Author Topic: Global warming update  (Read 2348 times)

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Global warming update
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2007, 06:26:02 PM »
Phhhhffffffffffffffffffffffff fffffffttttttttttttttttttttt!
The Doomsdayers are missing the boat on more accurate theory.
You won`t have to stand behind the "Sky is falling, GW/GCC, and look silly.
According to the Mayan Prohecies the end of time is upon us in 2012.
That blows the long term GW , instant "I R A GW Scientist" for lunch bunch predictions out of the water.
If I were looking for a good Doomsday theory to go with this would be the one.
Mayan predictions have a lot better track record than any long term "scientific" predictions to date................which seems to be sitting on 0.
Of course since a program delving into this is being aired as of late I`m sure the AlBore , "Pay To Sayers" have been put into high gear and are in the midst of producing scientific papers to dispute this as we speak.
No soup for you Al baby. :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 06:30:03 PM by Jackal1 »
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Global warming update
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2007, 07:24:57 PM »
Originally posted by Laurie
i will accept that global warming occurs natrually, but sorry folks, there is NO way you can deny human activity has no effect on the rate of climate change.

:noid

I for one am not denying that humans have an effect on global warming, however the question is how MUCH effect we are having....as compared to naturally occuring events.  THAT'S where we differ in opinion.

As I said, its pure arrogance to think that 6 billion of us can have that much affect on global warming.

Offline Engine

• Silver Member
Global warming update
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2007, 07:49:07 PM »
6 billion is such a tiny number, for the most technologically advanced dominant species?

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Global warming update
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2007, 07:57:44 PM »
Originally posted by Engine
6 billion is such a tiny number, for the most technologically advanced dominant species?
Count the number of cows and trees that produce greenhouse gases and calcuate that into your math.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 08:01:17 PM by Ripsnort »

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Global warming update
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2007, 08:04:16 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Count the number of cows and trees that produce greenhouse gases and calcuate that into your math.

So those scientists are right?

Ya'll are pretty funny when it comes to this subject.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Global warming update
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2007, 08:09:17 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
So those scientists are right?

Ya'll are pretty funny when it comes to this subject.

That's the problem, we don't have enough scientific evidence to positively say "this is right" or "that is right". People take sides, kinda like.....politics!

And there you have your bottom line answer of what its all about...

History books will write about this farce in 300 years like when the "elders" wrote that the world is flat.

Offline Engine

• Silver Member
Global warming update
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2007, 09:02:44 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
I had no idea cows or trees could produce polychlorinated biphenyls.

Unless you're ignoring technology, and simply comparing the amount of farting done by humans vs. cows. Right.

Offline Dadano

• Nickel Member
Global warming update
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2007, 09:45:22 PM »
Oddly... when its activity is high for years on end.. we see some global warming... when it is low... we see some global cooling...

I think we can all agree that the earth is warming and the earth climate is changing right?

Regardless of WHY it is changing, the question is what do we want to do about it.

I personally believe that humans have had an effect on the global climate. Even if this turns out not to be the case, I would rather error on the side of a cleaner way of living than a ,
O'well I'll go on driving my big truck, and burning gas, and smoking cigarettes, and tossing my aluminum cans and plastic bottles in with the rest of the trash and just not care about it. I'm  only on this rock for a short period of time, and I'm going to enjoy it as much as I can.

The simple principle being, we should leave this place in the best possible condition for future generations.

Edit: the graphic is from NASA.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 09:54:16 PM by Dadano »
Dano
Army of Muppets

"Furballing is a disease, and we are the cure... Oink."
-Twitchy

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Global warming update
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2007, 09:56:13 PM »
Five to one, baby
One in five
No one here gets out alive

Dear Sacred Cod,

Please give us a break from the heat generated by the global warming threads.

Amen.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Global warming update
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2007, 01:13:14 AM »
Originally posted by Dadano
I think we can all agree that the earth is warming and the earth climate is changing right?

Regardless of WHY it is changing, the question is what do we want to do about it.

I personally believe that humans have had an effect on the global climate. Even if this turns out not to be the case, I would rather error on the side of a cleaner way of living than a ,

The simple principle being, we should leave this place in the best possible condition for future generations.

The time scale of this plot is too short. Try looking at plots showing the temperatures over several hundred or thousands of years. If you measure the temperatures in 5 minutes intervals between 8 AM and 12 AM You'll think you might be fried by 12 PM. Averages are tricky.

If you look at longer time scales you'll notice similar changes in the earth climate in the distant past, way before humans could possibly be to blame.

I agree with you over all guideline of a cleaner living. Ironically, this sometime contradict with the reduction of CO2 emissions. I'd rather emit more CO2 and burn fossils more efficiently (read, less) than burn more fossils and use the extra energy to prevent from the CO2 to reach the atmosphere, creating more pollution of a different kind. We have many reasons to promote cleaner energy and energy saving. Global warming isn't one of them and it only draw resources from more important issues.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Laurie

• Nickel Member
Global warming update
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2007, 01:38:22 AM »
Originally posted by Shifty
If it is a problem to you, then you might want to consider cutting back on those Euro Typhoon, and Harrier flights you've been taking. Maybe people in the U.S. will follow your lead and the Gore's, Kerrys, and Striesands will give up their private jets.:aok

Preparing to join the armed forces and the army itself is something that has to be there, it's these big skyscrapers tha leave lights on ALL night that needs to be stopped.

Offline Dadano

• Nickel Member
Global warming update
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2007, 01:42:23 AM »
If you look at longer time scales you'll notice similar changes in the earth climate in the distant past, way before humans could possibly be to blame.

I agree. Ya got me.

Next question:

What is the rate in which the warming is taking place relative to similar historical trends.

Can anyone dig up some graphics/data on this?

I'm going to email noaa and see what they can throw at me.
Dano
Army of Muppets

"Furballing is a disease, and we are the cure... Oink."
-Twitchy

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Global warming update
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2007, 02:29:08 AM »
Gents the planet will heat up and it will cool down sooner or later. What is the point of this pissing match between you guys. The planet will change and nothing we can do will stop that short of launching MAD. How about you tards talk about how we will adapt and survive. Who cares if we had a hand in warming it up. It was going to warm or cool down anyway in spite of us. I can just see all of you pissing at each other while standing on top aof the last 5 square yards of dry dirt and then drowning saying "see I told you so....". So freekin what.....Nothing we can do will make it like it was in whatever fantacy you want to go back to. The planet changes...adapt and over come or go extinct.

Fossil Arctic animal tracks point to climate risks
Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:00 AM IST

By Alister Doyle, Environment Correspondent

COAL MINE SEVEN, Svalbard, Norway (Reuters) - Fossils of a hippopotamus-like creature on an Arctic island show the climate was once like that of Florida, giving clues to risks from modern global warming, a scientist said.

Fossil footprints of a pantodont, a plant-eating creature weighing about 400 kg (880 lb), add to evidence of sequoia-type trees and crocodile-like beasts in the Arctic millions of years ago when greenhouse gas concentrations in the air were high.

"The climate here about 55 million years ago was more like that of Florida," Appy Sluijs, an expert in ancient ecology at Utrecht University in the Netherlands, said in Coal Mine Seven on the Norwegian archipelago of Svalbard.

"Where we are now was once a temperate rainforest," he said on Tuesday, at the end of a horizontal mine shaft 5 kms (3 miles) inside a mountain and 300 metres (600 feet) below the surface.

He pointed to a row of footprint impressions found in December in the roof of the mine north of Longyearbyen, the main settlement on the barren treeless Norwegian archipelago 1,000 km (600 miles) from the North Pole.

Sluijs said forests grew in the Arctic when carbon dioxide, the main greenhouse gas, was at about 1,000 parts per million in the atmosphere because of natural swings in the climate.

And he said such concentrations point to risks with surging modern emissions stoked by human use of fossil fuels -- greenhouse gas concentrations are at the highest in at least 650,000 years and rising fast.

"It's a worrying scenario for future global warming," he told a group of students studying climate change. The ancient warming was triggered by natural shifts, perhaps linked to volcanic activity and a thaw of frozen methane.

ICE FREE

Sea levels 55 million years ago were about 100 metres higher than now -- Antarctica was free of ice.

"We are starting processes that will last for hundreds, perhaps thousands of years," he said of modern emissions from burning fossil fuels in power plants, factories and cars.

When Svalbard was hot -- the islands were also close to the North Pole 55 million years ago -- many parts of the globe near the equator would have been too hot for modern plants and animals that have adapted to a modern climate, he said.

Carbon dioxide levels are now at almost 390 per million in the atmosphere, up from 270 before the Industrial Revolution and rising fast. Sluijs said they could reach 1,000 parts per million by 2100 if not held in check.

The footprints were found by chance by two miners. "As far as we know there are only five pantodonts of this type found in the world," said Steve Torgersen, a mining expert.

© Reuters 2007. All Rights Reserved.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Global warming update
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2007, 02:53:37 AM »
Originally posted by cav58d
I went skiiing in Vermont last weekend....If global warming means skiing in April in the NE, then bring er on!

by the way....How many hurricanes made land fall on the US last year?  "nooooo....ocean temps are warming!  run for high ground"

Last year I snowboared in California in July. Thank you global warming.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Global warming update
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2007, 03:34:01 AM »
Originally posted by hyena426
on history channel they had to fly into eric the reds port.. and they said in erics time it was free of ice and he could safely navigate there with there wooden boats..you could not do that now days.{but looks like we mite be able to again soon} did midevil times produce alot of green house gasses? hehe too many hummers?

i think we dont help. but i really believe the earth does alot on its own. i still remmeber the ozone holes they use to scare me with when i was in school. you never hear about those now. all you hear is about global warming.

You really don't think that Eric went into those territories in the winter do you? You see, in medieval times there were also seasons.
In that particular period it was actually rather warm, roughly as warm as today. The Greenland glacier is still belived to have been as big as today, while some of the glaciers (at least one) was smaller.

And as for the trees, they only emit co2 when there is no photosyntesis. The existance of the tree itself, - it's mass, is the mass of greenhouse gas binding (carbon) in the trees favour. BTW, new temperature measures also show that forests have a massive cooling effect.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)