Author Topic: AH in british news.  (Read 3751 times)

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
AH in british news.
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2007, 06:23:03 PM »
Originally posted by Brooke
Regarding accents, here is an amusing site that seems quite good (based on about 10 simple questions, based on things like "Do 'cot' and 'caught' sound the same to you?") picking out where you are from in the US and classifying your accent.

http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have

It would be funny to see if someone from the UK took it where it thinks you are from in the US.

I live less then 15 miles from Charleston, S.C.  :lol

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
AH in british news.
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2007, 07:35:20 PM »
Originally posted by Meatwad
Wonder what would happen if someone took out an ad in the local paper for AHII?

I printed a thing from AH site and put on my sk00l BB in the lobby :)
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
AH in british news.
« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2007, 08:04:51 PM »
Regarding accents, here is an amusing site that seems quite good (based on about 10 simple questions, based on things like "Do 'cot' and 'caught' sound the same to you?") picking out where you are from in the US and classifying your accent.

http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have

It would be funny to see if someone from the UK took it where it thinks you are from in the US.

did the test :rofl   I'm from the Inland north.

Here's what it said

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

Us Brits do indeed call carbonated drinks "pop".  
Now wonders which side of the pond the word "pop" comes from :noid

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
AH in british news.
« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2007, 08:26:53 PM »
It correctly categorized me:  The Inland North.

"You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop.""

I'm from Michigan (the Great Lakes), call carbonated drinks "pop", and do think I speak standard English (well, standard American-style English, to be precise) straight out of the dictionary.  I take offense at the program's notion that it doesn't necessarily think so! :)  After all, to get this result, you basically just say that all the different words sound different ("cot" and "caught", "don" and "dawn", etc.).

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
AH in british news.
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2007, 08:28:17 PM »
Originally posted by Major Biggles
says i'm from the north east. lol, i can't see myself as a new yorker :lol

You could be from New Hampshire! :)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
AH in british news.
« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2007, 08:32:33 PM »
Originally posted by LYNX
Us Brits do indeed call carbonated drinks "pop".  
Now wonders which side of the pond the word "pop" comes from :noid

It is interesting.  At least in the midwest US, people call soda pop "pop".  In California (and I think out east), they call it "soda" (and make fun of people who call it "pop").  In some parts of the south, I hear that they call all soda pop (whether it is cola, rootbeer, orange, whatever)  "Coke" -- which is really whacky.

I ask you though, for soda pop, which is the most-logical choice:  "soda", which has two syllables, or the more-economical "pop" with only one?  I say "pop" is provably best. :)

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
AH in british news.
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2007, 09:09:24 PM »
It is interesting.  At least in the midwest US, people call soda pop "pop".  In California (and I think out east), they call it "soda" (and make fun of people who call it "pop").  In some parts of the south, I hear that they call all soda pop (whether it is cola, rootbeer, orange, whatever)  "Coke" -- which is really whacky.

I ask you though, for soda pop, which is the most-logical choice:  "soda", which has two syllables, or the more-economical "pop" with only one?  I say "pop" is provably best. :)
  This is linky can shed some light on the Soda vs Pop debate.

Second page from link on first page that could easily be missed.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 09:38:53 PM by E25280 »
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
AH in british news.
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2007, 09:27:25 PM »
Originally posted by wooley
Now, I accept the intracacies of our little island (or any part of the world other than North America and the Middle East) are of little interest to most Yanks, but you would have though some basic geographical knowledge might be important when working for the immigration service.
I honestly don't think "geographic knowledge" per se is the problem here.  From the sounds of it, it was more confusion about what is considered a "nationality."

When we think of "nations" or "countries", England, Scotland etc. do not come to mind.  Rather "the United Kingdom" or "Britain" seems to be the country to us, and England, Scotland et. al. seem more like what we would think of as "states."  An American would not think to tell someone that their nationality was "Illinoisian", "Georgian", "Floridian" and so on.  (Maybe the Texans and New Yorkers would, but I digress.)  Thus the notion that your nation of origin is "Scotland" rather than "Britain" is a little odd to us.

After all, I can look at my globe in my living room, and although it has different colors for all the States of the Union and Provinces of Canada, The United Kingdom (including Northern Ireland) is all one color (a fairly disgusting shade of yellow, as a matter of fact).

To further complicate it, there is an annoying perception that "England" and "Britain" are synonyms rather than one being a "subset" of the other.  After all, you all speak "English," not "British," right?

So please have a little patience . . . not that we deserve any, but please anyway. :aok

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
AH in british news.
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2007, 09:36:35 PM »
It correctly categorized me:  The Inland North.

"You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop.""

I'm from Michigan (the Great Lakes), call carbonated drinks "pop", and do think I speak standard English (well, standard American-style English, to be precise) straight out of the dictionary.  I take offense at the program's notion that it doesn't necessarily think so! :)  After all, to get this result, you basically just say that all the different words sound different ("cot" and "caught", "don" and "dawn", etc.).
What will separate "inland north" from "midland" the two is the last two questions.

"Bag" does NOT rhyme with "vague" -- unless you are from Wisconsin.  

And quit saying "aboot" instead of "about."  :D

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
AH in british news.
« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2007, 11:09:01 PM »
Originally posted by E25280
This is linky can shed some light on the Soda vs Pop debate.

Second page from link on first page that could easily be missed.

Oh, man!  This is awesome!  Thanks for posting that.  I find it hilarious that there is a map of The Great Soda vs. Pop Debate. :)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
AH in british news.
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2007, 11:15:50 PM »
What will separate "inland north" from "midland" the two is the last two questions.

"Bag" does NOT rhyme with "vague" -- unless you are from Wisconsin.  

And quit saying "aboot" instead of "about."  :D

Ah, but for Inland North, it is just as you say -- "bag" and "vague" are not the same ("bag" is like "hag", "nag", or the "ag" in "agriculture", whereas "vague" is more like "ate" or "spate"), and "about" and "out" are the same (like "ouch", "snout", or "lout").  Canadians have the "oot" in "aboot".  The only question that I answered "they all sound the same" to is "Mary, merry, and marry".  All the rest are different the way I say them -- and I came out as Inland North.

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
AH in british news.
« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2007, 10:49:36 AM »
Ah, but for Inland North, it is just as you say -- "bag" and "vague" are not the same ("bag" is like "hag", "nag", or the "ag" in "agriculture", whereas "vague" is more like "ate" or "spate"), and "about" and "out" are the same (like "ouch", "snout", or "lout").  Canadians have the "oot" in "aboot".  The only question that I answered "they all sound the same" to is "Mary, merry, and marry".  All the rest are different the way I say them -- and I came out as Inland North.
When I did it the first time, it gave me a Midland result.  I did it a second time changing only the last two answers, and got the Inland North result.

Makes me wonder about that first question -- I had no idea why they asked for an age range, but I can't figure out what else we may have answered differently.  :huh

Offline wooley

• Copper Member
AH in british news.
« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2007, 04:34:05 PM »

To further complicate it, there is an annoying perception that "England" and "Britain" are synonyms rather than one being a "subset" of the other.  After all, you all speak "English," not "British," right?

So please have a little patience . . . not that we deserve any, but please anyway. :aok

For what its worth , I gave my nationality as British (or more precisely, UK). The whole thing would never have come up, had the woman not chosen to change it to English - that England=Britain thing really winds me up.

By the way, on the great soda versus pop debate, you've all got it wrong. The correct term for any carbonated drink is, of course, 'ginger', as in:

"Gie us a swalley o' yer ginger big man", roughly translated as "May I have a sip of your delicious carbonated beverage my good man?".

This website is very enlightening for those of you unfamiliar with my home city.

awayanbileyerheid

It also makes it clear why I'm trying so hard to get a green-card for The States. :aok :D

This thread is soooo far from being in the right forum...

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
AH in british news.
« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2007, 05:00:28 PM »
In theory all you needed to do was to show your passport.

It would show you being a "national" of the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland"

Hence you/I may be English (or Scottish or Welsh), we may be British (unless we come from Northern Ireland) but our nationality is that of a member of the United Kingom.

This is clearly stated on the front of the so called "British" passport.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Whisky58

• Copper Member
AH in british news.
« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2007, 05:31:12 PM »
These small, wet & cold islands in the NW Atlantic have a long and convoluted history.  Great Britain, United Kingdom and The British Isles all describe different bits of geography and you can also proudly claim to come from Northern Ireland, Eire, Scotland, England or Wales - all distinct countries.  
I hope this makes things clearer for our US friends & cousins.:D
Whisky