the original test pilot to apply a bit of right rudder on final so as to keep the airfield in view. Then at the last second, to straighten out and touch down. So yeah, its a joke but backed by fact. ['gangsta' voice] What now?!? ['gangsta' voice] :blows raspberry  ;)

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
Spitifres
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 03:21:03 AM »
OMG this post is funny. first off dont worry about what other people say. i still fly my spit16 every day. and for the most i out do alot of others and they get mad and say spit dweeb learn a harder plane that aint for noobs so i come back in a P51-b pony dweeb learn something harder so i come back in a F4U1a what they say then F4u1as are way over modeled and you should not do 400 in that thing. they say it about everything ITS YOUR 14.95 ENJOY IT ANY WAY YOU WANT TO.

and as far as the spits yes its true some spits knocked out prop on take off and landing but not enough to make them stop rolling them out of the factory. if HTC did this then who would enjoy them. ITS A GAME NOT REAL LIFE. and i would also agree on the spits are undermodeled not all of them but some of them i think the Spit1 is good spitV undermodeled
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Spitifres
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 03:23:53 AM »
Quoting current high time Spitfire pilot Charles Brown.

"The Spitfire Mk V is undoubtedly the most delightful, capable and yet utterly benign aircraft that I have ever flown.  All Spitfires speak to you through the controls, but none more then this aircraft.  It is utterly predictable in its handling and positively inspires me with confidence.  Even the take off and landing are easy compared to other aircraft of the same configuration, power and weight."

Tuck got his first flights in Spit Is with two bladed, fixed pitch props.  Take offs were a bit different with a prop that had to handle both take off and cruise and high speed flight.

We're blessed with variable pitch props in AH that adjust to take the power of the engine as needed for the task at hand.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters