Author Topic: Check out the debris from this HO shot  (Read 2375 times)

Offline halcyon

• Copper Member
Check out the debris from this HO shot
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 02:45:23 AM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
Again, for the umpteenth time.  Comparing a HO shot in real combat to a HO shot in AH doesn't work as in real combat the risk was real and in AH the risk is not there....Your life is on the line and you have no alternative, then HO away, but since no one dies and planes are free in AH, HOing is a cheep way to avoid a fight.

If their life was on the line and they needed to HO to maximize the chance of ending the fight quickly, how is this considered not applicable to the game?

Not everyone plays the game the same. I like to play objectively, that is taking territory. If I'm covering, say a goon, and I'm going H2H, I'll HO if I think I can down the other guy first rather then letting him past and putting the goon (or whoever) in danger.
Your definition of risk can have many meanings for different people.

Besides, what if someone wanted to roleplay or take the sorties seriously.

Originally posted by Guppy35

The second we actually start dying in here, then you can justify a HO.  Until then, it won't work.

That being said, if you want to HO, go ahead.  I'm not going to because I'm not that desperate for a kill.  I'd rather try and shoot em in the back after working at it a bit.

Sure I can justify a HO:

- you're gang banged
- protecting mission/objective assets (goons/bombers/etc)
- distraction method (from say 1.5k out)

It's not about rank for me, or getting a score off of a kill.
It's making sure the other guy isn't in the air anymore. I'll do whatever it takes to get that done.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 03:01:30 AM »
Originally posted by halcyon
If their life was on the line and they needed to HO to maximize the chance of ending the fight quickly, how is this considered not applicable to the game?

Not everyone plays the game the same. I like to play objectively, that is taking territory. If I'm covering, say a goon, and I'm going H2H, I'll HO if I think I can down the other guy first rather then letting him past and putting the goon (or whoever) in danger.
Your definition of risk can have many meanings for different people.

Besides, what if someone wanted to roleplay or take the sorties seriously.

Sure I can justify a HO:

- you're gang banged
- protecting mission/objective assets (goons/bombers/etc)
- distraction method (from say 1.5k out)

It's not about rank for me, or getting a score off of a kill.
It's making sure the other guy isn't in the air anymore. I'll do whatever it takes to get that done.

And if that's your choice in how you play it, then go for it.

Just don't try and connect real combat and real risk with anything we do in here, cause there is no risk and this most definately isn't real:)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2007, 05:36:01 AM »
You mean this isn't real?

Jokes aside, you know when you are engaging with a noob... they fly straight at you and start firing from 1k out. When I see that, I only think of one thing; 'Fresh Meat'.

Don't be 'Fresh Meat'.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline ColKLink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2007, 09:29:21 AM »
I drive a 110 alot,  I will fire my 30 mm at any dummy wanting to ho my 110, no matter 1st pass, 2nd pass or 3rd, the 110's strong suit is the ho .If my 110 wins a ho,  90% of the time, who's the dummy?:confused:
Live each day like it's your last, and one day, you will be right.---- rush 2112,--->" and the sheep shall inherit the earth"......

Offline NateWolf

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2007, 10:08:23 AM »
I do what I gotta do to stay alive. If a HO will keep me alive, I'll do it.

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2007, 12:50:46 PM »
If I die by a HO it's my fault, I may get upset about it but in reality it's more me being annoyed with myself for letting it happen.
As for using the HO myself, if I'm outnumbered I would HO my mother, but not in a 1v1 situation. I say that but just a few days ago "it was me I HO'd ya", I'd been AFK sat down and saw this badguy heading right at me wasn't sure what had happened prior to this so just fired away, well he fired after me so it was MY ho and I died hoping it would show up on his screen as "You have shot down Silat"  not me xbrit.
If anyone wants to HO that's fine by me it's your game you decide what you want to do, I don't think any better or worse of a guy that does or doesn't.

Offline Angry Samoan

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by halcyon
So Jefferson DeBlanc must have been a "skill-less dweeb" because he shot at the Oscar on the first head on pass...right?

And the issue is that in the game, if you do it at all you're automatically branded a dweeb, even though, as the video shows up there, it was a widely used combat tactic in the Pacific and Europe Theatres.

Jefferson was a skilless dweeb.
It was his very first enemy engagement.

If he didnt get the overshot on the 5th kill, He would have extended for another HO !!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 09:44:19 PM by Angry Samoan »

Offline Warhead

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2007, 02:45:14 AM »
do what i do daubie..turn off tracers..if they fire first evade.and take a snapshot same instant..catches alot of ho dweebs by surprise and gets you into acm moves at the same time

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2007, 03:34:21 AM »
Daubie, remember, it takes to two to have a HO. If you see someone setting up a HO against you, just deny him the shot, don't fly straight at him and, most of the times, you'll end up in a better position for the following fight. Do what Engine said, go practicing it with him (or with me, if you want... but I think I'm a bad teacher ;) ).
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline phookat

• Nickel Member
Re: HO'ing
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2007, 05:53:22 PM »
One on one, a HO is the just about the worst move you can make short of flying straight and level.  Dive under him and pull around instead.  If the other guy goes for the HO, he's set himself up to lose.

Offline Dream Child

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2007, 09:44:01 PM »
Originally posted by Angry Samoan
Jefferson was a skilless dweeb.
It was his very first enemy engagement.

If he didnt get the overshot on the 5th kill, He would have extended for another HO !!

I think this is funny. An imaginary ace looks at the real thing and claims "skilless dweeb".

Offline phookat

• Nickel Member
Re: HO'ing
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2007, 11:34:52 PM »
Originally posted by Daubie
I love it.

Put these guys (whiners in here) in real combat and see what happens.  You do what you gotta' do to survive.  You guys are real heroes in cartoon airplanes.  

So, I dumbly play along in here (Arenas) with 12th Century Knight chivalry ethics and I hold off not firing on the HO on the 1st pass.  Sucker bait!  All you guys whine about it, but everytime I withold fire, I'm dead.

Well, two things.  First, as Engine pointed out above, HOs are usually very easy to avoid (especially 1v1 on first merge), and in fact you can gain a significant advantage in the engagement easily by avoiding the HO.  So, avoid HO and get easy advantage...sounds like a no-brainer to me.  Honestly I don't see why anyone even tries for the HO.  But don't take it as a whine, personally I'm quite happy if you HO, usually makes it easier for me to kill you. :)

Second, on the historical "you do what you gotta do" thing.  Did RL pilots usually go for the HO, if given the chance?  I'm not talking about a deflection shot, I mean a straight HO where the other guy has just as much chance as you in a real game of chicken.  Seems to me, just as a survival thing, that in general a real pilot would not go for that.

Offline Angry Samoan

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2007, 09:35:02 AM »
Originally posted by Dream Child
I think this is funny. An imaginary ace looks at the real thing and claims "skilless dweeb".

Try the decaf.

Sorry if my humor makes you uptight.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 09:39:01 AM by Angry Samoan »

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2007, 10:22:41 AM »
Can Angry have his bait back before you swallow it !!

Offline Angry Samoan

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2007, 08:52:22 PM »
:rofl :lol :rolleyes: