Author Topic: Percentage of atheists in prison  (Read 2232 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Percentage of atheists in prison
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2007, 05:26:08 PM »
I'm wondering which religion these people were practicing that landed 'em in the big house? I suspect it was the religion of self worship.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2007, 05:29:12 PM »
You could probably worship yourself religiously in a very healthy way.. so it's not that good a pigeonholing, Iron :)
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2007, 05:35:33 PM »
Originally posted by moot
You could probably worship yourself religiously in a very healthy way.. so it's not that good a pigeonholing, Iron :)

argh, too much information ;)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2007, 05:36:47 PM »
i love how people who have never been to prison try to say they know what those people are like,
  and being a prison guard does not count you get to go home at night, and you carry the keys.

any time we classify all or some people together, we make a mistake, because every one is different and each and every one of us has our own reasons for doing this or that.

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2007, 05:38:59 PM »
i'm a hardened dude man, but ive done ny time and i don't ever want to go back.

(12 hours was enough)

:D
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2007, 05:44:52 PM »
Originally posted by ink
i love how people who have never been to prison try to say they know what those people are like,
  and being a prison guard does not count you get to go home at night, and you carry the keys.

any time we classify all or some people together, we make a mistake, because every one is different and each and every one of us has our own reasons for doing this or that.

People are people, we all know what they are like. Some do bad things and must be punished. Is it so complicated?

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2007, 05:46:25 PM »
When you spend 13 or 14 hours a day watching an inmate stab, rape or steal from another inmate, you get a pretty good idea on what kind of person they are.

Most inmates just want to do their time in peace.  Less then 10 percent cause problems.

Most C/Os who work a cell block do NOT have the keys to get out and have to call over the radio to get someone to let them out.

I had my life saved by inmates when I was assaulted by another.  You telling me that I don't know what it's like behind bars is total BS.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 06:03:00 PM by Xargos »
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2007, 05:46:40 PM »
Originally posted by ink

Well, I've spent enough time hanging around in crack houses and such with a few of my friends that actually have been to prison to feel that I have at least a basic understanding of some of the types that wind up there, but I guess until I rob a bank I'll never know for sure, huh?

Come to think of it...  More of my buddies have been to jail than not :huh

Whatever, I'm not a fair weather friend.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2007, 06:06:35 PM »
Sorry Iron but that went oer my vodka'd cephalus.
[Retry] [Ignore] [Cancel]
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2007, 06:18:33 PM »
Originally posted by moot
Sorry Iron but that went oer my vodka'd cephalus.
[Retry] [Ignore] [Cancel]

I guess the healthy self worship part led me to think of healthy self abus... er... indulgence. Perhaps it was just my own depravity or at best my warped sense of humor.

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
Re: Percentage of atheists in prison
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2007, 06:19:24 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy

The percentage of atheists in prison is quite a bit lower than the percentage in the population.

Christianity has a higher per capita in this country than atheists. The conversion rate in prison may also be of some support.

This does not explain the black prison population since they make up about 13% of the American population. It's a different study with a different set of reasons.

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2007, 06:22:26 PM »
Originally posted by Xargos
Inmate always get religion after they get locked up, not because they believe but because their trying to fool you into letting them go.  The question you should be asking is what are they before they get locked up.

Jeff..................You're Wicked Smart!!!!  Seriously, you hit the nail on the head!

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2007, 06:32:02 PM »
Originally posted by bozon
Simple: The higher you go in the education and socio-economic ladder, the higher the percentage of atheists gets.

Originally posted by FBplmmr
The more arrogant and self centered a person is, the more distasteful it becomes for them to entertain the possibility that there may be a divine being of unbridled power and wisdom

I'd go with Bozon's suggestion, in general well educated and affluent people are far less likely to end up in prison. They are also far more likely to be atheist.

As for FBplmmr's comment, well arrogance and selfishness is nothing to do with it. If you stop and think about it for a minute, 'a divine being with unbridled power and wisdom' would have done a much better job of the human race.  The only revelation worth having is the one where you realise we're on our own. I find it gives me great peace of mind.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2007, 06:37:15 PM »
Originally posted by Xargos
When you spend 13 or 14 hours a day watching an inmate stab, rape or steal from another inmate, you get a pretty good idea on what kind of person they are.

Most inmates just want to do their time in peace.  Less then 10 percent cause problems.

Most C/Os who work a cell block do NOT have the keys to get out and have to call over the radio to get someone to let them out.

I had my life saved by inmates when I was assaulted by another.  You telling me that I don't know what it's like behind bars is total BS.

i am absolutely telling you, just because you are a guard, you have no clue what it is like to LIVE in prison,  
so you watched some inmates get rapped huh?  stolen from?
ya im sure you did,    more like heard about it.
  and you pointing out the fact that not all  screws carry keys to get out is lame
you go home right?
thats the point you go home
 so no you dont have a clue, you may more so than the general puplic, but untill you have years inside,  not hours, dont think you know what its like.
    and yes i can say what it means to be locked up, for years, 10 years in fact.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2007, 06:46:04 PM »
If he doesn't know what's on the inmates minds, you don't the guard's.
My informed guess is you don't know enough abouf Xargos to make any accurate predictions.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you