Author Topic: It takes a Frenchman to see the greatness in the USA  (Read 4225 times)

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
It takes a Frenchman to see the greatness in the USA
« on: November 08, 2007, 07:30:50 PM »
One of the best speeches I've seen since Reagan in 1964, Sarkozy is a stand-up guy:aok
America did not tell the millions of men and women who came from every country in the world and who—with their hands, their intelligence and their heart—built the greatest nation in the world: "Come, and everything will be given to you." She said: "Come, and the only limits to what you'll be able to achieve will be your own courage and your own talent." America embodies this extraordinary ability to grant each and every person a second chance.

Here, both the humblest and most illustrious citizens alike know that nothing is owed to them and that everything has to be earned. That's what constitutes the moral value of America. America did not teach men the idea of freedom; she taught them how to practice it. And she fought for this freedom whenever she felt it to be threatened somewhere in the world. It was by watching America grow that men and women understood that freedom was possible.

What made America great was her ability to transform her own dream into hope for all mankind.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The men and women of my generation heard their grandparents talk about how in 1917, America saved France at a time when it had reached the final limits of its strength, which it had exhausted in the most absurd and bloodiest of wars.

The men and women of my generation heard their parents talk about how in 1944, America returned to free Europe from the horrifying tyranny that threatened to enslave it.

Fathers took their sons to see the vast cemeteries where, under thousands of white crosses so far from home, thousands of young American soldiers lay who had fallen not to defend their own freedom but the freedom of all others, not to defend their own families, their own homeland, but to defend humanity as a whole.

Fathers took their sons to the beaches where the young men of America had so heroically landed. They read them the admirable letters of farewell that those 20-year-old soldiers had written to their families before the battle to tell them: "We don't consider ourselves heroes. We want this war to be over. But however much dread we may feel, you can count on us." Before they landed, Eisenhower told them: "The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you."

And as they listened to their fathers, watched movies, read history books and the letters of soldiers who died on the beaches of Normandy and Provence, as they visited the cemeteries where the star-spangled banner flies, the children of my generation understood that these young Americans, 20 years old, were true heroes to whom they owed the fact that they were free people and not slaves. France will never forget the sacrifice of your children.

To those 20-year-old heroes who gave us everything, to the families of those who never returned, to the children who mourned fathers they barely got a chance to know, I want to express France's eternal gratitude.

On behalf of my generation, which did not experience war but knows how much it owes to their courage and their sacrifice; on behalf of our children, who must never forget; to all the veterans who are here today and, notably the seven I had the honor to decorate yesterday evening, one of whom, Senator Inouye, belongs to your Congress, I want to express the deep, sincere gratitude of the French people. I want to tell you that whenever an American soldier falls somewhere in the world, I think of what the American army did for France. I think of them and I am sad, as one is sad to lose a member of one's family.

oops, fergot  link
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 07:51:16 PM by bj229r »
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 07:34:35 PM »
remember to say thanks to Marquis de Lafayette...

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 07:47:54 PM »
That was good.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 07:52:47 PM »
That is a very gracious speech. Sounds like we really do have a change in the future about how our two countries will work together.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 08:18:44 PM »
A very good speech and I think this guy will end up being one of the better leaders of this century. I like some of the other stuff this guy has done and he seems to actually have a clue as to how to be a real politician for his country rather than for an agenda.

I've always felt it was pretty stupid the whole US vs France BS because of the war on terror. Leaders should know, that just because you don't agree on policies doesn't mean your countries can't still work together and be friendly to each other.

Hopefully Bush is smart enough to return the friendly attitude with out expecting too much in return. America has a lot to offer France and France has a lot to offer America.
"strafing"

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 08:22:45 PM »
A nice speech, but I don't agree with the title to this thread.  A lot of Americans see the greatness in the USA.  Granted most of them are conservatives, the liberals spend most of their time fixating on the negatives, but many Americans proudly affirm their love of their nation and know without doubt that America is the greatest nation on earth.

It's nice to see a Frenchman acknowledge it.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 08:23:25 PM »
Overtime hours paid 125%, with those 25% extra untaxed, yeah, I'm happier than I woulda been with Duchesse Royal...
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 09:09:33 PM »
Yes, I was really taken with his speech.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Excel1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 10:29:02 PM »
jeez.. it must tough to get a green card these days

and i'm still waiting for him to invade iran

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 05:57:20 AM »
It was a nice press conferance. Nice to see a French president that swallows his national pride and gives respect when due. Chirac wanted to make America understand that France was a powerfull nation by a rather systematic "over my dead body" approach. Granteed on many subjects he was actually right, one doesn't have to be in someone's way to gain respect. It's also true that one doesn't have to be a puppy to gain respect either. time will tell where Sarkozy stands, and how America will treat France.

Quite a disparity in the speacking abilities between Sarkozy's enounciation and timed sentence rythm, and Bush's hesitant schoolyard talk.

Dago, not trying to be provocative, but I met quite a number of Americans that bark that they are the greatest, but yet fail to understand why ... and even fail to live by the principles that created such a great nation. i think that's what the title of the thread means.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 06:00:04 AM by SFRT - Frenchy »
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

storch

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 06:20:06 AM »
well all I say is he's a politian after all  come now france, give it up :D

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 09:08:51 AM »
I think your-0-peans make the best speeches....

Except for our actors.. our actors turned conservative politicians give good speeches.

action is good tho.   weeping over dead is good... helping them in their fight is better.

lazs

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 06:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by SFRT - Frenchy
It was a nice press conferance. Nice to see a French president that swallows his national pride and gives respect when due. Chirac wanted to make America understand that France was a powerfull nation by a rather systematic "over my dead body" approach. Granteed on many subjects he was actually right, one doesn't have to be in someone's way to gain respect. It's also true that one doesn't have to be a puppy to gain respect either. time will tell where Sarkozy stands, and how America will treat France.

Quite a disparity in the speacking abilities between Sarkozy's enounciation and timed sentence rythm, and Bush's hesitant schoolyard talk.

Dago, not trying to be provocative, but I met quite a number of Americans that bark that they are the greatest, but yet fail to understand why ... and even fail to live by the principles that created such a great nation. i think that's what the title of the thread means.

Yah, I had really meant that SOOOOOoo many here in the US don't seem to see any of the good stuff because they are transfixed on the bad...classic case of not knowing how good you have it. (I'll let you all figure out who the afore-mentioned 'many' are) I don't know that Sarkozy 'swallowed' France's pride, he was just being courteous (Something lost in international politics) on the eve of Veteran's Day, and in 3500 words, Sarkozy never once mentioned Iraq, a subject best left untouched, I'd imagine. I've seen a few reports of some of his new policies in place, and on the whole, my opinion of France has gone up 100% since Chirac left:) (I'd ALSO imagine many in France will feel same when Bush leaves and Billary comes in)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 07:09:59 PM »
Yeah, I don't think he was swallowing pride either.
In fact, every ounce of what he said was exactly the opposite ~ not so much in his words as in his expressions.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 08:36:29 PM »
I don't think one has to swallow pride to express gratitude of the sacrifices of many in the defense against tyranny and oppression.