Author Topic: Music Piracy  (Read 1141 times)

Gristle

Music Piracy
« on: October 27, 2007, 04:22:52 AM »
Alright i admit it i steal music and say what you like about it. it is revolutionizing how people look and feel about music, as well as opening up new doors for GREAT artists. The only site I have ever used for downloading music has been Oink.cd, and this torrent site recently got what was coming to it, but I feel that it has been in bad form, once again think what you will but please read this article. as it is a great two sided argument.
Beware though it isn't un-biased it is on OINKS side, but still if you have 30 minutes and Loved music, or you are upset with pirating music anyway just read it.

When pigs fly.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Music Piracy
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 04:41:37 AM »
You reap what you sow..
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Music Piracy
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 05:15:03 AM »
I have roughly 85GB of mp3's on my HD.   More than 75% are ripped from my own CD collection.   The other 25% is from torrents, and almost every download has spawned a purchase of a CD, that I normally wouldn't have had exposure to.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
Music Piracy
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 05:44:15 AM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
... almost every download has spawned a purchase of a CD, that I normally wouldn't have had exposure to.

Only one? :D
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Music Piracy
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 09:48:53 AM »
Originally posted by moot
Only one? :D
no silly.  :cool:
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Music Piracy
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 11:10:05 AM »
I know very little about what’s happening in the music industry and have virtually no experience downloading music legally or illegally.  I’ve spent some time downloading .wav file sound effects, but not really music.  I like music, but I can’t say that I’m a fan and I pretty much don’t buy CD’s either (except maybe at garage sales for $1).  

That being said, I read the guy’s rant and found it very enlightening and informative.  Although he’s trying to justify something that is wrong, I think that he is right about the future of music and the recording labels.  Personally, I think the main reason why I stopped buying music is because it’s just too darned expensive.  

I especially like this quote:
So the next question is, what now?

For the major labels, it's over. It's ****ing over. You're going to burn to the ****ing ground, and we're all going to dance around the fire. And it's your own fault. Surely, somewhere deep inside, you had to know this day was coming, right? Your very industry is founded on an unfair business model of owning art you didn't create in exchange for the services you provide. It's rigged so that you win every time - even if the artist does well, you do ten times better. It was able to exist because you controlled the distribution, but now that's back in the hands of the people, and you let the ball drop when you could have evolved.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Music Piracy
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 01:03:10 PM »
I used to download a lot of music (back in the Kazaa days) and it introduced me to a lot of bands I had no idea existed who'se music I love.

However, I have not purchased any CD's in many years.

Reasons?

1 - While I like the band, I do not like all their songs. I do not like to be forced to purchase a $15 CD just because it has 2 of the songs I like.

2- The internet allows me to download the single song I like and I can burn my own CD's.

3- Record companies monopolize the artist's creation. There are many great bands out there that 'didnt make it' because the big record companies snuffed them. I wish I could pay the artist directly not a megacorporation.

With the introduction of MP3 players and I-tunes type services, the record companies no longer dictate my purchases.In fact, ever since Itunes came out I've purchased about 3 cd's worth of music..and every single song is one I wanted to own.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Music Piracy
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 01:08:50 PM »
Originally posted by eskimo2
Although he’s trying to justify something that is wrong, I think that he is right about the future of music and the recording labels.  Personally, I think the main reason why I stopped buying music is because it’s just too darned expensive.

I didn't ever even get into the music just because it costs way too much. Didn't even have to start downloading music because it was too much of a hassle to find out what's good music without prior knowledge. Buying an expensive album is same as buying a pig in a sack or a horse without checking it's teeth.

If there would be a legal subscription based music service without DRM crapola I would most likely sign up and see what fits for me. Trying out and paying for each try is too expensive. Neither do I like DRM - If I purchase a license to listen music I want the songs to be available to me at all times now and 10 years afterwards in any device of my choice.

In the worst case scenario DRM can cause songs to become useless bytes on harddrive if the license server goes out of business or changes it's address. The alternative is to be restricted to certain platforms and devices only. Neither option is acceptable to me.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Music Piracy
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 06:00:06 PM »
Originally posted by moot
You reap what you sow..

you talking about the pirates or the music industry :)

Gristle

Music Piracy
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 06:38:10 PM »
Personally, i think that it is futile to attempt sueing pirates

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
Music Piracy
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 07:07:32 PM »
Originally posted by Gristle
Personally, i think that it is futile to attempt sueing pirates
Yes it surely is. There are at least 100.000 downloaders for every one getting sued. Here in Finland they have been targeting the guys who distribute the new releases, which doesn't seem to be working. I admit I might download the new records I'm interested in, but on the other hand if I really like one I will buy it, preferably on a CD - you can say I'm old fashioned, but I like to have the cover leaflets with the music...
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
Music Piracy
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 07:12:54 PM »
i have a lare stack of  CDs. i buy CDs, because i cannot stand the piss-poor quality of downloaded music.

"If there would be a legal subscription based music service without DRM crapola I would most likely sign up and see what fits for me.  is"

last.fm has a very nice  radio function.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
Music Piracy
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 04:33:40 PM »
Both Vulcan.  The whole thing can't be over soon enough.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Music Piracy
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 05:51:47 PM »
The movie and music monopolies are slowly but surely bending. R5 releases in Eastern Europe are proof that there is only one way to beat piracy.

Gristle

Music Piracy
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 06:12:09 PM »
Originally posted by Panzzer
Yes it surely is. There are at least 100.000 downloaders for every one getting sued. Here in Finland they have been targeting the guys who distribute the new releases, which doesn't seem to be working. I admit I might download the new records I'm interested in, but on the other hand if I really like one I will buy it, preferably on a CD - you can say I'm old fashioned, but I like to have the cover leaflets with the music...

i think everyone, well at least a large portion of the people want the physical part of the cd, the leaftlets/artwork/cool cover art/ and easily cracked jewel case.