Author Topic: How many here are "long-timers".  (Read 22365 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
How many here are "long-timers".
« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2007, 05:43:11 PM »
Originally posted by llama
I started with Warbirds back when it was in beta and called "Confirmed Kill." That would mean I started in May, 1995.

I stuck with Warbirds until 2001 as my main flightsim, but I was onboard with AH since the early betas.

Same here, was in the CK beta as -vlcn-, then in warbirds as -vlkn- . Then came to AH when it was still in beta.

Oh, and my first sim... probably Solo Flight on an early Atari :)

These days I only play games that support my headset (AH, FS X, and LOMAC, maybe EE2 if I'm feeling masochistic).

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2007, 05:44:07 PM »
Originally posted by COndor06
Now we are going to find out what old guys means. My first sim was F-18 Interceptor On the Commodore Amiga 500 in 1987.

Dude, thats not old. This is old...

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #122 on: August 24, 2007, 08:19:22 PM »
not that old tour 61 started with the LTARs and i cannot remember my ID before that but i would have to say tour 55 but since i cant remember my old ID i will go with 61.
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline Vortex

• Nickel Member
« Reply #123 on: August 24, 2007, 08:45:35 PM »
Originally posted by Raven3353
You bunch of noobs are making me feel way too old. I was Rave ::IAF:: cpid 3353 late 93 on GEnie and paying the big bucks. I remember Vortex and especially (ready for a flashback bud?) his CO Athos and the rest of the Musketeers, as well as vaguely remembering Nobaddy, Grits and Lone Wolf.

Ah yes, remember those times well. Old 6533! Good seeing you again Raven! I think that camp would have been right around the time I took a job up north and had to shut down the flying for a bit. The $6/hr was bad enough...long distance charges on top of that would have been right nasty!

I still fly every now and then, on a dark sunglasses account though. My handle was picked up here a while ago by someone else, so if you see a "Vortex" flying, that's not me :). Last time I flew that handle here would have probably been about 2004-5. As Nobaddy mentioned though I do believe Kumori still flies. He would have been around about that time. I still see the odd email from Stiletto, Waxer, Bug and B-man on the old Muskie mailing list. Rapier too. Haven't heard anything from some of the other fellas from the Muskies that used to fly then like Athos, Bushwacker, or shep (hehe, now there was a guy who could spin together some truly entertaining posts) in a loong time.

Speaking of Lone Wolf, he and I went and tangled it up in some real air combat (well, kinda real) at Texas Air Aces down in Houston at one of the AW cons (I don't recall what year that was...94 or 95 maybe?). For anyone that has an itch to try that sort of thing, I highly recommend it. Definitely a ton of fun!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 08:49:35 PM by Vortex »
--)-Vortex----
The Musketeers, circa 1990

AH In-Game Handle: Vort

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2007, 08:55:58 PM »
AW aol '96
AW3 on Gamestorm and ea
Dabbled with WB 1.xx
AH in tour 21 when I learned Kesmai Studios had been closed.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #125 on: August 24, 2007, 09:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Raven3353
You bunch of noobs are making me feel way too old. I was Rave ::IAF:: cpid 3353 late 93 on GEnie and paying the big bucks. I remember Vortex and especially (ready for a flashback bud?) his CO Athos and the rest of the Musketeers, as well as vaguely remembering Nobaddy, Grits and Lone Wolf.

LOL, dont worry Raven, almost everyone "vaguely" remembers me. :) I was flying then, but I split my time between Half Time (remember that?) and Real Time. I didnt make the permanent move to RT until later in '94 I guess around May, which is about when I joined the Gunfighters.

The first squad I joined was JG26 in Half Time, then I was in DoW for a bit, and then just went solo. I remember the IAF was a big squad in Half Time.

I see Tarkus in that list. I kinda wish I knew what old Tarkus was up to now, that guy started as a sworn enemy, then we got to be good friends. Always a funny guy to fly with or against.

Offline PK1Mw

• Nickel Member
« Reply #126 on: August 25, 2007, 04:37:26 AM »
I started "flying" in '97, back on Air Warrior Classic. Would have started before then, but I was only 12 as it was lol. 0LDemon found it on AOL, because the was the "big thing" back then.. AOhelL. He later got me hooked on it, and we been at it ever since. Didn't start playing AH til EA bout AW and gave it the boot, and even then I only played for a few months before giving it up. It just wasn't my precious Air Warrior. The people even changed, some acted like they didn't even know ya lol. To me, that was the worst part, the people changing. The best thing about AW was the community, bar none. No other online community will EVER come close to what AW had.

After playing a few months, I soon canceled my account, although I still played under 0LDemon's name when I visited him on the weekends and during the summer, and made a full come back in tour 50. Been at this god forsaken game ever since :)

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #127 on: August 25, 2007, 05:11:23 AM »
Aces High is my first and only flight sim and I started in Tour 35.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline chris3

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.ludwigs-hobby-seite.de/
« Reply #128 on: August 25, 2007, 06:35:37 AM »
moin

me and my dad (synrII) here since 2003.

we love this game and play it all day. but we had more fun with the one big arena :-(.

cu chris3

Offline Gryphons

• Copper Member
« Reply #129 on: August 25, 2007, 08:18:09 AM »
First flight sim was Flight Simulator 2 for the commodore 64 (can't remember the year), still have it at home, lol and still have many of the commodore parts.  Then I played whatever version of WB came with the logitetch wingman pro joystick. Started palying online in version 2.something.  Tried AH1 not sure what tour but it ran poorly compared to WB on the PC I was using.  The frame rate was unplayable and didn't see the need to upgrade when WB was still alive. Moved to WB 2004 when it came out and flew only in the WW2 arena until it died.  Then moved to AH2 and never looked back.
Classic Army G36C, KWA Glock 17, Well M4, UTG M24
71 Squadron RAF
Gryphon5

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #130 on: August 25, 2007, 08:37:59 AM »
I remember the time when duelling was made flipping a book :D

FSI then hiatus ;) AoP,AoE,big hiatus, EAW,CFSI,and  finally AH since beta 3

Offline Jag34

• Copper Member
« Reply #131 on: August 25, 2007, 09:26:29 AM »
I started out in 1998 in AW1 up to the last AW. Then when EA sold us out, my Squadron ( Dover Dawgs) went over to AH 2001 (if I remember right). Had a had time learning to fly here. Our Squadron join up with "Tiger Squadron" which I am still with today. Got my first kill after 2 months. Flew until Oct of 2004 when Uncle Sam sent me on a little trip for 18 months. Got back in Jan of 06 and had to learn how to fly again. I enjoy this flight sim very much. Thanks to my squad, all the guys who fly this sim and most of all, AH staff.:aok

Offline Stratocaster

• Nickel Member
« Reply #132 on: August 25, 2007, 09:55:07 AM »
Aces High in 02 at the ripe squeeking age of 12.
Strat

∼<<∼Loose Deuce∼>>∼

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #133 on: August 25, 2007, 11:46:31 AM »
I am almost as old as an oldtimer can get in massively multiplayer online sims: I started at campaign 1 of the original Air Warrior (Amiga) in 1987.  I have been continuously flying (virtually) from AW to CK to WB to AH.  I was plane # 715 in AW.  When AW made people select alpha handles I somehow got to be the only person allowed to keep my plane number as my handle.  That's why I'm 715B now (B from the changeover from AH beta to production).

Do oldtimers get better with time?  I certainly didn't.  In fact I have gone on a continual slide in the opposite direction with increasing age.  Scores from campaign 2 of AW show me near the top.  Now I have to fly exceedingly defensively just to stay a bit below mediocre.

Offline Gypsy Baron

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cris.com/~pstrogen
How old is "old? :)
« Reply #134 on: August 25, 2007, 12:23:38 PM »
I started flying online in '92 back at the dawn of SVGA Air Warrior.

Had the tail # 4580 and my initial "handle" was "Seadog".
I switched to "Gypsy Baron" a short time later.

I flew AW from '92 until it's demise. In the early days on GEnie
I used to rack up $600-$700 monthly CC bills, flying at $6/hour.

When AW added CRIS and the price dropped to a couple of bucks
an hour, it was a banner day for flight sims :)

Then came the dreaded addition of the "All you can eat" AOL
addition to AW....at that point the "game" changed dramatically
with the influx of more than the "10,000 dweebs" forecast by
DoK when AW SVGA came out :)

I think I had a CK account, briefly, but while AW was alive I never
found the need to fly any other sim.

I had an AH account prior to the death of AW but didnt fly here that
much. Now I pop into the arenas only occasionally while I wait for
"the next scenario", which is often too far in the future and too short!

I miss the old AW 12-frame scenarios that DoK created. Frames on
Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday for four weeks. Talk about keeping
the command staff BUSY!

I see Grits and 715 here on this page....haven't perused the earlier
pages in this thread yet but I'm sure I'll see alot of familiar "faces"
from the early days of AW.

=GB=  aka 4580, Gypsy Baron, GypsyB
Gypsy Baron  AW CPID 4580
B-17G 447th Bomb Group, 709th Bomb Squadron, Serial#42-31225

Scheherazade - Lt.Phillip P. Zanoya, Pilot

M/Sgt Kenneth N. Johnson, Crew Chief
126 missions without a single mechanical abort[/b