Author Topic: bogus ENY calculation  (Read 2284 times)

Offline sethipus

• Copper Member
bogus ENY calculation
« on: October 07, 2007, 02:15:50 AM »
Last Sunday, Sept. 30, in the evening in one of the Late War arenas, I think it was Orange, the Knights were getting rolled really badly, in part due to being massively outnumbered.

The ENY calculations were insanely low.  You know, sometimes I've looked at the ENY numbers and thought WTF, how can this be real.  This time I took screenshots of it.  Here are two crops from the screenshots.  The full screenshots are 1920x1200, so I gave you just the ENY details.  Btw, these two shots were taken 34 minutes apart from each other.  

I'd like to know how the Rooks could have 162% as many people on, and 213% as many people in the air, as the Knights, and only had an ENY of 10.5.  My God,  when Knights have come anywhere near these kinds of numerical advantages we've all been flying A6M2s and P-40s, and bombing with Bostons, for Heaven's Sake.  And in this case the Rooks couldn't fly what, Ponies or better?

What gives?  Why do the ENY values sometimes make so little sense?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 02:24:17 AM by sethipus »

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 02:31:07 AM »
I just ignore eny and fly my spitfires. :D

I'm not completly sure how ENY works but I do know that if one country has a certain total % then eny kicks in. Doesn't matter how many are flying for any country. At 40% total I think eny starts, and I believe each % has it's own set eny (not sure, I'm no expert on this).

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 02:33:29 AM »
InFlight has no bearing on ENY.

The QUESTION would be why are roughly 40% of the Knights sitting in the tower?

THAT'S what killed ya'.  Was there a mission about to roll or something?
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline sethipus

• Copper Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 02:35:40 AM »
Yeah, I mostly fly the Bf-109 K-4, so with it's ENY of 20 it's not terribly often, as a Knight, that I can't fly it.  So ENY doesn't limit me much personally.

But on a night like that, I'd rather not have had to face the 2:1 odds with so little real impact by ENY on the flying Rook hoarde.  Ok, it did take care of the LA-7 problem, but that's about it.

Offline sethipus

• Copper Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 02:40:53 AM »
Originally posted by WMLute
InFlight has no bearing on ENY.

The QUESTION would be why are roughly 40% of the Knights sitting in the tower?

THAT'S what killed ya'.  Was there a mission about to roll or something?

Nah, wasn't a mission.  I don't know why so many were in the tower.   If you notice, all sides had a lot in the tower.  Knights had a few more, but we were also being slapped around like ragdolls, so perhaps some people were just frustrated.

Still, even just looking at the numbers logged in, how can one justify a 6.7 ENY for 112 versus 74?  That's over 50% more people logged in, and the only planes they couldn't fly were the LA-7 and the Spixteen, and that's about it.  And then later there were 120 to 74 logged in.  That's 62% more people, for a whopping 10.5 ENY.

That's a bogus ENY value, IMHO.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 06:08:24 AM »
Originally posted by sethipus
many people on, and 213% as many people in the air, as the Knights, and only had an ENY of 10.5.  My God,  when Knights have come anywhere near these kinds of numerical advantages we've all been flying A6M2s and P-40s, and bombing with Bostons, for Heaven's Sake.  

This is simply not true. ENY limits are the same for every country.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 06:54:29 AM »
Originally posted by sethipus
Still, even just looking at the numbers logged in, how can one justify a 6.7 ENY for 112 versus 74?....
Technically this statement is incorrect.

It's 112 vs 156.

If the countries were dividing their efforts like they should it would be 56 rooks vs 41 bishops and 56 rooks vs 37 knights.

The imbalance is not as bad as you make it seem.

Now if the entire Rook nation was attacking the Knights, well there's not much that can be done about that except to change the mindset of the players.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 06:56:47 AM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Shiryu

• Zinc Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 07:34:51 AM »
Originally posted by NHawk
 and 56 rooks vs 37 knights.

You define having a 51% advantage in numbers as "not as bad"?

Funny :aok

Offline TalonX

• Silver Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 07:41:51 AM »
Technically this statement is incorrect.

It's 112 vs 156.

If the countries were dividing their efforts like they should it would be 56 rooks vs 41 bishops and 56 rooks vs 37 knights.

Now if the entire Rook nation was attacking the Knights, well there's not much that can be done about that except to change the mindset of the players.

If each side were balanced at say, 100, then by your math, it would be 100 vs 200.     The reality remains even if you split 50% against each side....in that case, 50 to 50 on each front.

The imbalance is properly considered by the total of the lowest team to the total of the highest team.  That does define the imbalance.
-TalonX

Forgotten, but back in the game.  :)

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 09:22:12 AM »
Originally posted by Shiryu
You define having a 51% advantage in numbers as "not as bad"?

Funny :aok
Try 34% :)

37 is 66% of 56. So Rooks would have a 34% advantage.

My point is that it's not the entire 112 Rooks vs the entire 74 Knights. If it were, the Bishops should have had a field day taking undefended Rook and Knight bases.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline yanksfan

• Silver Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 09:29:10 AM »

My point is that it's not the entire 112 Rooks vs the entire 74 Knights. If it were, the Bishops should have had a field day taking undefended Rook and Knight bases.

The way things have been of late, they prolly did,:rofl
ESTES- will you have my baby?
Ack-Ack -As long as we can name the baby Shuffler if it's a boy and Mensa if it's a girl.

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 09:33:32 AM »
Originally posted by yanksfan
The way things have been of late, they prolly did,:rofl
If that's the case then this is where ENY becomes unfair.

Let's just say that 102 Rooks were exclusively attacking the Knights. The other 10 are trying to defend against the Bishop attack. Those 10 could be severely penalized by ENY.

Offline Shiryu

• Zinc Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 09:34:12 AM »

56 is 151% of 37. hence the 51% difference.

I saw your point earlier, and i think it's invalid. All countries have to split their forces, the rooks do, and so do the knights and the bishes, the imbalance doesn't change.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 09:36:34 AM »
Originally posted by Shiryu
56 is 151% of 37. hence the 51% difference.
Either way is correct. It depends on how you look at it. :)

Offline Shiryu

• Zinc Member
bogus ENY calculation
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 09:41:47 AM »
I know, and wichever way you look at it the imbalance is quite heavy. Point is that if HTC has to put in any balancing factor like ENY, they should put it in so it actually does affect balance, otherwise it's useless to even put one in.