Author Topic: AH in british news.  (Read 3752 times)

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
AH in british news.
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2007, 10:50:38 AM »
Originally posted by Tilt
Scottish taste buds are destroyed thru overdoses of  Iron Bru by the age of 5.

5? Blinkin heck, what Scots have you met? Their serious wimps! Crikey, by 5 we Highlanders are already on the Whisky!
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline wooley

• Copper Member
AH in british news.
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2007, 12:44:24 PM »
Funny story about about being English / Scottish / Welsh etc and living in the US.

I'm going through the process of applying for permanent residence. As part of that, I had to be fingerprinted and photgraphed.

I turn up at the USCIS office and fill out the form they gave me. One of the questions was 'Of what country are you a citizen?'. Another was 'In what country were you born>'. I answere 'UK' to both those questions.

When I get to the front of the queue, the woman takes my form and looks at my answers. She looks up at me and asks 'are you from the Ukraine?'. I replied 'no - I'm British'. She tells me she was just checking because 'UK' is the Ukraine in their system. SHe goes ahead and types my answers into the system and asks me to check them before submitting.

I notice that she's put 'EN' as my citizenship and country of birth. When I point out to her that I'm not English and wasn't born in England she starts looking at me with suspicion. 'But you said you were British'. 'I am, but I'm not English, I'm Scotish'.

Forty minutes, two levels of supervisors and a phone call to head office later, I finaly mange to convince them that it is indeed possible to be both Scottish and British without ever having been English.

Now, I accept the intracacies of our little island (or any part of the world other than North America and the Middle East) are of little interest to most Yanks, but you would have though some basic geographical knowledge might be important when working for the immigration service.

Offline wooley

• Copper Member
AH in british news.
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2007, 12:46:47 PM »
Funny story about about being English / Scottish / Welsh /Northern Irish and living in the US.

I'm going through the process of applying for permanent residence. As part of that, I had to be fingerprinted and photgraphed.

I turn up at the USCIS office and fill out the form they gave me. One of the questions was 'Of what country are you a citizen?'. Another was 'In what country were you born?'. I answere 'UK' to both those questions.

When I get to the front of the queue, the woman takes my form and looks at my answers. She looks up at me and asks 'are you from the Ukraine?'. I replied 'no - I'm British'. She tells me she was just checking because 'UK' is the Ukraine in their system. She goes ahead and types my answers into the system and asks me to check them before submitting.

I notice that she's put 'EN' as my citizenship and country of birth. When I point out to her that I'm not English and wasn't born in England she starts looking at me with suspicion. 'But you said you were British'. 'I am, but I'm not English, I'm Scotish'.

Forty minutes, two levels of supervisors and a phone call to head office later, I finaly mange to convince them that it is indeed possible to be both Scottish and British without ever having been English.

Now, I accept the intracacies of our little island (or any part of the world other than North America and the Middle East) are of little interest to most Yanks, but you would have though some basic geographical knowledge might be important when working for the immigration service.

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
AH in british news.
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2007, 01:27:54 PM »
Originally posted by scottydawg
What's the most popular beer in the U.K.?

Budweiser.

eeewww? you kidding? we hate american beer, it's horrible.

americans have a weaker palette since the depression, when they watered the beer down to make it go further. once the depression ended you guys seemed to stick to the weaker beer.

in england, by far the most popular on average is real british ale, dark and strong, without the disgusting fizz. some lagers are popular among the nancies though. stella artois, becks, grolsch, etc.

budweiser and coors light etc, are by far our least favourite beers, yuck, taste like messy water

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
AH in british news.
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2007, 02:25:07 PM »
see how Scots "repeat" them selves.............:rofl

however I must admit (to Macleod) that the Kyle of Lochalsh and its environs are not only pretty but on a good day some of the best biking territory in the world...............
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 02:30:13 PM by Tilt »
Ludere Vincere

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
AH in british news.
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2007, 02:34:00 PM »
Who do ya'll keep calling Yanks?:huh
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Spiffing

• Copper Member
AH in british news.
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2007, 02:36:59 PM »
When I was going through my greencard process after marrying my American Wife, I went through the usual INS maze and confusion just like everyone else. About half way through I had to mail in some documents (which they lost) and subsequently they sent me what I now refer to as the "get out of the country letter". Basically, you missed a paperwork deadline, piss off kind of thing.

So, I resubmitted the paperwork through a lawyer and even sent it via a courier, DHL - and they even lost that and tried to deny they'd ever received it! Proper retards.

Anyway, $1000 bucks later all is well and I finally have my 2nd card with a picture of me wearing two days stubble and messed up hair from wearing a baseball cap. Can't wait to try and pass customs this Xmas on my trip back over the pond.

Apart from that, the process went ok.

Spiff::lol

Offline B3YT

• Silver Member
AH in british news.
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2007, 03:20:00 PM »
one yank asked if i had ever heard of new mexico . when i said i had (aswell as saying that it was were the manhatten project wa tested ) he said that most college "grads"  in the US never a) know where new mexico is (or  that it existed) and b) would reply "whay the **** in hell was the manhatten project dawg..*insert gangsta type pose*

just thought it was funny as i'm 25
As the cleaners say :"once more unto the bleach"

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
AH in british news.
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2007, 04:15:58 PM »
Originally posted by Tilt
see how Scots "repeat" them selves.............:rofl

however I must admit (to Macleod) that the Kyle of Lochalsh and its environs are not only pretty but on a good day some of the best biking territory in the world...............

Howd you know? You been there before? You familiar with it? Im quite shocked that youve heard of my sleepy little village
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline wooley

• Copper Member
AH in british news.
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2007, 06:23:33 PM »
Originally posted by Xargos

My mistake - I must have missed the 'W' key. :noid :noid

Only joking ;)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 06:25:50 PM by wooley »

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
AH in british news.
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2007, 08:36:59 AM »
Originally posted by Xargos

do americans see 'yank' as derogitory? over here it's a playful friendly word...

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
AH in british news.
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2007, 03:18:57 PM »
Originally posted by wooley

It's not the UK -- it's that a large number of Americans can't point out things like Florida, Italy, Australia, Japan, Russia, India, etc. either on an unlabelled map.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
AH in british news.
« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2007, 03:31:12 PM »
Originally posted by Major Biggles
do americans see 'yank' as derogitory? over here it's a playful friendly word...

Americans are mostly fine with being called "Yanks" by those from other countries, especially the British and Australians.  A person in the US, though, might call a person from the northern states (or more specifically, the states on the side of the Union in the US Civil War) a "Yankee" (as opposed to the Confederates of the southern states).  In the US, northerners and southerners occasionally rib each other over this demarkation between the north and the south that stretches back to the Civil War, so my guess is that the people saying things like, "Who do ya'll keep calling Yanks?" are from the south and poking some fun at this.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
AH in british news.
« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2007, 03:34:16 PM »
Regarding accents, here is an amusing site that seems quite good (based on about 10 simple questions, based on things like "Do 'cot' and 'caught' sound the same to you?") picking out where you are from in the US and classifying your accent.

http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have

It would be funny to see if someone from the UK took it where it thinks you are from in the US.

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
AH in british news.
« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2007, 05:18:04 PM »
says i'm from the north east. lol, i can't see myself as a new yorker :lol

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC