Author Topic: Bad Hurricane Season or No?  (Read 1668 times)

Offline mentalguy

• Nickel Member
Bad Hurricane Season or No?
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2007, 10:58:12 AM »
Originally posted by Xargos
The Earth will get REAL hot just before the Sun dies, in about five million years from now.

I gotta correct you. But I think you mean billions of years.
PFC. Corey "Mentalguy" Gibson
USMC

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2007, 11:49:10 AM »
Originally posted by Hortlund
Yeah...like not building your house in a hurricane-area.

People choosing to live in hurricane alley are about as smart as people building houses on flood-plains.

Uh Hortlund, have you even looked at the land masses that are affected by hurricanes? You do realize it affects the US from the center of texas (east and west center) around the coast to the East and all the way up past Maine. It also makes an impact for flooding more than a couple states inland from the coast all along the coast. Don't forget the less frequent hurricanes that affect California and even Arizona that come North from the Pacific regions off of the SW coast of Mexico.

That would be a heck of a lot of territory to abandon there don't ya think?
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2007, 11:53:07 AM »
Originally posted by mentalguy
I gotta correct you. But I think you mean billions of years.

Oops, your right.:D
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline wooley

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2007, 12:13:58 PM »
So lets see. We abandon all the areas affected by hurricanes. But why stop there? Let's also abandon all the areas affected by tornadoes - they're pretty nasty as well. Also, those floods are bad news - and those winter ice storms seem a complete nightmare. And lets not forget earthquakes. You'd have to be mental to live in an earthquake zone. Or near a volcano. Or in a brush-fire area.

So that means, as far as I can see, that we're all moving to Nevada. Oh wait - there's no water there.

There's nothing for it - look like we'll need to abandon North America. Last person out turn out the lights will ya.

storch

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2007, 02:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shamus
If you want to force building responsibly in hurricane area's do away with FEMA running in and rebuilding houses and force insurance companies to charge premiums that cover the risk.

I get tired of having my rates jacked by 25-40% up here in the midwest every time Florida gets hit with a hurricane because the industry does not have the stones to put up with all the crying from down south.

shamus
how much are your insurance premiums?  I pay $7600 per year for my home.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2007, 02:59:37 PM »
Originally posted by storch

:O

That seems like alot.

Must be a nice house.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2007, 03:08:07 PM »

What you pay is not relevant, my point is that what ever it is it is not enough to cover the exposure, therefore the rest of the county subsidizes your losses.

I can say that my rates have tripled in the last 7 years.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

storch

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2007, 03:17:34 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
:O

That seems like alot.

Must be a nice house.
5100 or so sq ft in the far northwest corner of dade county the home is average for the community and indicative of the price one pays to live in paradise.  shamus is probably paying $500.

the truth is we who live here pay for our own risks and not the folks who are in other markets with far less risk.  what shamus posted about his premiums going up have nothing to do with hurricanes in florida.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2007, 04:53:47 PM »
See, the problem with this is that people fail to realize that Research is a Business.  No researcher will get any money if they tell everyone that everything will be fine.

All money is funneled to the researchers who scream, "HOLY ****ING ****!  THE WORLD IS GOING TO EXPLODE!  AHHHH!  AAAAAAAGH!"
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2007, 06:26:53 PM »

the truth is we who live here pay for our own risks and not the folks who are in other markets with far less risk.  

Well thats just it storch, you dont. Reinsurers pay the biggest portion in a catastrophic loss and reinsurance rates take a jump nation wide after a large regional shock loss.

Granted the rates go up more in the area of the loss, but the loss is spread nationwide none the less.

You may not like to admit the notion that at times others carry water for you, but that does not  change the facts.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2007, 06:51:04 PM »
We are making up for in Houston with what feels like a month straight of rain.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2007, 07:03:38 PM »
Originally posted by McFarland
Hortlund, that actually sounds sensible. And Nilsen, it isn't me forecast, it's God's. :aok  So it will happen, as for when, well, I think we're getting really close. It's kinda like being on a train pulling into the station at 100 mph, and we just broke the brake lever.
What does Allah have to say?

Offline McFarland

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2007, 01:08:26 AM »
I meself don't beleive in Allah, I'm Christian. But I know that the end of the world is nigh, all the predictions in the Bible are coming true. The Earth is warming (when me papaw was a boy, it actually snowed during the winter here, but not any more), storms and earthquakes in diverse places (tornados in NZ, drought here, flooding in Texas, Asian tsunami, drought out west, hurricanes like crazy one year, almost none the next), very few Christians, Jews who are beginning to beleive in Jesus, talk of peace for years, all nations turning against Israel, the bear shall start the war. It's coming soon, maybe not in me lifetime, or me children's lifetime, maybe not in me grandchildren's or great grandchildren's time, but it's coming soon. "The love shall wax cold", and it sure is. We can only delay it by prayer, but we can't stop it. I feel sorry for those who don't beleive in God, I really do.

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2007, 01:17:09 AM »
Wow...like none of this ever happened before.  :rofl
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline McFarland

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2007, 01:24:09 AM »
Left out a quote: "A bomb that will cook the flesh from the bone before a man can fall." Got it. Used it at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. And on a few atolls.