Author Topic: What's Your Single Issue Voting Flash Point?  (Read 2425 times)

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
What's Your Single Issue Voting Flash Point?
« on: February 20, 2007, 03:27:37 PM »
Mine is abortion.  I think a woman's body is hers to do with as she pleases.  I don't think men have any right to tell women what they can do with their bodies.

That includes the decision whether or not to give birth.  Only the woman really knows who the father is anyway, and if she is promiscuous she might not know without a DNA test.

There are sociological, religious, political and psychological issues galore concerning abortion, but ultimately I dont see whether the decision to continue a pregnancy is anybody's business except the mother's.  

McCain is upfront enough to say he wants to repeal Roe vs. Wade and take away a woman's right to abortion.

Sorry, John, but that crosses my vote/no vote line, and I hope you never are elected President of the United States.  

This is just one example of a threshold election issue for me.  Another is gun control.  I won't vote for a candidate who tries to penalize or restrict law abiding citizens for owning firearms.

So without arguing any of the many issues since we're bound to disagree on some of them, what are your flashpoint election issues that would cost a candidate your vote if he/she supported them?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 03:30:13 PM by Halo »
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 03:35:20 PM »
I don't have a "dealbreaker" issue. I look at the total package a candidate has to offer.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 03:40:27 PM »
Well I have to agree with Halo a womans body is hers not the govts.
And on gun control, look at the other country's that have total gun control, who still has the guns?

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 03:42:21 PM »
Originally posted by dmf
Well I have to agree with Halo a womans body is hers not the govts.
And on gun control, look at the other country's that have total gun control, who still has the guns?

What about the baby's body?  When does the baby get to decide whether or not it lives?
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Trell

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 04:05:08 PM »
After it is born.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 04:14:51 PM »
GUN CONTROL!!!!

After that I would love to see someone take us back to follow the way the CONSTITUTION was written. Get rid of all the frigging amendments and other crap and lets get back to the original intent of the document.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 05:14:16 PM »
Illegal immigration.

I can hide my guns, but there isn't much I can do about the 5 illegal families stuffed into the single-family house down the street who think it's "art" to spray-paint gang logos on everything, or the growing number of stores where none of the employees speak English.  Or the number of hospital ERs shut down because they're flooded with non-paying illegals demanding special treatment and priority.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 05:18:00 PM »
If I had deal breakers , I wouldn't vote for none of the crooks.
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 05:23:29 PM »
Illegal Immigration followed closely by taxes.

Especially since this state (Maine) leads the pack in the highest level of taxation

Offline Irwink!

• Nickel Member
      • http://msn.com
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 05:25:59 PM »
My first and foremost main issue is politicians who's first allegiance is to something other than the good of their constituents and the nation. That leaves me with virtually no one to vote for.

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 05:39:23 PM »
Hajo,

Exactly as I see it.
I dont know the answer to abortion but I say this, everyone elses rights stop at my daughters skin.
I have never voted for anyone who wanted to make law that took the right to control our bodies and what is inside them away from us.
+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 06:22:17 PM »
4th/5th amendment.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 06:33:24 PM »
2nd; the linchpin by which the other nine are held in place.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 06:41:03 PM »
Illegal Immigration  and the Security of Amercian Borders...North and South.

Mac

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 07:39:34 PM »
I have no trouble with modern women controlling their own bodies.....if only they would.

Millions of abortions performed mindlessly merely because the birth of a child would be inconvenient is despicable and narcissistic.

That many abortions indicates that far too many women are still having unprotected sex because using a condom or other form of birth control is inconvenient in the heat of the moment.

If they don't want children then they can get up off their backs and get their feet out of the air.....or use a safe form of birth control.

The unborn should not be totally without rights of any kind.

Bye the way....listening to the news on the radio this morning I heard about a 23 week old fetus that was safely delivered and is now surviving on life support.   Erm....excuse me....it is now a "premature" child.