Author Topic: PLEASE buy a generator!  (Read 2835 times)

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2007, 07:51:01 PM »
I have a hard time believing they host the game servers and website locally at the office.

Why they wouldn't use a normal data center is beyond me.
"strafing"

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2007, 09:10:52 PM »
from my understanding and correct me if I'm wrong the game runs on a remote host and the boards run through the office in grapevine.  

We've had several weeks of severe thunderstorms one right after another in this area.  The last one must have caused power outages at both places.

All things considered I was busy enough today that it barely registered.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline DaddyAck

• Silver Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2007, 09:35:13 PM »
While I was disapointed at teh outage, it was not really a bad thing. I played with my daughter and hung out with my lovely wife (even after the years spent together she still makes my knees weak) and just before work, I even continued working on my model p38J that I am building (it comes with decals for a metalic skinned bird, I am woring on making it Olive Drab).  So yeah, while I do greatly love this game, it in no way is a substitute for the finer things in life (spending time with the fore mentioned wife and youngins, and being a family guy in general) :aok

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2007, 09:44:55 PM »
Have no kids, live alone, it was a rainy day off and planned to waste it flying.

Oh well, just plugged in Medieval II: Total War and went a-conquering for a few hours.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2007, 10:20:37 PM »
Tool Shedders hit the power station just to tick off the furballers....

:noid

Regards,

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2007, 10:28:12 PM »
Originally posted by MWL
Tool Shedders hit the power station just to tick off the furballers....
:noid
Regards,

I've been found out!!!
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Platano

• Silver Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2007, 12:21:47 AM »
HTC should move to NYC :D :aok :D

Then this sorta thing wouldnt happen :D
Army of Muppets

Fly Luftwaffe.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2007, 01:17:02 AM »
I just logged into Call of Duty and had fun pwning the Bolsheviks.

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2007, 04:26:33 AM »
Originally posted by Platano
HTC should move to NYC :D :aok :D

Then this sorta thing wouldnt happen :D

Wasnt there a huge power outage for on the east coast for like a week a few years back. A week w/o AH, I think alot of people will have mental breakdowns.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2007, 05:01:02 AM »
I had a wonderful day. Took the family sailing and even took a dip in the ocean (brrrr)

Thx mr. blackout for giving me a day IRL :)

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2007, 05:03:27 AM »
Originally posted by ROC
Hmm, power outage and all HT needs to do is buy a generator to solve the problem?  What about everything downstream from them Also taken out :D

Guys, the power went out in a region, no extreme measures need to be taken.  And Answering Machines need power too!

:rofl
Telephone lines do not normally go down in a power outage. So yes, a small automatic transfer generator powered by natural gas to avoid refueling problems, coupled with a UPS would keep the server up and running.

Then the only thing that would bring the system down is if the telephone lines went down or the gas line ruptured.

And as a side benefit, the excess power from the generator could power the refrigerator and keep the beer cold. ;)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 05:37:20 AM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2007, 05:17:58 AM »
Who  want to try AH with a server plugged on a 56k modem ?

not me :)

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2007, 05:26:43 AM »
Originally posted by straffo
Who  want to try AH with a server plugged on a 56k modem ?

not me :)
I don't think the server is on that kind of telephone line. :lol
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2007, 05:50:21 AM »
You cannot just slap in a generator into a commercial property.  There are zoning restrictions which have to be met (a concrete slab is required, along with a fenced area to hide it, just for starters) and we do not own the building.  Just FYI.

The weather has been unusually active this last week.  We usually get hit with this once a year.  Looks like we have a couple more days to weather before returning to the normal Texas weather patterns.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Platano

• Silver Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2007, 05:52:09 AM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
You cannot just slap in a generator into a commercial property.  There are zoning restrictions which have to be met (a concrete slab is required, along with a fenced area to hide it, just for starters) and we do not own the building.  Just FYI.

The weather has been unusually active this last week.  We usually get hit with this once a year.  Looks like we have a couple more days to weather before returning to the normal Texas weather patterns.

Thread pwned by skuzzy :lol
Army of Muppets

Fly Luftwaffe.