Author Topic: What's Your Single Issue Voting Flash Point?  (Read 2426 times)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
What's Your Single Issue Voting Flash Point?
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2007, 02:41:57 PM »
I think there are three..  The need to get rid of unconstitutional gun control laws...  the need to make the government smaller and the need to lower taxes.

as for abortion... at some point you are killing a baby.   got nothing against that but be men or women enough to admit that you are fine with killing an innocent human being...

it is the height of cowardice to say that it is the womans decision (at some point in the fetus development)  

You are pretty much saying that as long as the mothers skin hides the baby that it it not a human...   This is very dehumanizing.

At least admit it is killing an innocent human but say that you have a good excuse.

If you won't then... don't call it a double murder when a pregnant woman is murdered.   can't have it both ways... it is not up to women to decide who is human or not.    It is not their right to drown newborns.   work backwards from there and decide at what point it is ok to kill.   What point the kid can survive or not without the "mother".   Thats what works for me..

Find that point the the kid can live without her and say... past this point... you have no right to kill.

MT actually came close... no one has any rights unless someone with a gun makes sure they don't have em removed.   The baby can't hold a gun so it is up to us to hold one for him... and then for him to hold one when we no longer can.

lazs

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2007, 02:43:36 PM »
Oh... I do believe that a woman should have the right to do with her body as she pleases... she can do drugs or cut off her fingers for all I care... just like anyone else.  She has no special right to decide who lives or dies.

lazs

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2007, 03:49:44 PM »
I got to wonder about any man who puts the right of a women to be an irresponsible potato above any other issue.

It's not your issue. You were born with a sack, right?

It really is a silly issue.

Women should use birth control if they are going to be floozies.

If not I still support their right to be an a dirt bag potato and flush her responsibility.

But it so low on my list of important issues it almost doesn’t get consideration.   No one is going to over turn it.

For me the key issue like others have said is firearms laws.   Without them we are just English with good teeth.

With border control a big second and cutting back on the government and its spending a 3rd.

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2007, 04:42:29 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
What about the baby's body?  When does the baby get to decide whether or not it lives?

After its born.

Offline Flatbar

• Nickel Member
Re: What's Your Single Issue Voting Flash Point?
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2007, 04:48:43 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler
If they have a "D" following their name, they do not get my vote

Fortunatly, a majority of voters, as shown in the last congressional election, think the exact opposite.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2007, 04:50:52 PM »
"What's Your Single Issue Voting Flash Point? "

Hillary Clintoon
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2007, 04:57:29 PM »
Originally posted by AWMac
Illegal Immigration  and the Security of Amercian Borders...North and South.

Mac

Damn right. Anything to keep the mexicans and Nash out!:aok
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2007, 05:01:24 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
When it can carry a gun?

If that was the case, it may be possible lazers mommy could still put him down!:D

What would the Nation do!!

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2007, 06:31:06 PM »
This discussion reminds me of a third issue that constitutes a voting flash point for me:  capital punishment.  

For or against?  Is a candidate's position on capital punishment a deal breaker for you?  

I want a candidate who supports capital punishment after all the usual appropriate safeguards against zapping innocents.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2007, 06:35:47 PM »
I worked on DeathRow  for 3 years...I say ZAP em.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2007, 08:19:36 PM »
(quote) Halo, regarding being pro-choice and McCain's desire to repeal Roe v. Wade, read this article by Ron Paul. http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul301.html Dr. Paul also thinks Roe v. Wade should be repealed, but not simply because he's pro-life (which he is). He wants it repealed because it's not a constitutional issue, not within the scope of powers granted to the fedgov by the CoTUS, therefor it's a state issue. Social policy is not a federal issue.

This illustrates my "single issue". Even if I don't agree with Ron on the abortion issue (I, too, am pro-choice) I wholeheartedly agree with his rational and his constitutionality test that every issue must pass in order to get his vote. (unquote)

Thanks, bsdaddict, interesting and concise read.  States' rights is a fascinating issue itself.  Ideally that could allow for regional preferences and unique needs.  

But some issues seem to transcend states' rights.  Some issues are too important to allow variations from the national norm.  Examples are national defense, international trade, and racial equality.  Surely abortion, gun control, and capital punishment also qualify as national issues requiring adherence in all 50 states.  

Opponents of federal legislation frequently try to weaken it by contending that for one reason or another, usually their preference for more states' rights, there is no federal issue and hence no requirement for federal participation.  Trying to undermine the existing authority is an ancient debate technique.  

I think it's despicable the way abortion opponents have tried to confiscate the term pro life or pro choice.  Can you find one person anywhere who is not for life and for the right to make choices?  Abortion proponents are for life and for their right to choose whether to give birth.  

They are not against life and not against birth.  They contend it is their individual right and not any government's to decide whether they should allow a pregnancy to continue to birth.  

People who make the wrenching decision to abort may cherish life just as much as anyone else.  In supporting the right to abort, I agree that it's a shame government ever had to get involved in what is a woman's most basic right -- to choose how and if to carry a pregnancy.

Yes, it gets complicated.  I spent a lot of time researching the terms terminate, kill, and murder.  Thanks to modern medical technology, we gain a clear view of what the fetus looks like from conception to birth.  The more human it looks, the more any termination looks like murder.

But murder is "1. the unlawful and malicious or premeditated killing of one human being by another;" (Webster's New World Dictionary).  Kill is "1. to cause the death; make die."  

Does any woman get pregnant to break the law and conceive a life just to murder it?  Or even to kill it in a legal sense under existing law? Why would anyone ever do anything like that?  No reward at all, just great potential discomfort, pain, anguish, cost, and maybe personal perceived guilt depending on individual religious belief.

Women have to live with an abortion decision all their lives.  It seems logical and benevolent to offer women information about possible consequences and alternatives (including adoption).  But then leave the abortion decision to each woman.    

Do prospective fathers have any say?  In my view, they have every right to try to influence an abortion decision one way or the other.  But it is the woman's body.  And yes, only she really knows who the father is, and then only if she has not had sex with more than one male during the time of conception.

In short, who else to better decide than the female who has the pregnancy within her?  

What about girls wanting abortions, children who are not yet officially women?  That's a classic gray area depending on variables such as whether they have competent parents or whether they are old and/or mature enough to decide.  Rape and incest are other variables that usually qualify for abortion.  

In such cases, boards of qualified physicians and other officials may have to participate in the decision, still always trying to do what the female wants or what is in her best interest (often adoption) if she is unable or incompetent to decide.    

Lawmakers with the best of intentions try to walk the fine line between human rights and killing.  Murder is based on intention as much as result.  
Unlawful, malicious, premeditated -- does any woman get pregnant to kill her baby?  Doubtful.  

The laws place all sorts of conditions on abortions.  Many of them are term limits.  Who could stand to see a woman give birth and then kill the baby?  
Who could stand to see anyone kill anything that looks a lot like a baby, e.g., fetuses more than three months or so.

Women who decide to abort make an awesome decision.  As a man I am grateful that, in my view at least, it is not my decision.  I think the decision whether or not to give birth is between a woman and her god, whatever that is.  

I think modern medicine should help the woman whatever she decides, and I'm content with the present definitions of allowable length of pregnancy when abortion is allowed simply because I can't think of a better way to do it.

I think some doctors are against abortion because the fetuses to them are all too human looking, and most of us never have anything like that intimate a view of humans in the making.  

Other doctors see that and still support a woman's decision to choose to abort because they think it is her right to decide.  

Then the issue of baby rights comes up.  Actually fetus rights.  Until birth and survival on their own, all babies of all creatures are parasites, depending on their host for survival.  

I vote for host rights (specifically, the pregnant female's rights), including their (her) right to decide whether to have a baby.  

I think the present U.S. federal treatment of abortion is a well-reasoned policy representing the usual challenging compromises of competing beliefs dearly held by both sides.  It is simply incredible that American citizens can live peaceably under some major decisions implemented by the thin margin of a 5-4 Supreme Court vote.  

All you loyal Americans and members of free nations everywhere, give yourself a pat on the back and keep the dialogue going.  Better than blood on the streets of Baghdad from tribalism that either disregards or does not understand democracy.  

Sorry this is so long-winded.  But sometimes have to dot a lot of i's in such important and complicated topics.  This is just my view.  For or against, feel free to state your case so we can learn from each other.  

And keep those vote-breaking issues coming.  What other issues make you decide yes or no for a candidate?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 08:56:03 PM by Halo »
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2007, 08:37:30 PM »
Originally posted by Halo
Examples are national defense, international trade, and racial equality.  Surely abortion, gun control, and capital punishment also qualify as national issues requiring adherence in all 50 states.  

I disagree on gun control. That is the epitome of a state's rights issue. The Constitution guarantees an individual right to own and use firearms. However, certain states have chosen to restrict that right and so far none of the restrictions have been overturned by the Supreme Court.

Seems pretty clear to me that the SC regards it as a state's rights issue right now.

Further, why should a lightly populated state with comparatively little crime be held to restrictions designed to limit the crazed, over-crowded beserker killer rats in cities from hurting each other?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2007, 10:50:59 PM »
Originally posted by Halo
Lots o' stuff
The problem with your line of reasoning is that you are making the woman central to the argument of whether abortion should be legal or not.  But you obviously either missed or are intentionally ignoring my post.

If a woman wants to stab herself in the belly, throw herself down a flight of stairs, take 10 full packages of birth control pills, whatever, to get rid of a pregnancy, that is her "right to do with her body as she sees fit" per your argument.

When going to the clinic, the woman is not giving herself the abortion.  A doctor is doing it.  Doctors are licensed and therefore regulated.  There are policies and procedures and laws ad nauseum about what doctors and medical facilities can or can not, must and must not do.

To say that no government at any level has the power to regulate or restrict a medical procedure is pure folly.  Otherwise, how could a doctor ever be held accountable for anything he does under the guise of "practicing medicine?"  "Sorry, sir, but the only way to stop the patient's persistent nosebleeds was a cranial amputation.  I have here a signed waiver from the patient giving me authority to perform the procedure.  Although the procedure was successful, the patient did not survive the operation.  Tsk tsk."

Unfortunately, abortion is an issue where pure facts and legality are easily trumped by emotion and sympathy.  An honest and objective assessment of the issue, however, can only lead one to conclude that R v W is poorly thought out, illogical, and was made to fit a certain desired outcome rather than the proper and logical application law.

My $0.02.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2007, 11:00:05 PM »
(quote) The problem with your line of reasoning is that you are making the woman central to the argument of whether abortion should be legal or not. (unquote)

Yes.

(quote)  If a woman wants to stab herself in the belly, throw herself down a flight of stairs, take 10 full packages of birth control pills, whatever, to get rid of a pregnancy, that is her "right to do with her body as she sees fit" per your argument. (unquote)

Dramatic overstatement.  Most women would rather have a safe procedure by qualified people sanctioned by the government.  

(quote) To say that no government at any level has the power to regulate or restrict a medical procedure is pure folly.  (unquote)

Never said that.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 11:06:13 PM by Halo »

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2007, 11:45:40 PM »
On Abortion.

Its a womans issue and men should stay the hell out of it.

Men simlpy have no say in the issue as I have yet to get a woman to do. or not do something unless they already wanted to do or not do it to begin with.

I myself am pro choice.
I myself would never tell a woman to have an abortion
Nor would I tell her not to.

Much of this issue has to do with beleif sytems.
I do feel that one set of beleifs should never be forced upon someone else.
the bottom line is quite simple.

Keep it legal. If your moral ethics or beleifs tell you its wrong.
Dont have one.
But dont force your morals or beleifs on others.

the one thing I am against however.
Is minors being able to get one without parental notification.

Far as I am concerned. Untill my child is legally an adult. I in the most literal sense of the word, own that child. And as such have every right to know every single detail in that childs life
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 11:49:37 PM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty