Author Topic: AH in british news.  (Read 3755 times)

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
AH in british news.
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2007, 05:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brooke
Regarding accents, here is an amusing site that seems quite good (based on about 10 simple questions, based on things like "Do 'cot' and 'caught' sound the same to you?") picking out where you are from in the US and classifying your accent.

http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have

It would be funny to see if someone from the UK took it where it thinks you are from in the US.

Your Result: The Northeast

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

It pinned me right on, with a full red bar to boot. The one thing that's missing from this is a tonal standpoint. As I pay close attention to pronunciation, people say I have a "very nasal" voice, and often ask if I'm from Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc... However, the way I form the words is distinctly Northeastern (Mary, Merry, and Marry being the key on this particular quiz).

I guess it comes from where I grew up, and the people I spent time with. Most of them were from New England and the upper Midwest (many from Michigan), and nobody ever even thinks that I'm from any part of the South, Southwest, or even California. And wouldn't you know it, I'm from Texas.

Port Aransas, the North of the South. If any of you guys ever go there, you'll understand. :D

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
AH in british news.
« Reply #106 on: June 12, 2007, 09:52:37 AM »
quiz results for a Brit who has just about lost all trace of his Walsall accent to be replaced by poorly vocalised middle England mumble.

So if I came from the states I apparantly would be from

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.
Ludere Vincere

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
AH in british news.
« Reply #107 on: June 12, 2007, 08:04:14 PM »
When I hear a NY accent I can't fail to notice a strong Irish influence.

Scots say "aboot" much like the Canadians.... which is about the only way I can differentiate Americans from Canadians.  You sound very similar on the whole.  Scottish influence prevailing in Canada.

Aussies sound strongly influenced from Essex / Surrey / London areas as do the Kiwi's but the Kiwi is a softer accent...they do sound very similar.

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
AH in british news.
« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2007, 09:21:41 PM »
Just what we need.....An influx of bananas!!

:eek:
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
AH in british news.
« Reply #109 on: June 13, 2007, 06:16:01 AM »
Originally posted by SEraider
Just what we need.....An influx of bananas!!

:eek:

Tissues any one ?  :D