Author Topic: Perk the M4  (Read 1768 times)

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
Perk the M4
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2007, 12:06:40 PM »
It ran on highly flammable gasoline instead of diesel. That was my understanding of the moniker at least.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Perk the M4
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2007, 12:11:57 PM »
All german tanks ran on gasoline at the time the Sherman earned the nickname.  While in fact some allied tanks of the time were running on diesel.

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
Perk the M4
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2007, 12:21:43 PM »
Could be, I never studied the engines, only top speeds etc. That is just what I was told was the reason by an old timer who was a tanker in WWII, he was referring to the term "Tommy Cooker" specifically as he was a Brit.

Offline PhatHat

• Zinc Member
Perk the M4
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2007, 01:07:58 PM »
Originally posted by Willfly
Well, why not? It makes total sense to perk it based on production rate because if someone has better equipment in actual war, you just gotta deal with it. It's not like the Geneva conventions or something states you must use better equipment sparingly. War is not a game.

Not really. If it were real, you would have to choose what country you want to fight for. Then your selection of vehicles would be limited by what your country could manufacture or otherwise acquire. Production rates were different for different countries, even when they were building crappy aircraft. I wouldn't perk an IL2, just because they didn't build many.

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
Perk the M4
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2007, 01:25:27 PM »
Originally posted by PhatHat
Not really. If it were real, you would have to choose what country you want to fight for. Then your selection of vehicles would be limited by what your country could manufacture or otherwise acquire. Production rates were different for different countries, even when they were building crappy aircraft. I wouldn't perk an IL2, just because they didn't build many.

They made thousands of IL-2's, tens of thousands actually. They had 250 of them built when the Germans attacked the Soviet Union.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Perk the M4
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2007, 01:48:41 PM »
Originally posted by PhatHat
I wouldn't perk an IL2, just because they didn't build many.

The Il-2 is one of the most produced planes of all times. Well over 30.000 built.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Perk the M4
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2007, 08:34:20 PM »
Originally posted by VansCrew1
this may be true but the americans called it the "Ronsin" because just like the lighter,it would go up in flams with one hit.

~VansCrew~

Actually the British called them "ronsons" and the germans called them "tommycookers". This was due to the ammo storage not use of gasoline.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
Perk the M4
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2007, 08:05:23 AM »
Just saying what the vet told me & he definitely said it was the gasoline that caused the fires to burn so brutally. I have no doubt that history says it's the ammo that those names are linked to (I haven't investigated it) I just took him at his word. :aok

Offline PhatHat

• Zinc Member
Perk the M4
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2007, 01:16:26 PM »
Originally posted by Brenjen
They made thousands of IL-2's, tens of thousands actually. They had 250 of them built when the Germans attacked the Soviet Union.

I was speaking of "What if they had only made 10 or 20 IL2's. That would not be a good reason to perk it. I'm sure there are a few really mediocre aircraft that were made in small numbers. Production numbers alone are not a good reason to perk a vehicle.