Author Topic: Music Piracy  (Read 1140 times)

Gristle

Re: Re: Music Piracy
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2007, 11:50:22 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
Originally posted by Gristle
Hello,

My name is Gristle and I'm a thief

ack-ack

I actually never posted that I only brought this up for some discussion, I have purchased all of the albums that I downloaded and liked, the others I have done away with or are hiding in some abandoned folder, no need to flame me; that was kind of mean.

Originally posted by Ack-Ack
The law is the same here in the States.  You are allowed to make one back up copy of any copyrighted material you purchase.  So if you buy a book, you can legally make a copy of it, same with a video game and music.

ack-ack

And you can download music or any other copyrighted material, but it must be removed from your hard drive within 24 hours.

Originally posted by Hap
My guess is thieving has been legitimized in this thread.

That about right?

No its much more than that, I wanted it as an exploration of idea's about music piracy and possibly some competent solutions. At least that’s what I hoped for, even if it wasn’t directly addressed.

Originally posted by LEADPIG
I'm glad the thread is here, i do love a heated discussion :)

Hopefully it stays a discussion and not a flame fest.

No need to insult people on forums it's pointless and really helps nothing.

Negativity spreads like S.A.R.S. in the world.

Offline Snubby

• Copper Member
Music Piracy
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2007, 12:21:50 AM »
I haven't purchased a CD in 6 years, and have no plans to.

the closest thing to paying for music I do is XM Radio.

I don't have gigs upon gigs of music though..  I think I may have 20 songs on my PC total right now..

I usually just look at station's play lists and download whatever songs i like, or if I hear something on XM or the radio I like, Ill DL it..

its wrong, i know it, I dont try and defend it..

but im not going to drop whats = to a month of AH for a CD containing only 2 or 3 songs I actually like..

and of course, if you buy a CD or even put songs you like on a CD, immediately every radio station will start playing them, and run them into the ground for you..

:furious

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Music Piracy
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2007, 12:25:44 AM »
Originally posted by Snubby
I usually just look at station's play lists and download whatever songs i like, or if I hear something on XM or the radio I like, Ill DL it..

Interestingly enough you could legally record the same songs of the broadcast, but it becomes illegal if you download them.

More interestingly, the industry tried to ban even that kind of copying in the past when C- and VHS-casettes made their debut.

Where's the compromise today?

Offline Snubby

• Copper Member
Music Piracy
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2007, 12:31:46 AM »
Originally posted by Fishu
Interestingly enough you could legally record the same songs of the broadcast, but it becomes illegal if you download them.

More interestingly, the industry tried to ban even that kind of copying in the past when C- and VHS-casettes made their debut.

Where's the compromise today?

Yea, when... IF... they come out im going to upgrade to an XM radio that has memory that will PERMANATLY save (not just pause like they do now) songs, assuming the RIAA doesent get the technology buried, which is what they are trying to do.

Offline gunnss

• Nickel Member
      • https://grantvillegazette.com/wp/lastname-firstname/evans-kevin-h/
Music Piracy
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2007, 12:46:02 AM »
The whole piracy DRM thing is really a front for Disney, they are about to lose the copy right to "Micky Mouse" and are trying to defend the cash cow. Here is a link to a series of articles by Eric Flint, about copy right and open access.
Enjoy
http://www.baens-universe.com/authors/Eric_Flint

Disclaimer, Eric sometimes pays me for what I write, so I am biased...
Kevin
5,486 HP 110 MPH @500 tons
My other "ride"
http://nmslrhs.org/Photos/photos.php
Alt History, The butterfly made me do it.....
https://grantvillegazette.com/wp/lastname-firstname/evans-kevin-h/

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Music Piracy
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2007, 02:09:19 AM »
Im not so sure anyone is legitimising it as much as pointing out that the record companies through their shortsighted greed are in large part creators of their own problem.

I see a lot of that going on in this thread as well. I also read the article that was linked in the first post and believe that was the same point being made there.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.