Author Topic: WW2OL trying to get back old subs  (Read 870 times)

Offline Torcher

• Copper Member
WW2OL trying to get back old subs
« on: September 26, 2007, 10:55:20 AM »
I just got an email from "the Rat" giving me a week freebee to try them out again. They did this last year and I reupped for a month only to find that WW2OL still sucked. My opinion.

It had a lot of potential (like most games) but was just never followed through properly plus buggy as hell.

Guess I'll still feed the HiTech till.

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 11:50:05 AM »
WTF, I played the since 2002 and never got such offers when I quit my account?!?!

I guess I made too many snide remarks in "playschool". :p

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 12:03:17 PM »
I've found the Rat's to be gracious about granting a free week or two to try the game out again, pretty much upon request.

I retried the game offline a few versions ago, but found that I still had stutters and some periods of single digit frame rates even in the offline world. I've followed the new release readmes, and really need to try it again when I have time - they appear to have focused a lot on performance fixes in the last few patches. Besides time though, the biggest thing holding me back from investing the time in retrying the sim is the limitation of 2 1/2 mile visibility.  This appears to have not changed, and that's a stone cold killer (no pun intended) for realistic air combat.

P.S. I'm not sure this belongs in the main HTC forum...

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Laciner

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 12:04:34 PM »
I had a go myself. I wanted it to work, because I was a fan of Operation Flashpoint, and Battleground Europe seemed like a similar concept. My impression was that it had a few good details, but the overall concept was flawed, and in general it was spawn camp city, at least playing as an infantryman. When I say that the overall concept is flawed, I mean that a realistic simulation of infantry combat would entail hours of boredom mixed with a few minutes of confusion, and Battleground Europe seemed quite accurate in that respect, but not very entertainin. Then again, clearly some people enjoy it, and I only played through the trial period. Perhaps if I had invested weeks and lots of money in the game, I would be hooked. But I would probably get more kicks if I invested the same amount of time and money in heroin, or rock music, or freaking out like a tiny dancer.

There's a novel selection of aircraft, including some sexy French birds. I remember taking off in a Hurricane, and feeling upset as my computer immediately rebooted back to the BIOS. I decided not to take off in an aircraft again. It struck me that tank driving would only be fun if you were sitting in the same room as your co-drivers. The whole game felt like this.

It's interesting to compare the planes of Battleground Europe with those of Aces High:
http://www.hoofsperformance.wwiionline.com/
and here's an old version of Warbirds for comparison (dig those polygons):
http://www.rdrop.com/users/hoofj/index.html

It also feels like a closed shop. Aces High has a steep learning curve, but it's not insurmountable, and there's Netaces and so forth to help. It is not too hard to take off, find the battle, and have fun dying in Aces High. It is easier than learning how to create HDR images with Photoshop. In constrast, Battleground Europe felt like a private in-joke. The website has some poorly-written training guides with missing images. They tell you how to select options etc, but not why. There seems to be three slightly different homepages, which confused me no end. The website(s) reminded me of Warbirds, in the sense that it/they look(s(him)) as if it/the(ir)y ha(ve)/sn't been updated for years(th'm) (apart from the copyright message).

But, as I say, some people enjoy playing it. It just made me appreciate Aces High even more. Although people grumble, Aces High has an excellent balance between different play styles. You can play alone or as part of a squad; you can dogfight or play strategically; and there is a certain amount of bomber and ground vehicle action for the older players, or people who are relaxing after a hard day at work. You can sip it, or gulp it down. It removes stains, without leaving a worse stain. It follows the right hand path.

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 01:13:16 PM »
Hoof has a pretty good idea of how the planes should fly but the planes in WW2OL do not behave like that. They probably would if Hoof would still be doing the coding...

I think it is a good game, but as said before it is different from AH and if I want to fly my choice is AH.

WW2OL does not work on my Vista so I closed my account.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Trukk

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 03:48:38 PM »
I like the ground war in WWIIOL much better, but in the air WWIIOL can't hold a candle against AH.  If Combat Tour ever arrives and lives up to the name, it wouldn't surprise me if it kills what little air war is left in WWIIOL.

Offline Tiger

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 03:56:20 PM »
WW2OL was great in concept, kinda reminds me of Communism,  but it failed in execution.

If they made a way to make it less of a resource hog that would actually put out a decent frame rate on an 'average' computer that would be the first step in helping.

2nd, it needs an integrated vox system.

3rd, maybe they should have considered doing a late war setup rather than the early war setup.  I'm pretty sure people would enjoy a Post-Normandy setup much more than the pre-Dunkirk setup.

I've played WW2OL twice, once back in 2003 and earlier this year.  4 year spread and I found the game play in 2003 much better and the performance much better.  (and that was with a much worse computer system than I have now and on dial-up back then)

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 07:04:02 PM »
Originally posted by Tiger
WW2OL was great in concept, kinda reminds me of Communism,  but it failed in execution.

If they made a way to make it less of a resource hog that would actually put out a decent frame rate on an 'average' computer that would be the first step in helping.

2nd, it needs an integrated vox system.

3rd, maybe they should have considered doing a late war setup rather than the early war setup.  I'm pretty sure people would enjoy a Post-Normandy setup much more than the pre-Dunkirk setup.

I've played WW2OL twice, once back in 2003 and earlier this year.  4 year spread and I found the game play in 2003 much better and the performance much better.  (and that was with a much worse computer system than I have now and on dial-up back then)

Thats why I had no interest. The war not all that interesting to me until the BoB. Hell if you think about it, for the most part, all the players in the war were armatures, working with pretty bad equipment at the very start of the war. by 1943 it was much more interesting, and from an equipment standpoint 43 is fun for the Germans, tigers and panthers etc, plus everyones planes are much better by 43.

So all the talk of the flight models being a joke and there point in the war for me killed any interest in playing it.

Hell most Americans prolly have no idea

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
Re: WW2OL trying to get back old subs
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 07:32:48 PM »
Originally posted by Torcher
It had a lot of potential (like most games).

thanks for the review???
sorry, what are you comparing with ww2ol?
as far as i know, its still a very unique online game.
What else would you suggest to play a MMOG WW2
combined warfare?
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline Jackraid

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 07:59:18 PM »
I played wwiiol for a number of years...had a lot of fun.  Ultimately I dumped it because of the in game frame rates/lag.  Total memory hog.  The ground war was a great.   AT's were great.  Tanks were great.   Air war doesnt even come close to AH2.  This is by far a much more enjoyable game.

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
      • http://www.simpilots.org/
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 08:21:23 PM »
What baffles me is why they haven't been able to come up with a decent infantry model. The one they have feels like a stick man with a corn cob up his prettythang.

They did do a great job with ground vehicles though [until they brought in the mythical  olympic running sappers]. Thats one area they are better at than AH, but if the AH guys ever improve them it would be the death nail for the Rats.

Wouldn't mind seeing them adding infantry in here either. If they did AH would be ALOT closer to what WW2OL is advertising to be.
Tango78
78th Razorbacks
Historical Air Combat Group

Offline Stott

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 09:41:42 PM »
I started playing a couple of versions ago and it does seem to improve each release. CRS got TOE into the game so that equipment is tied to Brigades and Armies and not towns. Mortarmen exist. The FPS can fluctuate but some were from a needed AMD driver for the FX series. I am running it on a Sharp 32" LCD 1080P TV at 1872 res and it looks good and even on a 7800 Nvidia I get 25+ fps. I like killing infantry in the woods with some HE mortar rounds. What is the Welcome Back?

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
      • http://www.simpilots.org/
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 10:13:15 PM »
Originally posted by Stott
What is the Welcome Back?

Its thier way of trying to beg PO'd players to come back.

They've made too many promises and never came through with them to get the number pf players they used to have. The air war went down the tubes when they brought in the perma fog to make the ground guys stop gripeing about getting straffed. They called it weather. :rolleyes:
Tango78
78th Razorbacks
Historical Air Combat Group

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 10:39:09 PM »
The ground war in the game is the best (and only) of its kind out there.

They are working on a new engine so they arent upgrading their current one.

I left the game 8 months ago because i grew tired of the constant armor quake... it was really silly to see a small town being attacked by 300 tanks and when the armor ran out the attack shifted to the next town to repeat the idiot 300 tank quake.

But now... now it will change.

Supply is no longer determined by towns but in the brigade itself. Armor quake is over. That fact alone changes the game upside down.

They added mortars (lmao!)

Ill be trying the game again for those 7 days.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 11:59:08 PM »
Tac I'm hearing the armour quake is worse now from my old axis squaddies. Sounds like another meltdown is hitting over supply imbalances (dunno who is right or wrong....).