Can u pilots give me some advise for better flying the ki

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
Ki-84
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 03:35:36 PM »
don't hit 450 mph or more.

wings will rip off.
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
Ki-84
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 04:06:57 PM »
A good bird!  I've been flying the Ki-84 for a good portion of the past two months.

As posted above, don't get going that fast, your aierlons come right off and your wings not much later.

Looking at loadouts, I recomend 50% fuel if you'll be staying close to base, add the droptanks for longer flights.  I often carry the 2 250kg bombs and in that case I take 75% fuel; plenty to put your eggs on target and loiter for some kills.

Get in close for the cannons.  They aren't hizooka's, but you do get plenty of ammo.  Nailing a wing or tail in a snapshot at 200 with a few rounds will do the trick.

If you manage your E right and get worse turners trying to follow you can really put the hurt on them by forcing an overshoot and then rolling in behind.

I don't fear niki's near as much as I do in other planes.   spits aren't terrible either.  If you get any advice on how to beat a decent f4u pilot in one i'd like to hear, they give me all kinds of trouble if they have any alt on me, which is often the case.

I wouldn't recomend taking the Ki-84 very high, lots of stuff outclasses it up in the strato
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Ki-84
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 04:28:29 PM »
Check the power curve, the KI84s best alt is at 21.5k. It has a big power dip in the teens (check the link in my sig for better description) but it does okay.

The guns fire very quickly, so DON'T spray. Ever. You want to scare the guy, fire your 50cals only. Don't fire the cannon until you have a killshot (or a split-second snapshot).

I like taking 75%, but 50% is also good (with DTs).

It's an uber little plane. If you can get the enemy to slow down you can just go nose high and pop your butterfly flaps. Most can't follow you for long.

It's a nice plane as long as the enemy doesn't dive away. Then your fight is over (you can't follow). You can reposition and pick another fight, but you are not able to dictate the end of a fight in that case.

Offline Movie

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Ki-84
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 04:30:32 PM »

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
Ki-84
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 11:02:14 PM »
The key to the Hayate is not getting caught in a turning fight between 170 and 230 mph. The reason is that at those speeds other planes, like F4Us, can drop flaps and you can't. Once you get slow enough to drop flaps, it turns great in both radius size and in degrees/second.  You can fight pretty much anything once you get flaps out. However beware F4Us dropping flaps and turning inside you at 190. Use the Hayate's superior wep/climb to slow the fight down in a climbing spiral, you will soon have them stalling out and you can drop on their head.

Unless BlueKitty is in the F4U, then you're dead.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Ki-84
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 12:38:50 AM »
I disagree MOSQ. A climbing spiral in the Ki-84 vs the F4U-1/A/C/D is a very dicey prospect unless you know you're dealing with a total newbie and you have enough starting separation. The Corsair may not win the straight climb but her E retention is by FAR superior, (remember: You're not just burning E in the climb, but also from the spiral itself) and even at moderate to low speeds I've left Franks wallowing trying to follow me up. The Hog can maintain a 2500fpm spiral climb almost indefinitely at surprisingly high angles of attack.

The Frank has a better chance of pulling it off vs. the four 1-series Hogs, but DO NOT TRY THIS against the F4U-4. The -4 will eat the Frank alive in ANY vertical maneuvering, as she not only has the superior E retention of the early-models, (with the associated killer zoom climb) but will also run down the Ki-84 in the straight climb.

That said, IMO a well-flown Ki-84 is one of the most dangerous opponents for early-model Hogs, as she turns very well at low speeds and it's hard for them to run on a Frank if they get in trouble. Just remember that most experienced Corsair sticks will know not to get suckered into a low-alt stall fight with the Frank.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
Ki-84
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 01:44:02 AM »
Hurray for speed breaks! If you try to slow down the fight, we can do it better and make you overshoot, then we'll just regain the speed in a shallow dive :D

Did I say too much?
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Ki-84
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 01:55:24 AM »
Well, it's been mentioned so many times in how to FLY the Corsair threads, I'm sure opponents have long known what to watch out for. ;)
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: Ki-84
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 09:58:23 AM »
Originally posted by Movie
Can u pilots give me some advise for better flying the ki

Yeah. First and foremost, learn the airplane and know its limits and abilities, as well as its weaknesses.

There's no better way to do this than to fly it in the TA or offline.

The Ki-84 can do fun tail-slides, into a flap spin. Getting out of these is easy when you know  the method required. Here's a 5 minute film that may give some hints as what the Ki-84 can do.

Watch in from Fixed view, zoomed all the way in with Trails on. Use the sliders to change view angles.

Ki-84 Fun

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
Ki-84
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 08:43:04 PM »
Greetings,

Was recently at high alt (17k ish) in a 47 N.  I thought dragging him higher would be good.  Only worked till he got a firiing solution.  Then, I had to dive.

Recommendations?

Regards,

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
Ki-84
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 10:15:09 PM »
That post was vaguely well... vague.

What exactly were you fighting, and what do you mean by 'worked'? Did you use vertical maneuvers? Horizontal ones? Did you try spiral climbs?
I am a Spitdweeb

Offline Movie

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Ki-84
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 05:02:53 PM »
wats best approach to kill pony d

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Ki-84
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 05:12:26 PM »
Avoid the HO, out turn him. If he dives away don't follow. If you REALLY don't want to let him get away, stay level and follow him at alt. Descend once he turns back or tries to climb back up to you.

Biggest asset the pony has is speed, and you can't follow them past 450. Anything else and you've got 'em dead to rights.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Ki-84
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 08:29:33 PM »
Movie,

I got a film of a 10 minute dogfight/rolling scissors with a very good Ki-84 pilot named maha and me in a F4U-1 , that went on for ever  and a day, last night in the AvsA.....

soon as I find some one to host it and post a link here, I will.......

maybe you can pick up some pointers from his handling of the ki-84.......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC