Author Topic: IL-2 vs Aces High 2  (Read 2402 times)

Offline Jonny boy 8

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
IL-2 vs Aces High 2
« on: June 26, 2007, 07:53:01 AM »
I have Il-2 and ah2, and i was woundering which game is better, it all started when i was lay in my bed last night and i thought which game is better, IL-2 or AH2? IL-2 has more planes and a little bit better grafics, but AH2 has more maps and a bigger main arena.

p51srule :aok

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
IL-2 vs Aces High 2
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 07:59:35 AM »
Aces High has the bigger furballs.

IL2 has the eye candy.

If your a furball junkie Aces High is for you.

If you like things a lil more realistic I think I would go with Il2 Online.

My 2c
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline ForrestS

• Nickel Member
      • http://freewebs.com/link850
IL-2 vs Aces High 2
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 09:14:42 AM »
Ive seen IL2 and i want it sooooooooooo bad:cry

I'll get my coon to steal it.

:t MUAHHAAHAHAHA

Offline Target2

• Silver Member
IL-2 vs Aces High 2
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 09:24:58 AM »
That depends on how you define realistic.

I have both, and I prefere AHII. Yes, graphics are better in IL2, but the flying is better in AH. So, it really depends on what you are looking for in the game.

I have gone 1vs1 with the AI set on ace, and beat it every time (takes a while because my gunnery sucks :lol ). Can't do that in AH. Haven't played IL2 on line though.
71 Eagle Squadron

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
IL-2 vs Aces High 2
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 09:30:23 AM »
IL2 has questionable quality control, and they cave in to public "mob rioting" and change the performance of their aircraft and the weaponry based on pressure from the players. It's not realistic in flight model or damage modeling, if you ask me.

Consider IL2 a flight game, but it's not much of a simulation of how the real WW2 planes performed.

AH2 has its own issues, but it has far more fidelity to weapons damage and aircraft capabilities than IL2. It has much more realistic flight modeling (but still not perfect, mind you).

AH is better. Still not perfect (I've got a few gripes of my own about it) but it's the best out there right now.

Offline ForrestS

• Nickel Member
      • http://freewebs.com/link850
IL-2 vs Aces High 2
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 09:50:42 AM »
Ur avatar is creepy

It even scared my coon.

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
IL-2 vs Aces High 2
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 09:52:19 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
but it has far more fidelity to weapons damage
AH has few things better but weapons damage definitely isn't one...

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
IL-2 vs Aces High 2
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 09:57:34 AM »
Originally posted by 2bighorn

I think it is.

Damage modeling on the aircraft no, but weapon damage yes.  They are different.

IL-2 would have us believe WWII aircraft were flying tanks.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
IL-2 vs Aces High 2
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 10:05:36 AM »
Originally posted by Karnak
IL-2 would have us believe WWII aircraft were flying tanks.
Never got that impression. Probably aim related issue...

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
IL-2 vs Aces High 2
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 10:45:02 AM »
the fact that IL2 models the BMG 50 Cal equivalent to a farm yard .22 pretty much ended my relationship with that sim.  Still, a beautiful looking deal.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
IL-2 vs Aces High 2
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 10:56:43 AM »
I tried Il2 and Pac Fighters, and the view system was so frustrating, that the eye candy was irrelevant. I hated those games.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline tailblues

• Zinc Member
IL-2 vs Aces High 2
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 10:57:07 AM »
I'm much fond of AH flight style(things like accelated stall by hard pulling of the stick, etc), but I bought every IL2 series and often fly one. The no.1 reason I fly IL2, is those historical missions/campaigns.  

The feeling of "historical campaign". You can fly eastern front of 1942 cold winter, shooting dive bombers out of the sky in the desperate attempt to save your carrier in the Midway, etc. IL2 is designed to give that historical experience as "Main", (and online play as supplement). But AH is designed to give us "the Arena". Combat and ACM aspect, (IMO) is much detailed in AH.

Ah, I know, I know, we need the "Tour of Duty". :) That, will make AH to compete with IL2.

Offline Avenger8

• Zinc Member
IL-2 vs Aces High 2
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 11:06:01 AM »
If you're interested, IL-2 STURMOVIK™: 1946 is all the games in 1 package.

Offline Platano

• Silver Member
IL-2 vs Aces High 2
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 11:07:49 AM »
Originally posted by 2bighorn

I agree with this..

In RL a single 20mm shell wouldve blown a plane's wing off......not the case here...

HTC has nullified weapons ballistics for gameplay sake.
Army of Muppets

Fly Luftwaffe.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
IL-2 vs Aces High 2
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 11:31:43 AM »
Depends.

People say the FM's different, but frankly the only thing really different is the general depiction of torque characteristics. IL2 planes are pretty docile when it comes to torque, whereas AH2 can be said 'vicious' when compared to IL2.

I find AH2 to be more believeable in that aspect, but the rest of the flight characteristics are comparable. What I can do in a 109 in IL2, I can do in AH and vice versa.

There are some subtle differences in the feel - Both AH2 and IL2 planes handle smoothly, but under harsh maneuvers at extreme low speed maneuvering IL2 planes tend to 'mush' a bit more, whereas AH2 planes react in vicious stalls. In some cases AH2 seems more correct, in other IL2. Under some circumstances AH2 stall behavior seems better, in other IL2... and etc etc.

IL2 uses a bit more complicated general plane management, and some people treat it as if its Microsoft Flightsimulator, but in reality IL2 is nothing more than maybe 2~3 buttons more management than AH2. Basically both games are simplified as it is.

IL2 has botg its strengths and drawbacks in detailed immersion, and this doesn't apply only to the graphics. On the other hand AH2 has its strengths and drawbacks in its simplicty.

Without any prejudice against either I can say both are worthy simulation games, with slightly different approaches to some key issues concerning the simulation aspect.