Author Topic: AH - Has it become too serious?  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
AH - Has it become too serious?
« on: September 03, 2007, 03:48:57 PM »
I often see people complaining about how this game is no longer how it used to be, how it was a long time ago when it was more about the fight and having fun than winning the war, do you think that this is due to the game becoming too serious?

No longer are new aircraft made with hidden bottles of alcohol, and the hidden graffiti on the aircraft.  No longer do we have giant squids in the oceans, giant beer and pizzas. Not even aliens.

Instead this has been replaced by land grabbing and rank, people too highly strung to have fun and a bit of banter, too obsessed by their ratio's to salute the person who has just outflown them.

The game is obviously far more successful and HTC have done a great job bringing the game forward, but for those people who have seen it all the way through, has it lost its fun factor?

This is by no means a dig at HTC, it was this thread which made me think of it: -

http://forums.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=214194
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 03:59:37 PM »
I don't think I can take it any less seriously then I do already.  I'm having as much fun as ever.

Seems to me the secret is to not let those who are too serious, get in the way of your fun.

It's still on me how I approach the game.:aok
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 04:13:14 PM »
I think it would be hilarious to be in a fight down on the deck, come around a turn, and lawn dart against some giant squid :)

Did that ever happen?  I subscribed right at the end of AH1...  I only had a few weeks in there and never got to see many of these Easter Eggs I've read so much about :(
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 04:19:41 PM »
I miss the squid.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline grayman1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 04:35:14 PM »
This game has gotten very serious for a lot of people. I have been playing from day one and it is not as much fun, but i still play

Offline C(Sea)Bass

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 04:40:58 PM »
CBass feels the game needs to have stupid stuff for CBass to shoot at. CBass is tired of only shooting at stupid people. CBass does not want a squid, CBass and squid do not get along.

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 04:51:59 PM »

CBass and squid do not get along.

:rofl
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 04:52:59 PM »
I think I still player the same as always.  Going as far back as Fighter Ops.  A little more knowledgeable with the game perhaps.  I did enjoy stumbling across squiddie and area 52 crashed UFO.....even flying under the golden gate bridge pre 9.11.  Those little things were kinda cool.

Offline Softail

• Copper Member
Re: AH - Has it become too serious?
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 05:11:30 PM »
Originally posted by Furball
Ido you think that this is due to the game becoming too serious?

http://forums.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=214194

game?!?!?! GAME!!!! YOU THINK THIS IS  A $%#$^#@$%@$#! GAME!

Ha ha ha ha.

Softail

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 05:44:31 PM »
Glad to inspire something. ;)

I wish some of the old jokes would come back. I flew many sectors one day to find The Crater empty in AHII...was a saddening sight.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: AH - Has it become too serious?
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 09:01:34 PM »
Originally posted by Furball
Instead this has been replaced by land grabbing and rank, people too highly strung to have fun and a bit of banter, too obsessed by their ratio's to salute the person who has just outflown them.

I meandered into one of the MAs late last night.  On range channel I listened to Player 1 tell Player 2 that, because Player 2 had missed bombing the enemy carrier several times, the only way Player 2 could "redeem himself" was to kamikaze the carrier.

So I agree with you, if there are people who take it that seriously, we need a toga party or a road trip.

- oldman

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 09:34:29 PM »
Sorry I couldnt help myself

See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2007, 10:15:15 PM »
No longer are new aircraft made with hidden bottles of alcohol, and the hidden graffiti on the aircraft. No longer do we have giant squids in the oceans, giant beer and pizzas. Not even aliens.

Furb, that part of it is on Hitech's end, not ours. I'd like to see some of those things coded back in, though (Or, maybe something new and different?)

Now, THAT part is the community. Why the change in AH's social paradigmn is only open to guess. The only thing I'd be willing to say about it is that the change has been noticable since...well, IMHO, the 9/13 arena split.

Now, I know that we just made it through the season of squeakers, which we all refer to as summer, but I'd say that things' were headed the way they were since the split.

I'm gonna say this now, too, even though I haven't talked to my squad CO or XO(Dh367th and Cooley, respectively.)

During that split, we had some of the nastiest fights on these boards ever. I've often wondered if things said here on the boards, during that time, were carried as grudges into the MA's. For a long time, you could hear things' said over local vox, that, well...I'd just like to say that I've never blamed any squad, or any person, for unhapiness during the split. I just wish I could say that of everyone.

However, most of that happened over a year ago. I'm sure that bygones are bygones, now. I hope.

Offline KTM520guy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2007, 10:26:50 PM »
Not as fun as it was a year ago but still having a good time. Got a good group a friends that I enjoy flying with.
Everything King Midas touches turns to gold. Everything Chuck Norris touches turns up dead.

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2007, 10:28:06 PM »
Oooh, I take this game so seriously....I cant stand getting shot down/killed etc........I'll run from every fight to stay alive, and sneak kills any which way I can.......errrr, actually......no I dont, I dive into furballs with no regard (which explains why I die a lot lol), I get mullered by ack, buff guns, every other player on the map..........but, the important thing I get out of this game, is vast amounts of fun..........I've met loads of great people, some great virtual sticks (who keep shooting me down at every opportunity...lol), and the great thing about this game, every time I fly/drive/fight, I learn something new.....

all,

:aok

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.