Author Topic: OK this multi-arena crap has gotta go  (Read 16665 times)

Offline Hades55

• Nickel Member
OK this multi-arena crap has gotta go
« Reply #375 on: June 12, 2007, 12:51:07 PM »
i try to log in orange, limit is 120, 122 players, me out...

i go to blue, empty with 70 players.

someone is killing ah and i hope he see it fast.

When a arena with 122 ( near empty ) players dont accept you,

something is very wrong.

Offline Hawco

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #376 on: June 12, 2007, 01:08:07 PM »
I'd go for losing the rank system and the name in lights " XYZ landed 40 kills in a D3A"
That would clear up a lot of the milk running and score whoring,
Lets face it the above is not improtant to about 99.9% of us as we all like to fly and have a laugh and that's it.
With nothing to manipulate the Arenas would be fun for all and you wouldn't have to worry about to much game imbalance as people would have no incentive to follow the low ENY.
Or we could Just have 2 sides and be done with the 3rd one.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 01:10:50 PM by Hawco »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 12, 2007, 01:59:21 PM »
Originally posted by Hawco

Lets face it the above is not improtant to about 99.9% of us as we all like to fly and have a laugh and that's it.

I'm amazed how people come up with those numbers. What's your data base for that kind of accurate knowledge? ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #378 on: June 12, 2007, 02:15:57 PM »
i go to blue, empty with 70 players.

Scratching my head at that one... empty is, well, empty.  A jar with 70 pennies in it isn't empty, and an arena with 70 players isn't either.

Hawco, I believe that many more people claim to be unaffected by rank, score and "names in lights" than actually is the case.  And even if many actually aren't, scoring is a part that people expect from games.  Most people wouldn't understand a game that you couldn't "win".  

And if you ignore it completely, it's like it doesn't exist, no?

Myself, I ignore everything but K/D and the killed/killed in tallies - but that's just me.  And taking away score, rank, tallies wouldn't change how I fly one iota.  I'd still avoid engagements I don't think I can win, and take fewer risks than most players. I get a thrill out of landing sorties even if I get no kills - whereas a 16 kill sortie where I die still bums me out.   I can't feel like this is a simulation if I don't do everything in my power to RTB.

And removing the scoring systems would simply cause me to keep my own log book of kills & deaths, and grumble about how stupid is was that the system doesn't track and report it for me.

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #379 on: June 12, 2007, 03:05:10 PM »
Originally posted by Hawco
I'd go for losing the rank system and the name in lights " XYZ landed 40 kills in a D3A"
That would clear up a lot of the milk running and score whoring,

I think your figure is off Hawco or reversed is more like it.99.9% of them want thier wittle name up in lights, hence why they run away, wait for someone else to engage, or generally wait until they actually have a very good chance of getting a kill.A few of us make up the .1% that don't care about any of that crap.

Offline Casper1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #380 on: June 12, 2007, 03:11:01 PM »
SHawk - well put.  I agree with your points.

I really think the arena capping/separation solution is not working out as intended.  If it is solving the problem as intended, well I am not sure I understand the criteria for solving is.  

The horde mentality is as bad as it was before.  Milkrunning is just as bad; I find myself doing it more often now than I used to when I can't fly with my boys in a capped arena.  What we have is a solution which has fixed nothign but has made the game much more annoying given the statements made in SHawks post.  

I wish I had a better solution, but I don't.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #381 on: June 12, 2007, 03:29:06 PM »
Originally posted by Casper1
SHawk - well put.  I agree with your points.

I really think the arena capping/separation solution is not working out as intended.  If it is solving the problem as intended, well I am not sure I understand the criteria for solving is.  

The horde mentality is as bad as it was before.  Milkrunning is just as bad; I find myself doing it more often now than I used to when I can't fly with my boys in a capped arena.  What we have is a solution which has fixed nothign but has made the game much more annoying given the statements made in SHawks post.  

I wish I had a better solution, but I don't.

Solved nothing, but did create a bunch more problems.

Hoards - As bad as ever
Milkrunning - Rampant
1 big slum - Now 4 smaller slums

Like others, I can't come up with anything else, nothing works.

Might be time to bite the bullet and just say, OK it isn't working, but it is piddling lots of people off, lets go back to how it was.
Or at least do something about the caps, the current format is not working.

Funnily enough most of the problems were predicted just after the split happened.

Wasn't one of the hopes that squads make specific arenas their home?
Well that doesn't help either now.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #382 on: June 12, 2007, 03:38:33 PM »
Originally posted by Sweet2th
I think your figure is off Hawco or reversed is more like it.99.9% of them want thier wittle name up in lights, hence why they run away, wait for someone else to engage, or generally wait until they actually have a very good chance of getting a kill.A few of us make up the .1% that don't care about any of that crap.

Yep, you're partly right anyway.  I like when I get my name in lights.  It doesn't matter if I go a night or two without it but when it happens I like it and I bet most players do.  I can just about guarantee most of the noobs do and strive for it.

The part your probably wrong about is running away in order to get your name in lights.  Running, cherry-picking, etc. are more signs of someone trying to drive up rank/score than get their name in lights.  I like to do that too (raise my rank/score).

As to both of these, some players actually do it the hard way (i.e. fighting).  That's what I do but I've never been much higher than 400th in a fighter before nor much higher than 50th overall.  If I can get there flying and fighting then great but, for the most part, I'm not going to become a weenie to do so (but then again no one's ever accused me of "flying smart").

One last thing; are you suggesting all of those large furballs I see represent only 0.1% of all players?  You know, the ones who don't run away, wait for someone else to engage or wait until they have a very good chance at a kill.  Since those furballs make up a large percentage of the Dar Bar where's the other 99.9%?  NOE?  The "other" arena?  Waiting in the tower for a "good" chance at a kill?  Please explain.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #383 on: June 12, 2007, 03:43:48 PM »
1 big slum - Now 4 smaller slums

No way the EW and MW can compare to the "slumfest" of the 2 LW arenas. Yes they have their moments, but no where near even a good night in the LW arenas.

Might be time to bite the bullet and just say, OK it isn't working, but it is piddling lots of people off, lets go back to how it was.

"back to how is was" ... was piddling lots of people off too ... and I would venture to say that the piddling was worse then it is now. With that, HT has to pick the lesser of two evils ... guess which one he is going to pick ? I don't think that HT will ever go back to "what it was" ... he will move forward with different changes, but I don't think he will ever go "back".

Funnily enough most of the problems were predicted just after the split happened.

You don't have to be Karnac or a rocket scientist to have figured that one out ... any change that I have seen take place in AH in the last 5 years has always been met with "outrage" in some form or another.

"I told ya so" ... is not gonna work here.

Wasn't one of the hopes that squads make specific arenas their home?
Well that doesn't help either now.

I don't ever recall that being one of the points that Pyro published in the reason as to the "split arenas" ... I do however remember that being discussed by BBS posters in a thread and they were thinking that that may be an outcome of the splitting ... but nothing official from HTC.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
« Reply #384 on: June 12, 2007, 03:57:35 PM »
agree's with slap shot.  the old way was worse imho.  Though squads did not seem to find homes in various arena's never seemed to materialize.....though i hear tell from the bb that some enjoy milk running arena's, i remember that whole discussion as something brought about by speculation from the community.

though everyone entitled to opinion, i don't see the correlation.  there was milk running before, now rampant?...not a new problem, always been milking.  maybe a bit easier to do now, but if you are concerned about score, you have the same opportunities as everyone else to get that score up there.

hoardes bad as ever?  not a new problem.... solutions as to having bases only allowed to be taken in some type of order didn't pan out.  limiting country size per arena i'm sure would be met with the same old same old.

as far as slum, there are good people and bad, with smaller arena's the bad are just more spread out, therefore i guess less of a chance to run into these idiots.  Ch. 200 optional, and you don't have to listen to them.  I've personally found less idiots, and had a chance to meet more people with these smaller arena's....my experience, maybe others have had different.

basically it doesn't matter what HT does.  People want everything to be exactly the way they want it (fine), but won't make any compromises, leading to an impossible situation. Make a change, hopefully moving the game in the direction he wants.....makes people who like the old way mad.  Change the game back, makes people mad.  I am someone who believes that if you make a change, and nothing is horribly wrong, you should stay the course for awhile.....if you get more people, and more people are staying, more people are happy, then it is the right one.  Sadly the people who don't like it will be filtered out.  though happy people replace.

and for the prophecy, i don't think it's fair for the people who predict problems to rule on those predictions in the future, just a bit biased.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 04:01:01 PM by pluck »
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #385 on: June 12, 2007, 05:25:15 PM »
and i pretty much disagree with slapshots assessment... Kev367 is spot on.
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #386 on: June 12, 2007, 06:22:43 PM »
I've been playing for a number of years now, and in my observations I have noticed: No matter what the game entails, people aren't happy with one thing or another. Hoarding, porking, hoing, score padding, Eny, capped arenas, vulching, etc. etc.
My solutions are welcome for anyone else to use.

1. I could care less about rank (some claim the same, but are always in the top 5).
2. If I find an arena that's capped, I go to another, or wait till I can get in.

3. I get ho'd, I try to avoid it, but sometimes I do have to grab another cartoon plane.
4.I try to defend a base that's get hoarded, porked, or vulched. When it gets to bad there, I go to another field.

5. Score padding- I could not care less, Why let something like that get you hemmorhoids flared up? Let'em have fun.
6. If I don't like the way things are working on a particular night, I log off.

Remember, it's a GAME. If it's affecting you to the point of being pissed off, and not having fun, then it's time for a break.
BTW, CT out in 2 weeks                                         Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #387 on: June 13, 2007, 06:15:51 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
LaPaul: I tend not to respond to whiners and people who do not even have there facts straight. But since I was in a good mood today, I made an exception for you.

:rofl :rofl :rofl :aok
  Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #388 on: June 13, 2007, 06:34:56 PM »
to those of you who feel "its not working"

piss off
this is by far the greatest game ever made, period.

no its not perfect, but nothing is, at least not in this world.

so again  i say to you, piss off,  find a new game to ***** about.

once you leave there will be so much less whinning going on. and the ones who injoy this game can.

even if we dont like some aspects of the game{or more likely the way people play} we deal, we dont whine, or *****, we injoy it.

Offline kennyhayes

• Nickel Member
« Reply #389 on: June 13, 2007, 08:15:07 PM »
2 sides hhhhmm would be un fair
look at country number differance

(SORRY FOR BAD SPELLING)