Author Topic: bogus ENY calculation  (Read 2283 times)

Offline yanksfan

• Silver Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 09:45:19 AM »
Originally posted by NHawk
If that's the case then this is where ENY becomes unfair.

Let's just say that 102 Rooks were exclusively attacking the Knights. The other 10 are trying to defend against the Bishop attack. Those 10 could be severely penalized by ENY.

You know what, i never considerd that, but that does happen, i used to defend alot of bases and i can remember not being able to get a flak panzer, i think and i hate to admit this, but the best way to deal with eny is to change to the low side, maybe they should offer a perk point bonus to switch to low side, i don't think there is a completely fair way to share the wealth, eny is not gonna fix an imbalance, and it's not going away either, but if you do fly knit, you deal with it alot less.

Don
ESTES- will you have my baby?
Ack-Ack -As long as we can name the baby Shuffler if it's a boy and Mensa if it's a girl.

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 09:58:10 AM »
Originally posted by Shiryu
.............. All countries have to split their forces, the rooks do, and so do the knights and the bishes, the imbalance doesn't change.

This the part or your quote that is causing you the problems. It should read "All countries SHOULD  split their forces ". Unfortunately the mentality doesn't always follow a logical route. If the countries split their forces, and we had even fronts on all sides, even numbers like you posted wouldn't be a big deal, and the ENY would be helping. Unfortunately HTC can predict how the fronts are going to balance out because basically most are too busy either killing, or land grabbing to worry about strategy.

So basically "bogus ENY calculation" only comes into effect when your country is being ganged, and believe it or not, it happens to ALL countries at different times of day.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 10:45:16 AM »
Originally posted by yanksfan
You know what, i never considerd that, but that does happen, i used to defend alot of bases and i can remember not being able to get a flak panzer, i think and i hate to admit this, but the best way to deal with eny is to change to the low side, maybe they should offer a perk point bonus to switch to low side, i don't think there is a completely fair way to share the wealth, eny is not gonna fix an imbalance, and it's not going away either, but if you do fly knit, you deal with it alot less.

Don

Nothing in place at the moment will fix the imbalance ... ENY is an incentive to switch (it's not a balancer) ... along with trying to take some of the pressure off the lower numbered team(s) by making the most populated team(s) fly lesser rides.

The long and short of it yanks ... the majority of the populace will endure the hardships (with whining) cause the fuzzy warm blanket of "numbers" makes them feel secure.

It all revolves around the fact that people don't want to die for fear of embarassment along with the mindset that "rank" really means something in this game.

As an experiment, I would love to see them disable ranking for 1 or 2 tours ... and then lets see how gameplay changes during that time period.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline dogtooth 967

• Zinc Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 10:47:59 AM »
Just a game.

Offline dogtooth 967

• Zinc Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2007, 10:52:06 AM »
This outlet is a crutch. Not posting further, fear of the ping, (persona non grata)

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2007, 10:53:09 AM »
Originally posted by Shiryu
You define having a 51% advantage in numbers as "not as bad"?

Funny :aok

I've been on many of times where Rooks were flying at 20+ ENY because we had the numbers. Yet Bish and Nits were barely fighting each other. That means Rooks were fighting almost full forces at both ends and dealing with ENY.

I've said for a long time, that ENY should be determined by sectors on the map. If 80% of the players from one team are over hoarding the smaller team. Those guys at that side of the map should face ENY restrictions.

However the left over 20% that are likely out numbered at the other end, should not also be also penalized by the same ENY.
"strafing"

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2007, 10:55:35 AM »
Originally posted by The Fugitive
This the part or your quote that is causing you the problems. It should read "All countries SHOULD  split their forces ". Unfortunately the mentality doesn't always follow a logical route. If the countries split their forces, and we had even fronts on all sides, even numbers like you posted wouldn't be a big deal, and the ENY would be helping. Unfortunately HTC can predict how the fronts are going to balance out because basically most are too busy either killing, or land grabbing to worry about strategy.

So basically "bogus ENY calculation" only comes into effect when your country is being ganged, and believe it or not, it happens to ALL countries at different times of day.

Most people don't seem want a real adversary, and hit the weakest country of the moment, irregardless....human nature I guess
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline yanksfan

• Silver Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2007, 11:35:52 AM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Nothing in place at the moment will fix the imbalance ... ENY is an incentive to switch (it's not a balancer) ... along with trying to take some of the pressure off the lower numbered team(s) by making the most populated team(s) fly lesser rides.

The long and short of it yanks ... the majority of the populace will endure the hardships (with whining) cause the fuzzy warm blanket of "numbers" makes them feel secure.

It all revolves around the fact that people don't want to die for fear of embarassment along with the mindset that "rank" really means something in this game.

As an experiment, I would love to see them disable ranking for 1 or 2 tours ... and then lets see how gameplay changes during that time period.

I agree:aok
 i used to say i would be the last rook, but i fly rook and knit now, planning to fly bish some too but i don't know too many bish, but i have met so many more people switching to the low side, the game is alot more fun.
If you wanna stay loyal to one country, thats great, but you really are missing out on a chance to have even more fun then you can imagine.

MHO, Don :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 11:43:31 AM by yanksfan »
ESTES- will you have my baby?
Ack-Ack -As long as we can name the baby Shuffler if it's a boy and Mensa if it's a girl.

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2007, 11:47:23 AM »
Originally posted by crockett
I've been on many of times where Rooks were flying at 20+ ENY because we had the numbers. Yet Bish and Nits were barely fighting each other. That means Rooks were fighting almost full forces at both ends and dealing with ENY.

I've said for a long time, that ENY should be determined by sectors on the map. If 80% of the players from one team are over hoarding the smaller team. Those guys at that side of the map should face ENY restrictions.

However the left over 20% that are likely out numbered at the other end, should not also be also penalized by the same ENY.

Long time? Like, the year you've been playing? The ENY by sector would not work. ENY up in the sector your green hordlets are vulching? Take off from an adjacent field. Nothing changes, except for the field of origin. Enemy kicking your tail? Everyone stays in the tower, or goes to a different field. ENY goes up for the enemy, even though you were outnumbering them. Not a good solution.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline BMathis

• Platinum Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2007, 12:27:14 PM »
Originally posted by NHawk
If that's the case then this is where ENY becomes unfair.

Let's just say that 102 Rooks were exclusively attacking the Knights. The other 10 are trying to defend against the Bishop attack. Those 10 could be severely penalized by ENY.
How would the computer know if you were ingaged with a certain country. Is your statement true about those 10 people defending? I thought it was the same for all countrymen
BMathis
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing (Retired)
Aces High CM Staff (Retired) [Koth, Xtreme Racing League]

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
Eny???
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2007, 12:43:33 PM »
I've been switiching sides for a few TODs, now. I've met, and have enjoyed flying with many former adversaries, and this has enriched my AH experience.

For nearly three years I flew only Rooks (that's where my Squad was based) and I think, upon reflection, that this not only limited my individual skill growth, but also limited my personal interaction within the Community.

ENY is no longer a Factor for me, because when I log on...I look for the side which has the fewest numbers...I can fly any aircraft I want.

Just some thoughts....
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Re: Eny???
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2007, 01:23:58 PM »
Originally posted by Patches1
I've been switiching sides for a few TODs, now. I've met, and have enjoyed flying with many former adversaries, and this has enriched my AH experience.

For nearly three years I flew only Rooks (that's where my Squad was based) and I think, upon reflection, that this not only limited my individual skill growth, but also limited my personal interaction within the Community.

ENY is no longer a Factor for me, because when I log on...I look for the side which has the fewest numbers...I can fly any aircraft I want.

Just some thoughts....

Someone has seen the light ... as well as yanksfan.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline sethipus

• Copper Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2007, 04:56:01 PM »
A lot of true things have been said so far.

I'm interested whether anyone can explain why the ENY calculations could produce the numbers in the screenshots I posted in the OP.  I still think that the population imbalance was far greater than the ENY numbers that resulted.  I believe the numbers were an anamoly.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2007, 05:07:34 PM »
Originally posted by sethipus
A lot of true things have been said so far.

I'm interested whether anyone can explain why the ENY calculations could produce the numbers in the screenshots I posted in the OP.  I still think that the population imbalance was far greater than the ENY numbers that resulted.  I believe the numbers were an anamoly.

I still fail to spot the anomaly.

ENY limit is only based on  "total %" value, not "inflight" numbers.

Example 1: total % 41.8 ENY 6.7
Example 2: total % 43.2 ENY 10.5

Total % goes up - so does ENY.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2007, 05:20:31 PM »
Originally posted by Lusche
I still fail to spot the anomaly.

ENY limit is only based on  "total %" value, not "inflight" numbers.

Example 1: total % 41.8 ENY 6.7
Example 2: total % 43.2 ENY 10.5

Total % goes up - so does ENY.
Is it total % or the differential vs. the lowest side?  I always thought it was the differential (i.e. not a set threshold of, say 40%), which would be how you could have two sides with ENY restrictions at the same time.

Even if it is based on differential, there is still no anomaly.

Rooks 41.8% - Knights 27.6% = 14.2% differential = ENY 6.7

Rooks 43.2% - Knights 26.6% = 16.6% differential = ENY 10.5

ENY does not escalate linearly, nor from the first % advantage, but the degree of advantage and degree of ENY do not indicate a discrepancy.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."