Author Topic: Strafing the chute...in real life and in game  (Read 2445 times)

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Strafing the chute...in real life and in game
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2007, 10:11:07 AM »
I have to wonder if the guy was out of ammo, or just enjoyed the work. Either way, that's some pretty serious hate.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2007, 10:18:40 AM »
I guess what I hadn't considered before posting this is that the bailed pilot still has the capacity to wreak havoc on the ground.  I always sorta wondered by the pilot has a handgun after he bails.

It never, ever would have occurred to me to walk around and look for things to shoot after I bailed, but there it is I guess.

Well, I'll be .esquealing from now on.  No chute kills for you!

But if you get shot down by Toonces3, no worry about getting killed in your chute- I'll buzz by you and throw you a wave.
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2007, 10:21:28 AM »
IF I was ever in a shoot (no chance)

AND you flew by and waved

I'd shoot at you w/ my .45

:)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2007, 10:27:41 AM »
No way you'll hit me in my super speedy P51D!
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2007, 10:30:38 AM »
No way I'll ever be in a chute.  ;)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2007, 10:32:50 AM »
People open chutes?  Whenever I bail I immediately hit .ef.  Why bother with a chute at all?

I lied.  Every once in a while if I'm near a friendly town under attack I might pop the chute and run to the maproom to kill troops or if I'm near a de-acked enemy airfield I'll open it and go shoot uppers in the head at the end of the runway with my .45 (love that).

As to shooting them?  Waste of ammo.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2007, 10:36:06 AM »
You have pointed out a problem in something I've written.

What I should have said is you'll never see me hit enter three times in succession (bail).

I don't bail, thus no chute and no .ef.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2007, 10:39:31 AM »
Only bails I'll get are in buffs.   Funny how a thread this lame is already in it's 3rd page.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2007, 10:49:22 AM »
Alright, maybe it's a lame thread.

I haven't been playing this game for years like some of you, so perhaps my approach will change.  But for now, the game seems sort of pointless if I don't care if I live or die.

What I mean, is that if I'm going to fly into suicide missions, ride the plane into the ground every sortie, etc, then any sense of...immersion for lack of a better word...is sort of gone.  If I care if my virtual cartoon pilot lives, then I'm going to fly smart.  

This is hard to articulate well.  Once I stop caring whether my cartoon pilot lives or dies, then I might as well be playing quake or something.  My enjoyment comes from flying a smart sortie from start to finish, landing safely (hopefully with kills).  But, I've had as much enjoyment from landing with no kills if I fought well and extricated myself from a difficult situation.

So that's why I bail.  I suppose in time this might change, but by that time I'll probably just find a different game to play.

See ya,
Toonces

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2007, 11:00:40 AM »
The only way to guarantee your survival is to kill all the bad guys. You should be trying to make the other guy use his emergency exit procedure, not perfecting yours. ;)
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Daubie

• Copper Member
Top-of-Thread Post
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2007, 11:32:45 AM »
Hi,

The guy here, "pluck," reiterates my feelings, too, though I think he is spoofing and making fun of it.  I see Christian threads in here and I know at least one guy's username refers to him maybe being a pastor and this activity, what this game is, isn't what Christianity is about, not what it is ideally to be.   I have second thoughts about killing cartoon planes, everytime.  But I still do it.  Real life combat, if ordered to kill not cartoons?  Without hesitation, not one second thought, I would do as ordered.

I don't shoot chutes.  It is bad sportsmanship.  

I got me a few honest kills this tour compared to my previous attempts.  Once I know I got a guy, I don't chase him down, either.  I also do not deliberately try to get credit for another guy's kill.  And if I see a 1-on-1 duel going on, I don't butt in unless I'm asked.  There is supposedly a chivalry ethic going on here as to the "Air Warrior" crowd and I try to live within that code of conduct.  A lot of guys here do not.  There is definitely an air of mean spiritedness in here, MA, especially LW (both), even by some CM staffers, or might I say especially (LOL!).

But war is war, and whatever it takes to win seems to be how it is done here.  Actually, real life combat, there is a code of conduct that is expected and hello to pay if one steps over the line.  I asked my real life military instructors about that, and they basically said USA soldiers are not barbarians.  My WWII Pacific Marine uncle (now dead) would tell you a different story, though.

Concerning HO's?  HO's to me are not unlike a 12th century robust joust.  People whine about it, but what is wrong with a head-on shot?  My experience every time is the guy is intent on ramming.  I now avoid it.  I also avoid the furball stupidity and pretty much try to operate as Kylander talks about in his book.

On my end, me bailing?  Clipboard is always ready when I bail.  I have learned to freefall quite a ways down as I hear them coming for a chute vulch.  I pop my chute and END SORTIE immediately.  Surviving is better than dying as I usually keep my perk points, though reduced compared to a proper RTB.  To "hot place down there" with score, but perk points come in handy and I want to keep what I have earned.

This game is played by a lot of different types of mentalities and personalities.  It is about winning.  I think, some, it is about whinning.  Whatever works for you, do, as long as you are not violating TOS via HTC.

A psychology major could have fun with what goes on in here and do a master's thesis.

Fun game.  And points don't matter...

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2007, 11:44:18 AM »
If I see a chute and can spare the ammo I shoot it. If I have 303 guns, I save the ammo just for this purpose.

You don't want to be shot in the silk? Either sky dive, or ride your wreck into the ground like a man!

I wish we could shoot the 0.45 while sky diving. Now that would be fun: two pilots bail out and have a free-fall shoot out :) Or even better: Enemy troops are on th ground heading to the map room - you bail out above them and come screaming down, pistol drawn and firing :D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 11:46:44 AM by bozon »
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2007, 01:09:40 PM »
Originally posted by toonces3
Alright, maybe it's a lame thread.

I haven't been playing this game for years like some of you, so perhaps my approach will change.  But for now, the game seems sort of pointless if I don't care if I live or die.

You should care.  But not to the point were you dont enter a fight because you may die.  You should care but only until it is over.  When you lose, just get a new plane.  Poping your chute open only gets you a few points.  You have lost the fight and you are alive because you got lucky.  Nothing to do with you.  What these people are asking for is a score reward for being able to hit enter 3 times.  Thats fine, but don't ask me not to shoot if you know how to do the enter thingie but not the .ef.

There is some honor in fighting in a game.  Non in running, diching, bailing and cring dont shoot.  Don't forget, you entered the fight with the intend of killing the other guy.  Now you expect him to let you go?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2007, 01:38:33 PM »
If you're asking me, then the answer is 'no'.

I don't expect anyone to 'let me go'.  I expect to get shot down if I'm out of ammo, out of gas, outnumbered, wounded, etc, etc.  Mission management is all about monitoring all of these factors and deciding when it's time to get out of dodge, saving enough ammo, gas, friends for the egress.  Of course, some people will stay till the bitter end, fighting hopelessly outnumbered till their dead from an enemy bullet, or out of gas, or whatever.  Hey, do whatever you want.

For me, only, I prefer to land alive.  Period.  I don't engage voluntarily in odds I know I can't win... eg. if I see 5 enemy below me and I'm all alone, I'm not going to go down there and mix it up.  I try to egress when my situation is such that to stay longer is going to get my cartoon life killed.

This is why I bail from my plane.  I'm not going to spend all this effort trying to fly in some sort of realistic manner and then ride the plane into the ground to be a man.  I'm going to try to get to friendly territory, bail, and then take up a new plane.

Now, if I am chasing an enemy, I am going to keep shooting at you until you are dead.  If I see you bail, I won't shoot you in your chute because it's not my goal to kill your virtual pilot, it's to kill your plane.  If, by shooting you in the canopy I can kill you faster, so much the better.  But once you're out of the plane, I got my kill and I could care less about denying you your virtual life.  That's just me.

Having said that, I always wondered why folks would shoot at a chute.  I see why now.  No worries.  But based on the responses I've seen here, I'll be .esquealing immediately after I bail.  I can live with that.

I got the answers I was looking for.

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2007, 02:33:38 PM »
Originally posted by Knegel
i only shoot people on the chute, if they ask for, otherwise i would feel bad.

That's exactly how I feel.

Except for the part about waiting for them to ask.

And the part about feeling bad.
myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling