Author Topic: Trim for speed  (Read 752 times)

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Trim for speed
« on: March 26, 2007, 06:51:28 AM »
I would like to be able to set the speed of my plane so it automatically climbs straight and level at that speed like it tells you how to do on the trainers website. When I have tried it I usually end up swithchind my engine off which has E as the original setting on the keyboard.

Does anyone know what I am talking about and could they spell out the instuctions, here, in an idiot proof fashion, so I can try them and find out what needs to be done.

This has been a great source of frustration to me over the weekend so any help will be greatly appreciated.
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
Trim for speed
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 06:56:15 AM »
The command is a dot command. Open up your radio bar and type .speed ### where ### is the speed you want to climb at.

To climb at 200, you would type:

.speed 200[ENTER]

in your radio bar.

Regards,

Hammer
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Trim for speed
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 07:01:31 AM »
You know how to open the radio text bar, right? The / key is the correct answer.

Assuming you wish to maintain a climb speed of 250, type .speed 250 into the radio text bar, followed by hitting ENTER.  A climb speed of 235 would require typing .speed 235

Now once having done that, you need to put the aircraft into auto speed with is done by pressing the Alt and X keys.

There ya have it :aok

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Trim for speed
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 07:27:30 AM »
Just followed the instructions setting a b26 to fly at 120 just after take off and it did not work at all well. Very violent changes and did not fly in a straight line.

I disengaged auto take off first but can you give me an example where I can set auto speed and it will be in workable parameters? and is it possible to set auto speed straight from Auto take off? and what is the best way to switch of any of these auto modes when returning to manual?

Please
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Trim for speed
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 07:53:52 AM »
Normal auto-climb speed is 160 IAS for most AC. Using a climb speed of 120 for a B-26 just may be too close for a stall. Try this: take off with auto take-off and once gear and flaps are retracted, give the aircraft  30 seconds or so to develop positive speed.

Look at the speed gauge. Start backing it down 10 knots at a time. When you start buffeting/stalling, you know where the limit is. At that point a notch of flaps may help you.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Trim for speed
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 08:13:42 AM »
Do you have to switch of auto take off first and if so what is the best way to swithch it off?
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Trim for speed
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 08:30:51 AM »
Moving controls will disable any autopilot (auto takeoff, auto climb, auto angle or level). You can hand fly the plane and establish a heading and rate of climb of 1,000 fpm, then set auto angle (Shift+X). Or, you can set speed of 150 mph (.speed 150), then set Autoclimb (Alt+X).

Remember that climb rate is affected by weight. You rarely need more than 1/2 fuel in a bomber.

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
Trim for speed
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 02:44:14 PM »
A point that I did not notice scanning through the posts relates to the relative speeds when you engage the trim.

Always make sure you trim to a speed your aircraft is capable of flying safely. The default trim speed is excellent if you want to climb fast. Climbing at a slower speed may increase the angle of climb but this will decrease the rate of climb which is not what you really want to do.

If you are going slow just after take off, maybe little more than 100 and you engage a trim for 120 the aircraft will dive without it knowing it is already low and may crash into the ground. So when engaging a trim speed higher than your current speed, be aware the aircraft will always dive until it gets to the trim speed.

On the other hand a violent response can also occur if you trim for slow when already flying much faster than trim speed. This response is safer as it will be a pitch upwards away from the ground.

If you want to let the trims do all the work, I suggest you let auto take off take you up a 1000 feet above the airfield height. Then disengage by a push forward on the joystick until it turns off and engage autospeed trim using the default setting. I would doubt that the autotake off and default speed trim are so different to be a problem at 1000 feet above take off.

I very rarely change the default trim speed (btw changes to default only apply to the current flight). I have used it to make easy CV landings e.g. line up at about the speed you want to fly at, say 105, set auto speed to 105 and engage it. Now all you have to do is play with flaps and throttle to take it down prefectly at 105 all the way! Add power if dropping short, add flap if overshooting. Adjust the line up now and then but quickly re-engage the trim. OK you have to set it up about right to start with but this shows you how to control a proper constant speed approach using flaps and throttle. You take over (disengage trim) at the last minute to flare out (Don't leave this too late!).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 02:53:24 PM by Blagard »

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Trim for speed
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 05:21:07 AM »
Setting a speed lower than the default is not recomended.

The better use for that command is to set a shallower but faster climb. Most high wingloaded planes will only loose a little in climbrate relative to the gain in speed (close to the default best-climb speed). If you set the climb speed to ~200 which is about 25% faster, you typically loose only 10% in climb rate (exact numbers may vary). Thus you cover more distance while climbing, saving time if the target is far away. In the mosquito for example, I always climb at 200 mph.

Another use is to set the climb speed to be high enough as to allow some manuverability in case you get bounced. This is useful in case you are climbing after a fight at the edge of the furball. In P47s, I set it to 190 mph.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Trim for speed
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 05:55:57 AM »
Originally posted by Yarbles
Just followed the instructions setting a b26 to fly at 120 just after take off and it did not work at all well. Very violent changes and did not fly in a straight line.

I disengaged auto take off first but can you give me an example where I can set auto speed and it will be in workable parameters? and is it possible to set auto speed straight from Auto take off? and what is the best way to switch of any of these auto modes when returning to manual?

Please

you prob already know to do this, but do not forget to level out , increase speed and raise the flaps on bombers before setting autospeed/auto climb (   the .speed xxx   command )

this  could have hindered you if you forgot to bring the flaps in.........
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Trim for speed
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 11:38:15 AM »
If you'll notice what TC and Blagard said... you need to get to the climb speed you've decided on. If it's 160 mph in a bomber then;
take off
clears obstructions
go level (x key)
make sure you have all your flaps and gear up
type in /.speed 160 and hit enter
when your plane gets to 160 hit auto climb (alt-x keys)

The plane will begin it's climb at that speed. The Rate of Climb (ROC) will be determined by the speed you set.

Ok, now you've tried all of that and you are still having problems? It raises the concern that you may be flying with a mouse or have a stick that has not been properly calibrated. If you set climb speed and are using a mouse it might not be able to hold center close enough to allow auto climb to stay engaged. There's not much you can do about that. Alternatively, if your stick is not calibrated the same thing will happen as it will allow center point drift to the point the auto pilot will disengage. That's an easy fix. Just go
esc/options/controls/calibrate stick and follow the simple directions.

Everyone has personal prefs when it comes to climbing out. I'll share mine.
1) If I'm climbing out with a group in fighters. I normally take 10 mph off normal cruise climb so everyone can catch up.
2) When we are all together I normally set speed to 200 and advise I'm going to "WEP" to maintain a better ROC and burn off some off the drop tank (DT) fuel.
3) Upon reaching our acceptable altitude I call everyone the level altitude and we all go on auto level (X key). The term acceptable altitude is determined by your comfort level for entering the engagement area. For some, it might be 6,000 ft (6k). For others, 25k.  You decide but if you're with a group go with the guy who might not like 6k but will settle for some middle of the road altitude of say 12k.
4) I try to get us up and level for a minimum of at least 5 minutes prior to entering the engagement area.
The reason for this is simple. You transition from climb at one speed and enter to a stable cruise speed for the given plane you're in. It takes time to get to that cruise speed. For example, a spit V might climb comfortably at 200 mph up to 12000 ft. But it cruises at 290 mph. From that cruise speed you have many options. You can dip the nose and easily get to 350 mph in a few seconds or just go straight up from level flight into an immelman or anything in between. Your engagement options are endless and you are less suseptable from BnZ'rs in the area.

When I climb alone I normally take off using auto take off then I use auto angle (shift-x)  a lot and establish a particular ROC (like 2000 feet per min). I may adjust it as I climb to meet my own predetermined cruise alt to give me time to establish a good cruise speed. This gives me good forward, over the ground speed, while also climbing at a adjustable ROC. It requires a little more attention but I arrive over the contested area when I want, at the speed and alt I want fairly quickly and I'm ready to hang my shingle an accept all comers. It's a personal pref that I've been using for years and if you do it with others around you have a tendency to walk away for them when they're not looking.

If you need to go grab a drink or use the head...just use auto climb :)

Hope this helps.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Trim for speed
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 07:45:27 AM »
Anyone who sees this and might have their brain wired like mine should take not that the command is

.speed(SPACE)***   WHERE *** is the speed, this can be done while on auto climb etc but for some reason I never registered the (SPACE) between   .speed and the speed you then type in and for me it was not made explicit enough.

So to drive the point home its .speed 250 NOT .speed250.

For those like me who end up here in future maybe imho and with the utmost respect to those fine body of men and women who make up the trainers maybe this should be made clear on the trainers page.
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Trim for speed
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 07:58:53 AM »
Aces High Radio DOT commands

notice the ones that have no space and the ones that do have a space..........

why people never go to the Aces High Webpage and check out all the available links is beyond me

also, Hammer as a most excellent downloadable/printable 1 Page  quick reference PDF file for

key commands
Aces High trainers Website
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Trim for speed
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 08:06:23 AM »
I think the reason people dont do systematic research is because they dont enjoy it and want to just enjoy the game, as a newbie I can report you inevitably plateau sooner or later and have to seek help and advice though the process is ad hoc. I work in a research orientated field so tend to avoid digesting large amounts of new information when an leisiure.

The answer to your question why people dont etc is we come in all shapes, sizes and colours.
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Trim for speed
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 08:08:29 AM »
But thanks for the dot commands and you have my admiration and respect as your motivation in helping people is to enhance their enjoyment of the game which is trully great. :aok
DFC/GFC/OAP