Author Topic: Homeowner defends property without guns  (Read 2573 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Homeowner defends property without guns
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2007, 10:20:23 AM »
Originally posted by Slash27
People in D.C. don't have the right to bear arms.

They do now as of March 2007:

Divided three-judge D.C. Circuit panel holds that the District of Columbia's gun control laws violate individuals' Second Amendment rights: You can access today's lengthy D.C. Circuit ruling at this link.
According to the majority opinion, "[T]he phrase 'the right of the people,' when read intratextually and in light of Supreme Court precedent, leads us to conclude that the right in question is individual." The majority opinion sums up its holding on this point as follows:

To summarize, we conclude that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to keep and bear arms. That right existed prior to the formation of the new government under the Constitution and was premised on the private use of arms for activities such as hunting and self-defense, the latter being understood as resistance to either private lawlessness or the depredations of a tyrannical government (or a threat from abroad). In addition, the right to keep and bear arms had the important and salutary civic purpose of helping to preserve the citizen militia. The civic purpose was also a political expedient for the Federalists in the First Congress as it served, in part, to placate their Antifederalist opponents. The individual right facilitated militia service by ensuring that citizens would not be barred from keeping the arms they would need when called forth for militia duty. Despite the importance of the Second Amendment's civic purpose, however, the activities it protects are not limited to militia service, nor is an individual's enjoyment of the right contingent upon his or her continued or intermittent enrollment in the militia.
The majority opinion also rejects the argument that the Second Amendment does not apply to the District of Columbia because it is not a State. And the majority opinion concludes, "Section 7-2507.02, like the bar on carrying a pistol within the home, amounts to a complete prohibition on the lawful use of handguns for self-defense. As such, we hold it unconstitutional."
Senior Circuit Judge Laurence H. Silberman wrote the majority opinion, in which Circuit Judge Thomas B. Griffith joined. Circuit Judge Karen LeCraft Henderson dissented.

http://pacer.cadc.uscourts.gov/docs/common/opinions/200703/04-7041a.pdf

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2007, 10:53:13 AM »
quote:Originally posted by Speed55
good thing they weren't drinking schlitz.
Originally posted by Angus
Ehh, do you have the recipee for that?

Take one horse.
Strap on one colostomy bag.......

Offline Sox62

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2007, 11:06:19 AM »
Originally posted by Hortlund
LOL some of you are quite pathetic...

a criminal behaved in a way that I did not expect...the story must be a lie

The police has confirmed the story, thats all you need to know.

They did?They interviewed the guy?

The link doesn't work anymore,but I don't believe a cop taking a police report is a confirmation of anything.It just means he wrote down what they said  happened.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2007, 11:14:57 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
It is "easy enough" for any person to get any gun in any country.  I could get any handgun I wanted in any country that has banned them.

lazs

Here is where you are wrong.
As a local, I'd have a very tough time getting my hands on one. As an outsider, I'd rather put my money you being arrested for the attempt before you had one.
As for money, it would cost you a lot anyway.....
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2007, 11:59:14 AM »
I gotta go with Angus on that too Lazs.

You'd end up approaching an undercover cop long before you'd get your gun of choice.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2007, 12:04:20 PM »
Here is where you are wrong.
As a local, I'd have a very tough time getting my hands on one.  

You don`t know the ropes. You move in the wrong circles. You feel that you are bound by the laws. The criminal who wants one can get one.....no matter where it is at.

As an outsider, I'd rather put my money you being arrested for the attempt before you had one.

Hehe. I`d take that bet myself if I could win a trip to Iceland at the next reset. :)
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2007, 12:06:53 PM »
why are there undercover cops in such a peaceful/ low crime island as Iceland?

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2007, 12:08:58 PM »
Originally posted by 68ROX
However, they do have the right to arm bears.

68ROX

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2007, 12:23:02 PM »
Originally posted by john9001
why are there undercover cops in such a peaceful/ low crime island as Iceland?

I wasn't referring to Iceland...I was referring to my home.

We have crime here....just very very little gun crime.

Lazs would end up getting locked up for 20 years before he got his hands on his gun of choice.  If he wanted to make one...or take whatever was available...then he "might" be able to get his hands on a gun.  He said he could get whatever he wanted...hinting "whenever" he wanted it.

He is wrong on this point.

If you'll pay half his airfare I'll pay the other half and we can try it out.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2007, 12:34:39 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
We have crime here....just very very little gun crime.

what does that mean, you were robbed by a criminal armed with a knife instead of a gun?

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2007, 12:53:25 PM »
Originally posted by john9001
what does that mean, you were robbed by a criminal armed with a knife instead of a gun?

Where did I say "I" was robbed?

I said we have crime...but very little gun crime.  Why is that so hard to understand?  Are knives used?...yes, sometimes.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2007, 12:55:55 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
Where did I say "I" was robbed?

I said we have crime...but very little gun crime.  Why is that so hard to understand?  Are knives used?...yes, sometimes.

the weapon of choice is a cricket bat.:D

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2007, 01:28:43 PM »
Jackal, I do not know the ropes in our underworld. There are dealers, but there are also squealers.....
The cops sweep up lots of stuff, usually drug related. Some .22's and 12 gauges, but very very little handguns.
Mostly knives and clubs though...

I think I could get a handgun here though, - with lots of planning and a ton of money.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2007, 01:40:02 PM »
I think I could get a handgun here though, - with lots of planning and a ton of money.

I think I could too....here.  I have a few friends in low places.

But why on earth would I even try?  Risk 20 years in jail just for having it on my possession?  Ruin my career, my marriage, my kid's potential education, my kids lives without a father growing up?....no flipping thanks.

Offline Coach

• Copper Member
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2007, 02:04:54 PM »
Originally posted by Shamus
I wonder if Coach would have shared some of his Cab with the guy?

shamus

With one clarification yes.

The bottle over his head :D