Author Topic: bogus ENY calculation  (Read 2285 times)

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2007, 05:24:38 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
Long time? Like, the year you've been playing? The ENY by sector would not work. ENY up in the sector your green hordlets are vulching? Take off from an adjacent field. Nothing changes, except for the field of origin. Enemy kicking your tail? Everyone stays in the tower, or goes to a different field. ENY goes up for the enemy, even though you were outnumbering them. Not a good solution.

Wow get a tissy because I call a year a long time..

I don't mean sector as in a sector on the map. I mean breaking each map up into say 4 sections, I just called it a sector instead of a section.

I'm not saying it's a perfect idea but is it any better that the team with numbers can end up being out numbered at both ends, yet still have to deal with ENY? Is that really fair to that team?

At least the idea I'm tossing out might actually cause people whom are hoarding, to "want" to go to the other side of the map. I mean hell as it is now if one team is getting hoarded they tend to just leave the arena to go to the other, which drives the ENY up even more. So the team with numbers ends up getting screwed over simply because the lower number team gives up.

At least the idea I gave would give a reason for the guys doing the hoarding to go fly elsewhere.
"strafing"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2007, 05:39:05 PM »
Originally posted by E25280
Is it total % or the differential vs. the lowest side?  I always thought it was the differential (i.e. not a set threshold of, say 40%), which would be how you could have two sides with ENY restrictions at the same time.

Well, you are right - it is a differential, but that differential is based only on "total %" - i didn't express myself clear enough.

It's the differential between your country's total % and smallest country total% with a few modifiers thrown in - for example there is a minimum population limit before ENY can kick in.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2007, 07:48:45 PM »
Originally posted by crockett
Wow get a tissy because I call a year a long time..

I don't mean sector as in a sector on the map. I mean breaking each map up into say 4 sections, I just called it a sector instead of a section.

I'm not saying it's a perfect idea but is it any better that the team with numbers can end up being out numbered at both ends, yet still have to deal with ENY? Is that really fair to that team?

At least the idea I'm tossing out might actually cause people whom are hoarding, to "want" to go to the other side of the map. I mean hell as it is now if one team is getting hoarded they tend to just leave the arena to go to the other, which drives the ENY up even more. So the team with numbers ends up getting screwed over simply because the lower number team gives up.

At least the idea I gave would give a reason for the guys doing the hoarding to go fly elsewhere.

What you have seen in the last 10 or 11 months is nothing compared to what things were like in the past. And it's sad that those who still insist on creating and maintaining the imbalances whine about the other side logging. What sort of fun do you think they're having when it's 2 or 3 to 1 whereever they go?

You are not getting hit with ENY because the other side doesn't have as many players- you are getting hit with ENY because you insist on being on the side with numbers. This attempt to blame the lesser numbers country(ies) is just idiotic.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2007, 04:22:33 AM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
What you have seen in the last 10 or 11 months is nothing compared to what things were like in the past. And it's sad that those who still insist on creating and maintaining the imbalances whine about the other side logging. What sort of fun do you think they're having when it's 2 or 3 to 1 whereever they go?

You are not getting hit with ENY because the other side doesn't have as many players- you are getting hit with ENY because you insist on being on the side with numbers. This attempt to blame the lesser numbers country(ies) is just idiotic.

Funny you should say something about people not having much fun when it's 3 to 1. Wasn't it you the other night that added one more plane to the 3 or 4 guys that was gang banging me when I was flying a Hurri 1?

I switched sides to the Knights yesterday because I was tired of dealing with 20 to 29 ENY.  Now granted the Nits were out numbered much of the time however you know what? I took a look in the other arena and guess who had the ENY there? The Nits.

So it's pretty obvious something isn't working like it's supposed to. It just shows that people want to be on the side with the big numbers so they can horde.

Something else I noticed while flying with Nits in orange. When I first switched sides Nits had a big horde at A18 (TT map) against bish. Bish had barely a half a bar of dar, yet their must have been 20 to 30 nits at A18.

Yet you look up north at the fight for A5 with the rooks and there were more rooks and only a hand full of nits. I know because that's where I was fighting. So to me it looked like you guys all just go where ever you can horde.

This was later confirmed when the bish got a CV close to A17. I moved down to the fight at A17 at that point. Next thing you know there is only a handful of nits at A17. I'd say 10 to 15 at best, with a crap load of bish swarming the feild.

Where did all the nits go? They were now up hoarding the rooks at A5 with a numbers advantage at that base because the Rooks were now heavily fighting Bish up in the north part of the map. So it seemed to me as soon as you guys don't have the numbers advantage you go elsewhere.

Now, I'm not going to say it's just a Nits thing, I know Rooks and Bish do the same sometimes. I've just been noticing a lot whenever I fight Nits it's always a horde fest it seems.

So as I said something isn't working right because it's far too easy for the horde to just move to another location.  That's why I suggest breaking up the map into segments and have ENY dependant on how many players are in that area.

As it is right now there is nothing that is doing anything to stop the horde fests as it's pretty clear even the team with the lowest numbers that's causing the ENY can still horde one of the other teams while ignoring the third.

So by having ENY dictation by location on the map, it would give a penalty to the guys trying to horde but give a benefit to the guys that went to the other areas of the map. In sense it would give a reason to go fight the other team.
"strafing"

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2007, 07:01:24 AM »
Funny you should say something about people not having much fun when it's 3 to 1. Wasn't it you the other night that added one more plane to the 3 or 4 guys that was gang banging me when I was flying a Hurri 1?

I switched sides to the Knights yesterday because I was tired of dealing with 20 to 29 ENY.  Now granted the Nits were out numbered much of the time however you know what? I took a look in the other arena and guess who had the ENY there? The Nits.

So it's pretty obvious something isn't working like it's supposed to. It just shows that people want to be on the side with the big numbers so they can horde.

Something else I noticed while flying with Nits in orange. When I first switched sides Nits had a big horde at A18 (TT map) against bish. Bish had barely a half a bar of dar, yet their must have been 20 to 30 nits at A18.

Yet you look up north at the fight for A5 with the rooks and there were more rooks and only a hand full of nits. I know because that's where I was fighting. So to me it looked like you guys all just go where ever you can horde.

This was later confirmed when the bish got a CV close to A17. I moved down to the fight at A17 at that point. Next thing you know there is only a handful of nits at A17. I'd say 10 to 15 at best, with a crap load of bish swarming the feild.

Where did all the nits go? They were now up hoarding the rooks at A5 with a numbers advantage at that base because the Rooks were now heavily fighting Bish up in the north part of the map. So it seemed to me as soon as you guys don't have the numbers advantage you go elsewhere.

Now, I'm not going to say it's just a Nits thing, I know Rooks and Bish do the same sometimes. I've just been noticing a lot whenever I fight Nits it's always a horde fest it seems.

So as I said something isn't working right because it's far too easy for the horde to just move to another location.  That's why I suggest breaking up the map into segments and have ENY dependant on how many players are in that area.

As it is right now there is nothing that is doing anything to stop the horde fests as it's pretty clear even the team with the lowest numbers that's causing the ENY can still horde one of the other teams while ignoring the third.

So by having ENY dictation by location on the map, it would give a penalty to the guys trying to horde but give a benefit to the guys that went to the other areas of the map. In sense it would give a reason to go fight the other team.

It's all sides. Very hard to defeat human nature.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2007, 07:04:17 AM »
I don't think ENY will ever stop the horde mentality. To many people need the protection of numbers, even if it means they have to give up their beloved LA7.

ENY does exactly what it is suppose to do. It applies a handicap to the side with the numbers advantage. The reason this is needed, is too many have to stay in a pack for protection, and too many refuse to voluntarily switch sides to help even numbers (some squads will even kick members out for switching side:rolleyes:  )

Your not going to break up the hordes, your not going to get people to learn "skills" and build their confidence so they can fight with out the support of 20 of their closest friends, so you might as well just get use to the ENY restrictions, or ignore them and fly different planes, or switch sides.

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2007, 07:58:38 AM »
Originally posted by Bronk
It's all sides. Very hard to defeat human nature.

Bronk

Yes I know that, I'm not trying to say it's just the knights doing it. I know for a fact both Rook and Bish do the same. Only point I was making, was to show that even the team that's out numbered can very easily and actually  do horde, just the same as the higher numbered teams.

That's kinda the point behind the idea of dictating ENY by section rather than overall numbers. It's the only way that I can think of to penalize the horde.
"strafing"

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2007, 09:41:15 AM »

It doesn't appear that's the case. I don't have a kill on you, nor you on me. If I was one of them, was I the first one in, or the last one in?

On topic, ENY penalizes the side with numbers as it's setup now- one need only look at the whining to see this. What you want is, quite simply, a mechanism added to the game that allows you to fly with the horde, without suffering the penalty.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 09:43:45 AM by hubsonfire »
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2007, 11:17:03 AM »
Of course this is my own opinion, but I don't feel that ENY is the problem.  I feel that its the tower sitting that has become the problem.  Countless nights I see generally 20-40 players for each country just sitting in the tower.  I realize people have children, wives, and pets to attend to but I'd like to see autolog off for a preset amount of time. I think it could make things a little better.  But its just my 2 cents.
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline Tiger

• Nickel Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2007, 11:23:18 AM »
Originally posted by 5PointOh
Of course this is my own opinion, but I don't feel that ENY is the problem.  I feel that its the tower sitting that has become the problem.  Countless nights I see generally 20-40 players for each country just sitting in the tower.  I realize people have children, wives, and pets to attend to but I'd like to see autolog off for a preset amount of time. I think it could make things a little better.  But its just my 2 cents.

I agree, say a 5min you are afk in the tower, you are booted.

Nothing worse than being hit with ENY and checking the  numbers and seeing that one of the oterh countries has more number sin flight than you do.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2007, 11:24:50 AM »
Originally posted by Tiger
I agree, say a 5min you are afk in the tower, you are booted.

There are many field acks or SB's to sit in... or even just up a GV at a remote field.

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2007, 11:27:04 AM »
Good Point Lusche, I was thinking 30min in tower-Buh Bye.
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline whels

• Silver Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2007, 11:27:28 AM »
i also think the ENY problem is exacerbated by the
arena caps. most of the time  during day n early evening, ENY
will be high and stay because the low # country cant
lingers for longer periods.

Offline Tiger

• Nickel Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2007, 11:28:17 AM »
Originally posted by Lusche
There are many field acks or SB's to sit in... or even just up a GV at a remote field.

That's fine...  atleast you can at like you are contributing.  Look at the number son teh first post.  30+ people not inflight.

Add that and the arena caps, too many people wanting to get in to a certain areana with their squaddies for you to let people chill in the tower for hours on end.

As a conspiracy theory:
I wonder how many people have their shade accounts logged in and change its side to help bump up the ENY penalty?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2007, 11:33:55 AM »
Originally posted by Tiger

As a conspiracy theory:
I wonder how many people have their shade accounts logged in and change its side to help bump up the ENY penalty?

Not many, if none. A single player has usually not much influence on ENY numbers.

A shade is much more "useful" in other roles...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 11:36:34 AM by Lusche »