Author Topic: noob scolding  (Read 2676 times)

Offline Bucky73

• Silver Member
noob scolding
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2007, 01:17:30 PM »
I don't mind helping anyone that has a question as long as they appear to have made an effort to learn the game a bit before playing it. "How do I start the engine?" is not a question I will answer because this person obviously hasn't done ANY reading or training. Is it really that hard to READ a little before you play? sheeeeeesh!
I don't have a problem with questions such as "how high do I have to be to drop troops?" or "How do I drop bombs through a sight with accuracy?"

Typical of many people these days.(the majority of which seem to be the younger crowd) They just want it explained to them or handed to them like a child and refuse to put any effort into it themselves. Heck, I played offline for a week before I even entered the MA and when I finally did I spent my first few days "flying" nowhere near a fight. I also had a reference sheet from netaces.org printed out so I knew what all the commands where. (as most will easily find if they *cough* READ. I also learned alot by just reading the country text and following obvious "vets" around quietly and watching how they played.

Just a little effort is all I'd ask for:aok

Offline ded

• Copper Member
noob scolding
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2007, 01:18:29 PM »
It's stupid elitism that has bled over from other games.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
noob scolding
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2007, 01:34:11 PM »
Originally posted by ded
It's stupid elitism that has bled over from other games.

Good point, I think. Add to that, it's quite a shock to the "kiddies" when they discover just how steep the learning curve really is here.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline MajIssue

• Silver Member
      • "False Prophets"
noob scolding
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2007, 02:00:52 PM »
Originally posted by SkyRock
:aok

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEK:rofl
X.O. False Prophets
Altitude is Life
If you keep ignoring "Wife Ack" it will go away.

Offline KayBayRay

• Copper Member
noob scolding
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
Just my thoughts on this subjet... :cool:

IMHO this is just the result of Poor Toilet Training on the part of those that choose to verbally slap those around that dont  know or understand something.

Shooting your mouth off at somebody that does not know how to do something or doesnt understand how something works in this game is a reflection of the stupidity, ignorance and arrogance of those doing it.  It does nothing to help those that are asking for help. If it is disturbing to you that somebody asks a question in a MA then answer the question and their pleas will cease.

My advice to those that are either new or perhaps dont know something and ask in game about it is to ignore those that vomit on you verbally. Pay attention to those that take a few seconds and try to answer your question. These are the players that will make your time in game more fun and you can really learn from them because they are willing to share what they know.

Later,
KayBay
See ya in the Sky !!

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
Re: noob scolding
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2007, 02:18:59 PM »
Originally posted by Anaxogoras
Tell me this isn't normal.  

Yup, completely normal.  We have normal people playing this game (at least a few...)(although, come to think of it, I'm the only truly normal person I've ever met...) so we're stuck with normal problems.

Think of the new players like little kids.  Very inexperienced and full of questions.  Not usually aware of the proper places to find answers on their own, and find it easier to ask an adult.  Some of the questions are "good" and insightful, others are stupid and annoying.  These guys need a lot of information, and hopefully have sponge-like brains.

We also have adults playing this game ("vets" is the accepted term, although I chaff a bit when the term is applied to me.  My grandfathyer was a vet- I'm not...).  As adults, we're expected to have all the answers, and to supply them readily.  We have the choice to give out good answers or to distort things as our feeble old minds dictate.  Hopefully in the end we do more good than harm.  The beauty of being seen as an adult, is that even if we don't know our *** from our elbow, we're still seen by the young'uns as "all wise and knowing".  I've trained my own kids to realize that I am ALWAYS right, even when mom may erroneously appear "more right".

We also have the middle group playing this game.  The "adolescents".  Like teens, some are further along on the path to adulthood.  Regardless, all are desperate to be grouped in the "adult" or at least "young adult" category.  They're still a bit clumsy though, and you need to be a bit careful when following their advice.  They're trying to impress the adults by displaying their knowledge (adultness), but aren't quite ready to leave the safety of their position amongst the young'uns, so need to temper tehir transition to adulthood with a few "Alt-tabs".

In AH, the transition from Newb to Vet can be very quick.  Or a never ending quest.

The difference between AH and RL is that AH is a constant halloween party, with everyone in disguise.  You have to pick out the age groups on your own, without the benefit of size-differential.

Welcome to the game!

MtnMan
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
noob scolding
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2007, 02:27:57 PM »
Originally posted by thndregg
Good point, I think. Add to that, it's quite a shock to the "kiddies" when they discover just how steep the learning curve really is here.

It's not so much the steepness of the curve that's the issue.  

It's the fact that the grade is made of polished sheet metal, and they make us wear greased felt-soled shoes on our otherwise naked bodies.  They then have the gall to line the grade with razor blades, thumbtacks, roofing nails, small jagged rocks, a bit of foul-smelling slime, and exposed high-voltage wires.

It's truly sick!  We're not payed enough to do this!

MtnMan
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2007, 02:53:40 PM »
A little while ago I witnessed a new player getting chewed out on the country channel for asking some questions about base capture.  One guy was so offended that he took it upon himself to pontificate about reading the manual online, and kept going and going... with a final quip to the likes of "vets like me shouldn't have to suffer these noobs."

Strangely enough, hardly anyone objected to this behavior.

Tell me this isn't normal.  Years back I played WB 1.x and 2.x, and new players were usually welcomed because of the new life they brought to the game (we also liked to shoot them down).:lol

hydrolik isn't a "vet". I checked back...granted only a few months... and this is his 3rd month here. Most likely he was mouthing off because he didn't know the answers the newbi was asking and he was embarrassed  :D

In most cases its "kids" doing this mouthing off. Its the only place they can, because in real life should one talk like that they would get the crap kicked out of them.

I think when this stuff starts happening in the arenas, someone should request everyone squelch this guy on the channel, then everyone ignore them. Yelling back just turns them on, ignoring them will really tweak them off :t

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
noob scolding
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2007, 04:08:21 PM »
Radier73 was just flat frikin rude to a squaddie of mine today....when called to the =mat about ithis answer was "I hate new names so Im rude to them" . Something to that effect.....I was filming a fflight at the time....

This is total B.S..

Personally I don't mind answring questions....lending a hand where I can.....If I don't feel like hearing a bunch of it I squelch it.

Certain people....(yes I know detune 200) need to learn manners....civility...and being a contributing member in a good way...instead of being a contributing member of the "I;ll be a dik to all " club.
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2007, 05:06:23 PM »
A little while ago I witnessed a new player getting chewed out on the country channel for asking some questions about base capture.  One guy was so offended that he took it upon himself to pontificate about reading the manual online, and kept going and going... with a final quip to the likes of "vets like me shouldn't have to suffer these noobs."

Strangely enough, hardly anyone objected to this behavior.

Tell me this isn't normal.  Years back I played WB 1.x and 2.x, and new players were usually welcomed because of the new life they brought to the game (we also liked to shoot them down).:lol

i dont think u relize, when noobs come in and ask questions every 5 seconds and u r in a dog fight and they spam the chat it gets kinda anoying.... which is y i say GO TO THE TA, i think all new ppl must go to TA for atleast 1 day b4 going into any other arenas

-BigBOBCH
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2007, 05:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Anaxogoras quoting the open channel
"vets like me shouldn't have to suffer these noobs."

A game "Vet" is not just based on time in game.  
It is not just level of skill.
It is not just depth of knowledge.
It is attitude, and a combination of all the above.

I have a word to describe the person who said that, and it's not "Vet".

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
noob scolding
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2007, 05:56:24 PM »
Only thing noobs need to know is to hit Alt +f4 the make the plane fly easier.
"strafing"

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: noob scolding
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2007, 06:12:37 PM »
Originally posted by redman555
i dont think u relize, when noobs come in and ask questions every 5 seconds and u r in a dog fight and they spam the chat it gets kinda anoying.... which is y i say GO TO THE TA, i think all new ppl must go to TA for atleast 1 day b4 going into any other arenas

-BigBOBCH

Translation:

I can barely speak English, let alone answer questions. I'm too busy being a tard and PMing people who kill me.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
noob scolding
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2007, 06:16:01 PM »
Originally posted by crockett
Only thing noobs need to know is to hit Alt +f4 the make the plane fly easier.
:rolleyes:
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
noob scolding
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2007, 06:20:03 PM »
If a newbie does something wrong like blowing a NOE or CV position, a polite message hardly ever works.  I say get the newbie and shag him.... shag him ard  :eek:

When that one guys $15 screws up 10 to 20 guys other $15 he really needs shaggin.  The newbie will think twice next time :aok
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 06:25:50 PM by LYNX »