Author Topic: Out of the Closet  (Read 2572 times)

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Out of the Closet
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2007, 09:01:35 PM »
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Out of the Closet
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2007, 09:35:51 PM »
Daddy, what does that mean, Dumbledore is gay?

Well son, you know from the birds and the bees book how your mommie and daddy made you, right?

Yes daddy.

Well, Dumbledore takes his ^$^^%$$ and instead of finding a woman to make a baby with, he finds another man and puts his %&#% in the other man's &$^&.

Why would he do that daddy? Doesn't that mean he can't make a baby?

Nobody knows why gay people do that son, nobody really knows for sure.

I'm glad you aren't gay daddy, because then I wouldn't be alive.

Me too son, me too.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
Out of the Closet
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2007, 09:49:52 PM »
1K3, wallowing in your smug self-righteousness has blinded you to the central point of the thread.  

My two sons may be older than you are.  They were never taught to hate anyone, regardless of race, creed, religion, or sexual orientation.

No one in my family ever carried torches and a rope through the street, burned crosses on anyone's lawn, or beat up gays and lesbians.

Live and let live...and all that.

However, sexual orientation is a volatile issue for many people, who prefer that their children not become involved in until they are of sufficient age to form their own opinions.  

What purpose is served, other than influencing the young and impressionable, by turning a popular grandfatherly figure into something that many find inappropriate for children's literature.  True, there was no hint of Dumbledore's sexual orientation in the novels.  That is as it should be, for modern children are inundated with sexual images at every turn, and at far too early an age to deal with it.  In that regard, modern media entertainment has become pure trash.  This statement has cheapened Rowling's accomplishments, and tainted what is undoubtedly some of the finest children's literature ever written.

For Heaven's sake, can't we at least keep at least one form of children's entertainment free of politically correct sexual dogma?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 09:53:01 PM by Shuckins »

storch

Out of the Closet
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2007, 10:11:46 PM »
I have pretty good self control.  notice I didn't act upon my impulse.  I could have gotten away with it too, they don't have cameras... yet.  I have never bashed a feg either, even when I was younger.  that would be close hitting a woman, there is nothing good that could come from it, its a losing proposition no matter the outcome.

sob, they probably didn't even know I was present as I was about thirty yards away.  I think they were saying goodbye in an inappropriate manner.  it would be inappropriate if it were a hetero couple.  two men made it repugnant to me as well as inappropriate.

I don't understand why some gay people need to push there homosexuality into the public's face as it were.  I could care less what anyone does and one's sexual practices are none of my or anyone else's business.  while the media and pinheads like some posters here on this obscure BBS would have you believe that homosexuality is ok however I'm convinced that there is, has and always will be a stygma associated with homosexuality.  homosexuals know this also.  why do you think so many homosexuals are fairly messed up people?  as much as they would have us believe, they are generally anything but gay.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Out of the Closet
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2007, 10:12:37 PM »
"Speaking at Carnegie Hall on Friday night in her first U.S. tour in seven years, Rowling confirmed what some fans had always suspected -- that she "always thought Dumbledore was gay", reported entertainment Web site E! Online.

Rowling said Dumbledore fell in love with the charming wizard Gellert Grindelwald but when Grindelwald turned out to be more interested in the dark arts than good, Dumbledore was "terribly let down" and went on to destroy his rival.

That love, she said, was Dumbledore's "great tragedy".

"Falling in love can blind us to an extent," she said.

The audience reportedly fell silent after the admission -- then erupted into applause.

Rowling, 42, said if she had known that would be the response, she would have revealed her thoughts on Dumbledore earlier."

http://uk.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUKN2052004020071020?feedType=RSS&feedName=entertainmentNews

Is this really an assault on decency? Character motivation. Character is a homosexual. Character's sexuality is kept obscure. A fan asks a question. The author answers. Homophobes, worldwide, simultaneously shat chickens.

Is there no refuge from the great homosexual onslaught our children are forced to endure?!

Rejoice and relax, Harry is still hetero. ;)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Out of the Closet
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2007, 10:19:25 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
I've read none of the books but I have seen some of the movies. This may sound wrong/silly but I say that simply because she created and wrote the series does not entitle her to pronounce, after the fact, the sexual orientation of a character if she did not write that into the story.

It didn't have to be in any of the stories that he was gay.  It was part of the character's biography when she created the character.  She is also the author and that entitles her to make any comments about her books whenever or however she likes.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Out of the Closet
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2007, 10:20:23 PM »
Uh, love between males does not equal homosexuality. Sex between them does.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Out of the Closet
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2007, 10:22:31 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
It didn't have to be in any of the stories that he was gay.  It was part of the character's biography when she created the character.  She is also the author and that entitles her to make any comments about her books whenever or however she likes.

ack-ack

I misspoke. She is entitled to make whatever comments she wants, as am I or anyone else about her fiction.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Out of the Closet
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2007, 10:24:33 PM »
Uh, love between males does not equal homosexuality. Sex between them does.

I see you trying to make a point and falling a bit short. I was a heterosexual long before I had sex. And I don't see where homosexuals can't feel the love I've felt in my life, though the target of their affection is of the same gender as they. Those feelings do not require consumation to be genuine. But, hey, you already bought the shovel, I reckon. :)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Out of the Closet
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2007, 10:31:43 PM »
Originally posted by Arlo
I see you trying to make a point and falling a bit short. I was a heterosexual long before I had sex. And I don't see where homosexuals can't feel the love I've felt in my life, though the target of their affection is of the same gender as they. Those feelings do not require consumation to be genuine. But, hey, you already bought the shovel, I reckon. :)

I think my point was made complete. Her claim that her character was gay is unsubstantiated in any of her stories. Sounds like nothing more than a cheap PC ploy to me. If she really wanted him to be gay then she was too much the coward to make that clear before she finished the series and made her hundreds of millions. I didn't especially like the movies and my kids are all grown. I couldn't care much less if she had the whole school engaging in sex with wild pigs.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Out of the Closet
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2007, 10:36:23 PM »
I think my point was made complete.

Yeah, I'm sure you do.

Her claim that her character was gay is unsubstantiated in any of her stories. Sounds like nothing more than a cheap PC ploy to me. If she really wanted him to be gay then she was too much the coward to make that clear before she finished the series and made her hundreds of millions. I didn't especially like the movies and my kids are all grown. I couldn't care much less if she had the whole school engaging in sex with wild pigs.

Only point I see you actually making is that you're upset over the revelation. The one you're struggling to make is you questioning the author's motives. The first is a given. The second, is just what you're giving.

;)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 10:43:52 PM by Arlo »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Out of the Closet
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2007, 10:55:21 PM »
Yeah, I'm sure you do.

Only point I see you actually making is that you're upset over the revelation. The one you're struggling to make is you questioning the author's motives. The first is a given. The second, is just what you're giving.

;)

Struggling? Nah. I just think she's trying to push PC and I always find that repugnant.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Out of the Closet
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2007, 10:58:20 PM »
Struggling? Nah. I just think she's trying to push PC and I always find that repugnant.

You perceive it to be that. You want/choose to feel the way you do. That's not proving a point. That's expressing an opinion. And ignoring that she's still the author of the piece and she knows her characters better than you. If you don't have an axe to grind .... then grinding something else, you'd think, would be painful. :aok

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Out of the Closet
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2007, 11:03:51 PM »
You perceive it to be that. You want/choose to feel the way you do. That's not proving a point. That's expressing an opinion. And ignoring that she's still the author of the piece and she knows her characters better than you. If you don't have an axe to grind .... stop grinding it. :aok

Having not read any of the books I certainly won't argue she knows her characters better than I. However, I have seen a few of the movies and I know and have read about others who have read the books and they are quite surprised to hear her say this. I'm just shootin' the breeze here. Why are you suggesting I'm grinding an axe?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Out of the Closet
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2007, 11:07:02 PM »
Why are you suggesting I'm grinding an axe?

You projecting a motive to get repugnant over seems more than a subtle hint. ;)