Author Topic: 2 GV exploits  (Read 1315 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
2 GV exploits
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 11:44:01 AM »
Originally posted by GlassJaw
If a player chooses to camoflage a tank to blend into his enviornment and the enemy player has the option of turning off that camoflage to make said tank stand out against the background how is that not an exploit?

Because 1) The skin they chose was an OPTION anyways. Without said option, they would have to take default. Default is no more an exploit than anything else. They know that you might not even HAVE the skins downloaded, or have a low end system with skins disabled, and 2) you're assuming that the skins are all that good at camouflaging in the first place, which they really aren't.

Skins are not for the enemy. Skins are for the player using them. Nothing else. I've never seen a fight YET, GV, PT, or plane, where the skin chosen affected the outcome of the fight.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
2 GV exploits
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2007, 03:01:17 PM »
Originally posted by AKDogg
Not true Krusty.  I did a test 1 time shooting at someone who was behind a tree in a panzer.  When I had my detail sliders turn full, my shell would hit the tree, not the panzer.  When I turned my details sliders full low, I could hit him in 1 shot and kill him.  Only object I found that is not effected by the detail slider is the little mounds that GVs hide behind.  The Rounds won't go through the little mounds but will got through a invisible tree or hegrow.

Not so sure about that AKDogg.  You might want to test that again.  

I've hit many trees and hedgerows that weren't visible to me.  I sometimes see the flash from the object hit many many feet above my target (whom I can see but is hiding behind the tree or hedgerow I just hit).  

Even though object detail is turned down, at closer ranges, even though I don't see the tree I see branches flying when I hit it.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
2 GV exploits
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 07:06:26 PM »
the changeing of settings i understand  i think the solution would be to harden or make the trees harder to shoot thru tho just because you can see me in a group of trees hideing, doesnt mean you should be able to kill me. i know i hate it when i go into the trees were i cant see anything around me and still get hit  and know way to tell were the shot came from
 my solution has been too stay  out of the trees
 and yes i turn my graphics up too just as soon as someone kills me were i know they should'nt be able to see me  [like 2 k out and im deep in the woods] but i would rather play with the graphics in the more detail range!!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 07:09:16 PM by WWhiskey »
Flying since tour 71.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
2 GV exploits
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2007, 02:13:14 AM »
Originally posted by WWhiskey
the changeing of settings i understand  i think the solution would be to harden or make the trees harder to shoot thru tho just because you can see me in a group of trees hideing, doesnt mean you should be able to kill me. i know i hate it when i go into the trees were i cant see anything around me and still get hit  and know way to tell were the shot came from
 my solution has been too stay  out of the trees
 and yes i turn my graphics up too just as soon as someone kills me were i know they should'nt be able to see me  [like 2 k out and im deep in the woods] but i would rather play with the graphics in the more detail range!!

Even though they might be able to see you the trees still stop the shot (even though they might not see the trees).  

I played VB defense all night tonight and watched several shots blast into trees and hedgerows I couldn't see.  Even though I couldn't see the trees I could see branches and leaves falling off when I hit.

Adjusing my shot slightly sometimes allowed me to get under or around the foliage for the hit while my opponents, much closer to the tree, couldn't get the proper angle or elevation needed for a hit on me.  In the end, it was no different that having object detail turned up except for the ability to see where the opponent was.  It doesn't help at all in hitting them.  You still have to have a clear shot.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline GlassJaw

• Copper Member
2 GV exploits
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 06:21:30 PM »
If you cant see your opponent then you can't shoot them.  Since bullets travel in an arc your able to shoot over an obsticle (say a hedge row) and kill your opponent even though you should have no line of sight on them.  It does not get rid of obsticles, it simply lets you see your target through them.

This exploit gives players line of sight when they shouldn't have it.  It allows them to see opponents who are well hidden, nullifying any concealment they are attempting to use.  Sorry you guys with slow computers but no sympthay from me... probably time for you to upgrade. This "feature" is hurting the game.

Originally posted by BaldEagl
 It doesn't help at all in hitting them.  You still have to have a clear shot.

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
Re: 2 GV exploits
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2007, 07:27:21 PM »
Originally posted by GlassJaw

Also, if you turn your skins off, and someone is driving a tiger or a panzer they really stand out because the default skin for these tanks is the desert tan camo.  None of our maps have a desert terrain so this one is a really easy fix by just changing the default panzer / tiger skins to green.

I hope these can be fixed

Some people, like noobs especialy do not have the skin choice they only have the default skin, if they do well they have the option of changing the skin if they don't then its thier problem. this is not an exploit at all
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
2 GV exploits
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 12:46:44 AM »
I was going to tell glassjaw to stop posting all these bug threads that aren't really bugs but this one is sort of legit.

Just yesterday Bear69 was camping a spawn in a Shermie.  Ok 1st 3-4 ups he whacks me quick, usually I would think sod this I aint letting him have free kills but I persisted.  Luckily one spawn was out of his way.  For the life of me I didn't know where he was shooting from.  

Because I'm quite stubborn I don't want to let him go so I whack the sliders all down and he is sitting quite close behind a hill.

Now if I wasn't able to do that he would have got many more kills on other players.  Its up for debate what would be better for gameplay?  

Guys spawn camping with very little chance of being seen thanks to them driving for 30 minutes and setting up a good position.

Or a way of spotting them and inducing a fairer "fight"

Depends which side of the fence your sitting really......

It's available to everyone so it can't be seen as an exploit in that sense.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
2 GV exploits
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 04:07:10 AM »
Hidding inside the hill is available to everyone too.

Possibility to see tanks behind obstacles makes them almost useless, why dont just remove all trees/bushes/hills/etc and save computer's resources?
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
2 GV exploits
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007, 04:14:36 AM »
The sitting inside the hill is a terrain issue and yes it is an exploit because you werent able to do it before, therefore it is a bug.

The terrain slider I agree with you Oleg it reduces the realism but in regards to the hill and trees themselves they are still there and will still prevent you from taking hits.  

So the enemy still have to flank them or get in a position for a shot.

If it means spawn campers have to move or have a knife fight at close range so be it.  Personally I like having Trees and things  to look at so I don't resort to dumbing down my graphics in a GV.  I reserve the right only for campers  ;)
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline acfireguy26

• Nickel Member
      • FW
2 GV exploits
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007, 11:07:55 AM »
I was wondering how people were shooting me through the hedge rows.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
2 GV exploits
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2007, 11:41:18 AM »
Being behind a tree doesn't necessarly mean you are protected..  

The other night I was defending a base.  I was parked next to a hanger looking out via the top turret gun.  With the graphics turned full down. I could see an inbound tank in the distance.  I jumped to the main gun and all I could see was tree, it was just a few feet away from me.  It appears because I far enough away from the tree to see through it when unzoomed in, but close enough that when zoomed in, it was all I could see.  He was far away from the tree, so he couldn't see it.

My guess is, the rounds were passing under the foliage, next to the trunk and hitting me.  Since I couldn't see him, I couldn't return fire.  

How frustrating is it to be able to see a con from the turret, but not when in the main gun.

That trip back to the tower hurt.  I had driven for a long time to get to that base, as the VH was down and I upped from a near by spawn.  Arrgh!!!

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug....
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Snubby

• Copper Member
2 GV exploits
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2007, 12:21:46 AM »
I agree with the skin issue, how hard would it be to switch the default skin to green instead of tan?  thats really all it would take to fix that problem..

it would bother me too knowing that the enemy could adjust stuff on their end and effect my vehicle.. regardless of how debatable the real effect is..

Offline Relorian

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.wtf.com
2 GV exploits
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2007, 01:01:40 PM »
SO everyone in favor of keeping this will agree the next statement is 100% "fair" and "legit" then.

Crank the slider down, revealing ever one thats taken the time to properly hide their armor, then let everyone know where those units are because you can see what others cannot (You know, everyone not taking advantage of this "Feature" and making poor excuses that the low low system requirements are "Too high").  So now instead of your friends getting whacked (Along with you) because they cant see the tiger or panzer or sherman until its too late, they now know fully where it is and go around it and score a cheap kill instead of having to actually you know, learn how to scout or learn about proper GV camo.

Sounds real "fair" to me.

As for the skin options... the panzer and tiger get screwed. Sherman skin is green, t34 skin is green. Easy to hide. Now, try hiding a tan tiger or panzer. Yeah, not real easy when the default skin sticks out like a sore thumb. Could be better but i doubt its high on the list of things HTC needs to fix.

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
2 GV exploits
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2007, 01:33:40 PM »
Everyone just remember that while all the above is BAD, just because you cannot figure out how you died not everyone is doing it.

I shot at a Firefly who ducked around a hill, I went around the other side and shot him from behind (he had did a 180) and got accused of "shooting through the hill".

Same guy later said I was shooting through trees, when he charged me (after I killed him a couple times from some trees) in a MkIV and I reversed out of the trees and shot him as he emerged from the treeline.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline GlassJaw

• Copper Member
2 GV exploits
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2007, 04:16:04 PM »
I e-mailed hitech a video of the hiding inside the hill thing last week.  They replied saying that that problem would be fixed in the next patch.

I like the feature of being able to turn off skins while in an airplane because it seems to help eliminate a studder you can get when approaching an enemy... but we shouldn't be able to turn it off it on GV's as there doesnt seem to be any real system performance benefit to not turning it off when GV ing.