Author Topic: Ground Detail  (Read 2026 times)

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 07:37:50 PM »
I like to play legit and get my kills by being better than the other guy. However if they start lobbing shells at me from a place I know they can't see me. Well I'll do it right back.

:rolleyes:
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 07:51:34 PM »
Too many people think that if they can't see someone, they can't be seen.  That's not always the case.

However, forcing a game setting on people who's systems may not be able to handle it penalizes them for no other reason than you don't particularly like something some one else does.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline SFCHONDO

• Silver Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2007, 09:10:59 PM »
Originally posted by ROC
Too many people think that if they can't see someone, they can't be seen.  That's not always the case.

However, forcing a game setting on people who's systems may not be able to handle it penalizes them for no other reason than you don't particularly like something some one else does.

The ones with better PCs shouldn't be penalized either by having it to where you can get rid of all objects. You would have to have one seriously crappy PC to not be able to play the GV game in AH with objects rendered. And the percentage of people playing this game with that crappy a PC shouldn't be a factor for how the game is designed. Those people just need to upgrade or go play on-line poker.
        HONDO
DENVER BRONCOS    

Retired from AH

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 09:12:14 PM »
Originally posted by ROC

Well as it was suggested above, if they can turn down quality settings, then it should also affect their ability to see the GV's at a distance. If they can't see the trees or the barn the GV is next too, well then it's not unreasonable to say they shouldn't see the GV either. Don't yea think that's more than fair?

Another thing.. before I built my new system. I ran this game on a Radeon 9800 pro  video card, in a PC that I built in 2003. I used to get on average of 20 -30 FPS but was often much less at times. Reguardless I still didn't have any issues running full detail in GV's. This was even after the terrain upgrades and when people used to puff smoke like crazy to hide behind.
"strafing"

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Ground Detail
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2007, 09:28:04 PM »
Originally posted by ROC

Yep.... if your gonna force anything, it would have to be LOW detail.  Personally, I wish they'd "force" GV's into their own separate arena and get this thing back to "air".

:)

Tumor
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2007, 11:49:01 PM »
Don't yea think that's more than fair?

No, I don't think that's more fair.

The games draw rate is based on planes.  The GVs get the same draw rates going 35mph as planes do going 200+

Now, what you are suggesting is that when you reduce the draw rate of the clutter on the ground then the vehicles disappear.  Well, that means when those rates are reduced to make the clutter go away so that the plane performance improves then the planes would also go away at the same distance the GVs went away, but since the planes go faster it would severely hamper the playability of the air war.  Those pesky planes up there would simply pop up a whole lot quicker considering they are flying so much faster.

Now, you could devise a completely different performance system for ground.

That would of course put a great deal of effort into the staff time to counter this minimal element in the game, which again, is a Flight Based Game.

So no, because some people are petty in a vehicle is no reason to change the drawing system that will adversely affect the majority of the players.

Personally, I'd prefer that the developers spend time on new planes and maps then wasting it on such a minor problem in a small part of the game.

Not so easy after all is it?  Might be more to consider than one might have thought?
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2007, 01:11:43 AM »
Originally posted by ROC
No, I don't think that's more fair.

The games draw rate is based on planes.  The GVs get the same draw rates going 35mph as planes do going 200+

Now, what you are suggesting is that when you reduce the draw rate of the clutter on the ground then the vehicles disappear.  Well, that means when those rates are reduced to make the clutter go away so that the plane performance improves then the planes would also go away at the same distance the GVs went away, but since the planes go faster it would severely hamper the playability of the air war.  Those pesky planes up there would simply pop up a whole lot quicker considering they are flying so much faster.

Now, you could devise a completely different performance system for ground.

That would of course put a great deal of effort into the staff time to counter this minimal element in the game, which again, is a Flight Based Game.

So no, because some people are petty in a vehicle is no reason to change the drawing system that will adversely affect the majority of the players.

Personally, I'd prefer that the developers spend time on new planes and maps then wasting it on such a minor problem in a small part of the game.

Not so easy after all is it?  Might be more to consider than one might have thought?

I originally posted I thought it should be full vis forced because the map is built with those objects so they should be seen. The other option sounded reasonable to me as well. As said by another in this thread, you would have to have a pretty bad PC to not be able to play this game at full vis in GV's. My 4 year old PC was able to play GV's just fine at full vis, until I replaced it this year with a new build.

It might be a small problem for you likely because you probably don't GV very much. There are a lot of people however that do GV a good portion of their play time. So it's not any less important IMO than some dweeby way to glitch while flying a airplane.
"strafing"

Offline The Fury

• Silver Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007, 04:44:19 AM »
So this is how i get killed by the guy i can never see in gvs :confused:
The Few
England    www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
The Few  (Tour 77)                                                                                            Currently Flying as Fury

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2007, 05:54:49 AM »
this to me is kinda gamey but ow well. it is not going to be changed due to the high amount of players that do have crapy walmart speacials.

ROC is correct on there is way more then you think there is to fixing this problem as you would say. you want it to be forced into full vis, are you nuts while GVin you should be in Ground Vis. If you are dieing alot to GV with their graphics turned down then you should better position yourself to be able to kill them first. Its what i do and i love gvin with the best of them.

I would agree i would like to see another fighter and some maps i would also like to see ToD as well. these things will come in due time, time is something i have and i am willing to wait. I hope the next plane added will not come down to a vote again. i would hate to see another Mid. size bomber added to the list.
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2007, 09:03:46 AM »
GVs are less important than airplanes in here, strafing. That's the way it's always been. That's why the GVs don't drive like GVs. Anyone ever driven a jeep, or a piece of armor? When stationary and parked on level ground with the engine off, and the gear box disengaged, would pushing the accelerator cause the tank to lurch backwards? The brakes, backwards?
How about why the tanks in AH steer magically steer without individual track brakes, or why they bounce off of trees and shrubs like they've been fired out of  a cannon. I've driven a jeep, and it did not roll end over end indefinitely when you hit the brakes too hard.

The ground game is already a farce (well, it's a game after all). There's so many other things that should be a higher priority than forcing people to run settings their hardware isn't up to.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2007, 09:48:40 AM »
Originally posted by crockett
Well as it was suggested above, if they can turn down quality settings, then it should also affect their ability to see the GV's at a distance. If they can't see the trees or the barn the GV is next too, well then it's not unreasonable to say they shouldn't see the GV either. Don't yea think that's more than fair?

Another thing.. before I built my new system. I ran this game on a Radeon 9800 pro  video card, in a PC that I built in 2003. I used to get on average of 20 -30 FPS but was often much less at times. Reguardless I still didn't have any issues running full detail in GV's. This was even after the terrain upgrades and when people used to puff smoke like crazy to hide behind.
I agree..

I play the whole game, planes, bombers, GV's..  I think it would be more fun to cruise to a cool hiding place on the edge of a tree line and wait till an unsuspecting tank rolls by and wack him.  The problem is, I can't see through the tree I am sitting next to, because I am sitting next to it.  My advisory can't see the tree from where he is sitting because he is far away.  He can lob shells and hit me, because of his distance, so the trees, which in RL provide cover, provide me nothing.  

I know some people will say "this is a game, not RL", but I would think it wouldn't be very hard to code the game so ALL objects, can't be seen if the detail slider is moved.  

If you can't see the tree at 2k, you should't see the tank either.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline swoop777

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.freewebs.com/swoop777
Ground Detail
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2007, 09:48:59 AM »
I totally agree with Strafing on this one I think it is cheap.  I also have a Walmart special and full graphics only affect me when I drive for 2 hours to get to the fuel strat and all the smoke starts up otherwise my walmart special handels full graphics just fine.  Further more how can you ambush sombody behind invisible obstructions?

or maybe we could add this beauty to kill troops!!!!
:aok

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2007, 12:28:52 PM »
Originally posted by Scca
I agree..

I play the whole game, planes, bombers, GV's..  I think it would be more fun to cruise to a cool hiding place on the edge of a tree line and wait till an unsuspecting tank rolls by and wack him.  The problem is, I can't see through the tree I am sitting next to, because I am sitting next to it.  My advisory can't see the tree from where he is sitting because he is far away.  He can lob shells and hit me, because of his distance, so the trees, which in RL provide cover, provide me nothing.  

I know some people will say "this is a game, not RL", but I would think it wouldn't be very hard to code the game so ALL objects, can't be seen if the detail slider is moved.  

If you can't see the tree at 2k, you shouldn't see the tank either.

Yep that's the worst part about it.. While you might be hiding in trees, you see the trees and can't see the other guy even if your graphics are set at low. Yet the guy 2k away can still see you and it's only a matter of time before he hits you.

Kilz.. There is only so much you can do other than hope the guy is a bad aim. Sure I have my own tricks for trying to counter this, but it's pretty much only for defense. There isn't much you can do if you are the one advancing. btw killz ground mode is nothing more that full vis settings if I'm not mistaken.

Honestly I'd love to hear from someone whom can say their PC won't run the GV end of this game at full detail. Swoop just said his PC will run it, and I know that my 4 year old PC would run it before I built my new one.

IMO the only way to fix this and I really don't think it would be a hard thing to do, is to force ground mode view for all GV's.  I mean lets get real, how many people are actually playing this game with a 900mhz p3 with 256mb's of ram?

I wouldn't expect HTC crew to drop everything to fix this, right this min.  I do however think it should be something that is put on the plate for one of the future updates.
"strafing"

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2007, 12:41:47 PM »
Originally posted by crockett
snip
btw killz ground mode is nothing more that full vis settings if I'm not mistaken.

Honestly I'd love to hear from someone whom can say their PC won't run the GV end of this game at full detail. Swoop just said his PC will run it, and I know that my 4 year old PC would run it before I built my new one.

IMO the only way to fix this and I really don't think it would be a hard thing to do, is to force ground mode view for all GV's.  I mean lets get real, how many people are actually playing this game with a 900mhz p3 with 256mb's of ram?

I think you are mistaken on the the ground settings. Read up on the topic.

Swoop says his PC will run it, but that doesn't mean anything whatsoever. We know nothing about swoop's PC.

If you want to hear from people who have trouble with graphics issues, look in the tech support and bug forums. There are plenty, whether you know about them or not.

Ground Vis mode, Ground Detail Range, and Object Detail are different things. Do you even know which one you're trying to have changed?
mook
++Blue Knights++

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Ground Detail
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2007, 12:53:55 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
I think you are mistaken on the the ground settings. Read up on the topic.

Swoop says his PC will run it, but that doesn't mean anything whatsoever. We know nothing about swoop's PC.

If you want to hear from people who have trouble with graphics issues, look in the tech support and bug forums. There are plenty, whether you know about them or not.

Ground Vis mode, Ground Detail Range, and Object Detail are different things. Do you even know which one you're trying to have changed?

I think you are reading more into what Swoop said.. Read it again..

I also have a Walmart special and full graphics only affect me when I drive for 2 hours to get to the fuel strat and all the smoke starts up otherwise my walmart special handels full graphics just fine.

Hub, I also just looked through the current 3 pages in the tech support forum and I didn't see a single post devoted to people whom can't run the GV end of the game do to graphic's issues. Maybe you could point out all these topics where so many are having issues.
"strafing"