Author Topic: Ramming Bombers  (Read 1935 times)

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Ramming Bombers
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2007, 09:09:21 AM »
I'd always like to see more debris from a downed plane instead of the *poof* explosion.  Anyways, I've rammed a few bombers in my day.  All unintentionally.  Usually happen when my closure rate is much more than I anticipated and when I attempt to pull or break away from the attack run I collide.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Acidrain

• Copper Member
Ramming Bombers
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2007, 09:18:19 AM »
The collision modeling in this game is trash IMO...and when attacking Bombers  fast and at steep angles(the only smart way to do it)  it gets even more ridiculous. you wind up colliding when your screen shows you clear of the bombers or the debris you shear off them. i enjoy stalking bombers in a 262, but losing 150+ perks to game bugginess is no fun so ive given up on it  for now.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
Ramming Bombers
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2007, 09:22:43 AM »
Originally posted by Acidrain
The collision modeling in this game is trash IMO...you wind up colliding when your screen shows you clear of the bombers or the debris you shear off them

If you Front End shows that you missed the bombers, then you won't ever take damage from a collision.

Ever.

Not once.

Won't happen.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Ramming Bombers
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2007, 09:28:26 AM »
Originally posted by Acidrain
you wind up colliding when your screen shows you clear of the bombers or the debris you shear off them. i enjoy stalking bombers in a 262, but losing 150+ perks to game bugginess is no fun so ive given up on it  for now.

What WMLute said.

And I might add that debris does no damage at all. It just gives a fancy BANG. That's all.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline MstWntd

• Copper Member
Ramming Bombers
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2007, 09:49:28 AM »
It is all due to internet connection...

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Ramming Bombers
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2007, 11:27:34 AM »
And I might add that people colliding with you does no damage to you, only to them.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Engine

• Silver Member
Ramming Bombers
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2007, 11:30:23 AM »
A few years back I was in an la5, and found 3 groups of B17s on the deck. I remember flying through each formation, ramming as I went, and downing half of them with no damage. Good times.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Ramming Bombers
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2007, 11:39:50 AM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
And I might add that people colliding with you does no damage to you, only to them.

Negative, it may be planned to work this way but for a lot of us we know it doesn't.  I know I've been rammed from behind in both fighters and bombers and have suffered structural damage.  Of course it doesn't happen all that often and I'd have to film every single flight to record it.  It'd be interesting if someone did a test in the DA on this.  But you'd have to set several variables - mainly ping related, dial up or high speed, 50ms ping to 250ms pings and see what the outcome is.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Ramming Bombers
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2007, 12:04:10 PM »
Originally posted by Fulmar
Negative, it may be planned to work this way but for a lot of us we know it doesn't.  I know I've been rammed from behind in both fighters and bombers and have suffered structural damage.  Of course it doesn't happen all that often and I'd have to film every single flight to record it.  It'd be interesting if someone did a test in the DA on this.  But you'd have to set several variables - mainly ping related, dial up or high speed, 50ms ping to 250ms pings and see what the outcome is.

^

This is absolutely not true.

If the collision is on their FE only ("XXX has collided with you"), only they take damage.
If the collision is on your FE only ("You have collided") , only you take damage.
If the collision happens on both FE's (you get both the above messages), both take damage from it.

If you only get the "XXX has collided with you" message and you take damage, you just have been shot.

And yes, it was tested several times in the DA.

And no, type of connection and amount of lag has no influence on the result of a collision.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
Ramming Bombers
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2007, 12:08:24 PM »
Originally posted by Fulmar
The key is that if a collision happens on your front end, you take damage. The same goes for the other guy - if a collision happens on his front end, he takes damage. Only if a collision happens on both[/U] front ends do both planes take damage. That is the only way it can work because of the way the internet works. How Lag Affects Aces High.

Regards,

Hammer
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Ramming Bombers
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2007, 12:24:19 PM »
I hit them alot. Usually because of the warp. Thats why I dont attack them much.

~AoM~

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
Ramming Bombers
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2007, 02:54:50 PM »
Originally posted by WMLute
If you Front End shows that you missed the bombers, then you won't ever take damage from a collision.

Ever.

Not once.

Won't happen.

Lute, I have missed bombers visibly numerous times and got a collision message as well as having people ram me from my 6 and it said I collided.

You can insist it doesnt happen but you'll still be just as wrong.
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Platano

• Silver Member
Ramming Bombers
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2007, 03:14:06 PM »
[TwilightZoneMusic]

I give up!

Tryna argue and explain how collision model works is like trying to explain that there is or isnt Extraterrestial life....

Its a mystery :(  [/TwilightZoneMusic]
Army of Muppets

Fly Luftwaffe.

Offline Platano

• Silver Member
Ramming Bombers
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2007, 03:14:57 PM »
[TwilightZoneMusic]

I give up!

Tryna argue and explain how collision model works is like trying to explain that there is or isnt Extraterrestial life....

Its a mystery :(  [./TwilightZoneMusic]
Army of Muppets

Fly Luftwaffe.

Offline Platano

• Silver Member
Ramming Bombers
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2007, 03:14:57 PM »
[TwilightZoneMusic]
I give up!

Its a mystery :( [/TwilightZoneMusic]

:D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 03:17:06 PM by Platano »
Army of Muppets

Fly Luftwaffe.