Author Topic: Idea to encourage returning home alive  (Read 3282 times)

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
Idea to encourage returning home alive
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2001, 10:53:00 AM »
SW,

If you are allways that bitter, you will develop an ulcer in no time. Relax, man  :)

Ok, I have an idea (never a solution, never claimed i had that) for something that (in your view) is not a problem here. Point taken.  :)

Second, the numbers are overwhelming against it  ;), but there are hardly enough to allow you to use "the general public". This is an abrasive and useless phrase, I think.

Third. No problems here. I enjoy AH as it is. I'm only throwing ideas on a constructive way. Some may work, some not. Some may be clever, some BS. I think we are useful in this BBS by throwing ideas around. Htc will sort them out.

I don't think the problem is respawning, but encouraging returning alive. I think there is nothing wrong with this attitude, altho I'm not the best qualified to talk in this regard. I will never give up a field, whatever the odds I face, so It's easy to see that I have no problems with insta-respawn. I was thinking on cutting refuelling time, and having a minute (or whatever) penalty on insta-respawn (not penalty when taking off from other field) as a way to encourage people to fly long streaks and use fuel spots, so virtual life means something. That's all.

Cheers,

Pepe.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2001, 10:57:00 AM »
I'm not bitter. I don't like the idea of someone thinking something is better for me, when I know it isn't. If someone WANTS to fly to live, they will. If someone doesn't want to fly to live, they won't. Penalizing them will just aggrivate them and send them to another game.

"I don't think the problem is respawning, but encouraging returning alive."

Why should someone be encouraged to return to base alive? Why penalize someone by making them sit in the tower for a minute or go to another field to take off that's probably 20 minutes away from the action? Penalizing someone with time makes absolutely no sense to me. Points or score, fine but time... no way.
-SW

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2001, 11:11:00 AM »
Even if a player has to wait in the tower for 1 min before respawning, it is still quicker than taking the 5 min to fly back to a friendly field.  I think that this mode of thinking is unavoidable.

"I don't think the problem is respawning, but encouraging returning alive."

I agree.  I don't know what else can be done to encourage it.  We already get a perk bonus for landing a kill, and we loose perks if we don't land a perkie.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2001, 11:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mickey1992:
I agree.  I don't know what else can be done to encourage it.  We already get a perk bonus for landing a kill, and we loose perks if we don't land a perkie.

There's a very simple solution to this.  Do nothing.  I fail to understand why some players feel the need to encourage others to return to base, even to the point of throwing them in the "penalty box" in the tower for a period of time if they don't.  If the other players want to return to base, they will.  If they don't... they won't.

As someone who preferred to auger rather than waste the time returning to base, it didn't bother me when others spent their time doing it.  That was their choice.  Why should someone who returns to base care what I do for fun?

-- Todd/DMF

Offline Jase

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2001, 02:48:00 PM »
I agree 100% with DMF.

Offline Jase

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2001, 02:50:00 PM »

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: Jase ]

Offline AN

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2001, 03:30:00 PM »
I, too, prefer to auger instead of flying back to base most times.  I just don't see the need to fly a long way back just to land.

Although penalizing me for this would just be an annoying waste of time, I sure wouldn't mind having an incentive to rtb.

Nothing to do with points or perks; the people that care about points already have an incentive to rtb.

I don't really know what it could be, other than to say I really like the rearm pads.  I don't know why, but for some reason I find myself rearming more and more--even if it's just to rearm, take off, and auger.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is make rtbing fun or meaningful, and more people will do it.  

anRky

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: AN ]

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2001, 06:42:00 PM »
why do we feel the need to impose on others? because it would improve our own fun.

i dont enjoy killing someone, then having them back on top of the dog pile in 30 seconds after they up from their field again

upping from the field a but firther away and grabbing a bit is smarter anyways since you'll have more alt and will be less likely to get vulched

for me, any sort of "immersion" which is something that many (including myself) look for in a flight sim

i find this type of gameplay in a scenario, but there arent scenarios where "realistic" situations can be found nightly, you can only play on the weekends when you may be unavailable. hence the problem.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2001, 07:13:00 PM »
why do we feel the need to impose on others? because it would improve our own fun.

LOL!  I mean really... LOL!

How about you write down a list.  You can put all the things on it that everyone else should do to make the game more fun for you.  We'll try to oblige you, because your fun is more important than ours.

i dont enjoy killing someone, then having them back on top of the dog pile in 30 seconds after they up from their field again

I'd suggest not killing them right over their field then.  I'm wondering where else they can get to inside of 30 seconds.  This is all about vulching?  I'm also wondering what plane has a climb rate that can get them on the top of the dog pile 30 seconds after being killed.  Couldn't be that you are over-exagerating to try to make a point that normal numbers wouldn't support?

for me, any sort of "immersion" which is something that many (including myself) look for in a flight sim

I don't really see what this has to do with immersion.  Are you talking about immersion while you are vulching a field... or immersion that gives you 60 extra seconds to climb after killing someone before they can start to head back your way?  Really... what exactly does replaning have to do with immersion in any way shape or form... of course other than a 1 death then no more flying scenario?

AKDejaVu

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2001, 07:20:00 PM »
well, the ONLY way to achieve this is to introduce self-preservation instinct into AH.

How? Bloody simple, each time you get shot down a random .exe file in your C: drive will be deleted.

:D

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2001, 07:30:00 PM »
Zigrat....              

Yeah DJ pretty much covered all the bases.
-SW

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2001, 08:29:00 PM »
..  the majority of ah players have the patience, and intelligence, of infants.

ROFL Zig!

Gotta hand it to him; the man knows the audience.  :)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Jase

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2001, 09:22:00 PM »
ROFLMAO TAC!!!!!!!!!

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2001, 09:52:00 PM »
want evidence of teh general quakeish nature of ah players? look at the arena counts when a special event is taking place.

pretty sad.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2001, 10:16:00 PM »
I thought this was a "SIMULATION"[/i] game.

Yeah, it's a game, so we may not be able to simulate "EVERYTHING" "CORRECTLY", but we sure do know HTC tries to do so as much as they can, and us fans demand as much realism as possible in regards to current technical conditions.

You may not be able to "DEMAND" somebody else to fly around realistically, (did Pepe 'demand' anything to anyone?) but I'm pretty much sure we all can "SUGGEST" something that might encourage the tendencies of on-line pilots to match more closely to the tendencies of real wartime pilots, no? After all, this is a "SIMULATION". Is this idea harming anyone(like attacking their favorite plane of use)?

I don't think so. If any kind of suggestion and ideas are always treated as useless "solutions to problems which do not exist", why bother expecting HTC to upgrade planes and stuff in the first place?